Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2021 10:49:38 PM EDT
I just bought a m274 mule and plan to use it on a mix of private property, State Trust land, and BLM land.  Given this is a 1960's military "off highway" vehicle, I'm now going through the process of getting it titled/registered and have run into conflicting info at seemingly every turn. Here are the main things I'm trying to figure out:

1. Does it need to be smog tested? Given it is from the 1960's I believe it should be a historic vehicle and exempt from testing. However, I've been told by 1 DMV person that there is no "historic vehicle" category for off highway vehicles and to get historic vehicle status I would have to register it as a highway vehicle (and configure it as such -- which I don't want to do). Is anyone aware if you can, and if so how, register a OHV with RV plates as a "historic vehicle"?
  2. The next issue I have run into is what equipment is required to operate this OHV. Several sites, including https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/faqs/ say "Brake light and at least one red rear reflector" and "Rearview mirror" is required, but the only legislation I can find on the matter (ARS 28-1179) doesn't mention either of those things. Based on that ARS section, I believe all I need is brakes, headlights/taillights (if operating before/after daylight hours), a muffler, and a spark arrestor. Anyone aware of another law that says differently?
  3. Is liability insurance required? The same lady a talked to at the DMV for #1 said I would need to have proof of insurance to register as a OHV, but I cannot find any definitive source for this and a Google search just turns up a bunch of templated insurance company sales pages offering ATV insurance, but nothing specifically saying it is required for AZ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Liability insurance is pretty cheap.  Don't leave home without it.  You can probably get a historical vehicle plate and get insurance even cheaper.  Get an on road plate and then get the off road sticker.  No smog will be required.

I went to MVD to sort out my OHV/ATV.  No way it would work on line, their computer system is a piece of shit.  Don't ask them too many questions and don't confuse them.  Decide on exactly what you need before you go in and be specific.  Take more paperwork and info than you think you will need.  Only give them what they ask for.

The end cost was much cheaper for on and off road plates/stickers than what I was seeing on line.

That is the only trip to MVD I have made in 15 years. I was pissed that I had to set foot in that vile place, but kept my cool and things went pretty smooth.

I have a horn, turn signals, mirrors, one brake light, and my vehicle has not been inspected.  Cops don't even look our way and we drive it all around a busy substation, including through their parking lot. I have an on and off road plate and full coverage insurance and it is pretty damn cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top