Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2024 3:51:36 PM EDT
Hey, my son is an intern for a company whose parent company is out of Tennessee (Nashville) and they're sending him there to work next week.

Is there areas that he should avoid for safety reasons? He's quiet and reserved-his company treats him like a little brother so I imagine they will have contacts for him within the company. I wish I could go with him!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Hey, my son is an intern for a company whose parent company is out of Tennessee (Nashville) and they're sending him there to work next week.

Is there areas that he should avoid for safety reasons? He's quiet and reserved-his company treats him like a little brother so I imagine they will have contacts for him within the company. I wish I could go with him!
View Quote
North & East Nashville IMO.    Typically the farther out the better it gets.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prae:
North & East Nashville IMO.    Typically the farther out the better it gets.
View Quote

Meh, east Nashville is where all the trendy kids hang now, germantown etc. but it is hit or miss. Where’s he staying? Downtown? Are you asking for places to hang out safely downtown or places to live?
Avoid Antioch/madison
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bodybagger] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#4]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:

Meh, east Nashville is where all the trendy kids hang now, germantown etc. but it is hit or miss. Where's he staying? Downtown? Are you asking for places to hang out safely downtown or places to live?
Avoid Antioch/madison
View Quote
Thank you everyone, where is the best place to stay. His company is putting him up in a hotel-he's paying for his car. He is into guitars and music but he grew up in a town of 120 and was the shy kid there. He's 25 and he'll be fine. I just curious if there's certain places to avoid?

do y'all have toll roads? That's a mind fuck for us west coasters.

He's staying in a hotel on Belinda Avenue if that helps
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone, where is the best place to stay. His company is putting him up in a hotel-he's paying for his car. He is into guitars and music but he grew up in a town of 120 and was the shy kid there. He's 25 and he'll be fine. I just curious if there's certain places to avoid?

View Quote

Toll roads? I don't think I've seen a single one in the 27 years I've lived here.

Stay away from Bordeaux (across the river from Tennessee State University, one of Nashville's HBCU's and relatively close to the TN State Prison for Women if that helps describe the area) and also keep out of Antioch (south/southeast Nashville), which tends to be the area most affordable for recent immigrants and others who are struggling financially (as you probably already know, the financially strapped tend to be the ones most likely to be victimized violently by their neighbors). I would also caution him to stay off Murfreesboro Pike if at all possible.

Tourists love to visit "The District," the entertainment area centered around 2nd and Broadway (think the place where all the country stars are opening bars and where the Country Music Hall of Fame is located. Unfortunately, the homeless, the thieves, and the violent drunks with little to no impulse control also tend to congregate in the area. People get assaulted or hit by drunk drivers all over the downtown area, so it's a good idea to travel in a group, don't stay out too late, and don't stray away from crowds-especially if he's been drinking-and be careful crossing streets such as Broadway.

Belinda Drive appears to be in Hermitage, which is a fairly nice area in the suburbs of Nashville. It still has issues, but it's not anywhere near as dangerous as Bordeaux, Antioch, or downtown. If he does go downtown, tell him to take an Uber and go with others from work. Parking in Nashville is an expensive pain in the ass, not to mention the parking areas tend to be perfect spots to be robbed or to have your car broken into in a quest for anything valuable.

Being into guitars and music, he's coming to the right town. I swear I'm the only person who has ever lived in Nashville who doesn't play an instrument or sing (I'm pretty certain there are court orders in effect preventing me from trying to do either). Between the Country Music Hall of Fame, Gibson Guitars, the Mother Church (the Ryman), the Grand Ole Opry, and other sights, he should be well entertained.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

He should visit Gruhn guitars while he's in town.  There's some cool units in there.  I saw a stage used by inxs bass.  I've seen one semi famous musician in there too, the drummer for Boston.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:

He should visit Gruhn guitars while he's in town.  There's some cool units in there.  I saw a stage used by inxs bass.  I've seen one semi famous musician in there too, the drummer for Boston.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:

That's so awesome.  Love Boston Thanks for the information, it will be up his alley
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get to0 drunk and out of hand on Broadway.  They tend to frown on that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Woodsman20:
Don't get to0 drunk and out of hand on Broadway.  They tend to frown on that.
View Quote

Bouncers on Demonbreun will kill ya ass for it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#11]
terrible
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

Pretty accurate
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139944/1000003178-3152351.png
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Yes….Pretty accurate LoL
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebel_rifle] [#13]
OP, this just made the news. Make sure your son uses some common sense and keeps his wits about him. Unfortunately Nashville is a big city now with big city shit going down.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2024/03/12/parents-face-their-worst-nightmare-when-son-disappears-college-trip/
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
terrible news.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Article said he was 6'7". That's going to make him stick out and get messed with by a group of thugs. Especially with that loud shirt on. Those guys should have had a buddy system.
View Quote

The Tennessean had some video of him right before he disappeared. He was pretty messed up it appeared, enough so that he was tossed from the bar.

Lots of lessons to be learned here, unfortunately it looks like he won’t have the opportunity to learn from them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

The Tennessean had some video of him right before he disappeared. He was pretty messed up it appeared, enough so that he was tossed from the bar.

Lots of lessons to be learned here, unfortunately it looks like he won’t have the opportunity to learn from them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
Article said he was 6'7". That's going to make him stick out and get messed with by a group of thugs. Especially with that loud shirt on. Those guys should have had a buddy system.

I saw a TV news report where they laid out a timeline of locations, based on security video from various spots and one or two hits from his phone.  Looks like he was headed in the general direction of the greenway where a homeless guy tried to rape a jogger, not too long ago.  I suspect that by the time his buddies reported him missing, it was already too late.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Yikes! My heart skipped a beat when I saw the height and picture of the kid. My kid is pretty smart and isn't a heavy drinker. His work treats him like a little brother too so I don't think he will be out of anyone's sight. My kid's a bit bigger not quite 6'7

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#20]
glad to hear he is safe.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Pretty accurate
View Quote

accurate
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

accurate
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

Pretty accurate

accurate

Not quite as accurate as it used to be.  For example, on the west side where it goes from "Detroit", to "meh", to "Republicans" as you move farther west, the 'tall skinnies' plague has been fairly rampant in the "meh" and "Republicans" areas, so I wouldn't be so sure about the accuracy of those two areas.  Should also be more entries for "Homeless people", but I can see where keeping the map current on their locations can be troublesome, with them shifting around to follow the 'food supply'.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I don’t know how I missed this thread!

Glad his trip went well. Next time remember me if he gets in trouble. I’m only an hour from Nashville.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I don't know how I missed this thread!

Glad his trip went well. Next time remember me if he gets in trouble. I'm only an hour from Nashville.
View Quote
@arownagain thanks. I did think of you! You would have been my first call if he did have any problems. Wyatt worked like 56 hours so he didn't get much opportunity to explore. I was hoping he would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top