Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 4:55:28 PM EDT
Hello neighbors...Wanted to check in with the locals and gather what I can about certain areas before I head over next week.

Any places that I should avoid?  I don't plan on stopping in any big population areas...being I'm from the backwood mountains of East TN, I'd feel better about finding a smaller rural town to catch totality at.  Any info, tips, customs, do's or don'ts...it all helps.

I'll be making this trip alone.  Originally was supposed to be a family trip that my at the time wife and I were going to take our daughter to see it.  She was just three years old during the 2017 eclipse.  Well, life happens and we're not a family anymore.  I had honestly given up on even trying to catch this one but my daughter talked me into going, even if she can't go with me.  It will likely be my last chance to catch a total solar eclipse and it's something I've wanted to do ever since missing totality in 2017.

I appreciate any advice you all can share.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Draw a line from Cape Girardeau to Poplar Bluff and you'll be in the path of totality. There ain't much down there. There's lots of National Forest Service land.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be in an extremely rural area. The Bootheel / SEMO is beautiful and quiet. Not a whole lot going on, including cities. A few areas of tourist-y interest, like big spring or Jesse James' caverns. Really not much advice to offer though. Find a nice place off the side of the road and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Draw a line from Cape Girardeau to Poplar Bluff and you'll be in the path of totality. There ain't much down there. There's lots of National Forest Service land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Poplar Bluff and the surrounding area was the first spot I was looking at.  Good to know it's more rural.

Originally Posted By zapthycat:
You'll be in an extremely rural area. The Bootheel / SEMO is beautiful and quiet. Not a whole lot going on, including cities. A few areas of tourist-y interest, like big spring or Jesse James' caverns. Really not much advice to offer though. Find a nice place off the side of the road and enjoy.

That's the plan.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The closest hotel I could find was in Farmington. Our plan is to go there Monday night and then head south on Tuesday. The plan is to try to find a place to pull off and park near the center line of the totality and wait. I'm not crazy about that plan since I like a bit more certainty, but that's what I have. I do not plan on going into either Poplar Bluff or Cape, simply because I don't want to deal with a lot of traffic when it's over.

FWIW, when the eclipse passed over Jefferson CIty in 2017 I simply closed the store I owned at the time and went out on the lawn out back. This wasn't any kind of a public area but it was next to a gas station and a McDonalds. We probably had 40-60 people on lawn chairs in the yard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The closest hotel I could find was in Farmington. Our plan is to go there Monday night and then head south on Tuesday. The plan is to try to find a place to pull off and park near the center line of the totality and wait. I'm not crazy about that plan since I like a bit more certainty, but that's what I have. I do not plan on going into either Poplar Bluff or Cape, simply because I don't want to deal with a lot of traffic when it's over.

FWIW, when the eclipse passed over Jefferson CIty in 2017 I simply closed the store I owned at the time and went out on the lawn out back. This wasn't any kind of a public area but it was next to a gas station and a McDonalds. We probably had 40-60 people on lawn chairs in the yard.
View Quote

Sounds about like my plan

I lucked out and found a hotel in Union City, TN.  About a 2-3 hour drive, in normal traffic towards the center of totality.  Gonna leave pretty damn early just to make sure I can get somewhere close in time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:39:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:48:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#8]
Scout camps in Knob Lick and Silva have activities planned with plenty of room.  I'll be at S-F with my youngest son setting up for his Summer camp job. Only reason we can get in there that early is due to eclipse action.

If you have any Scout experience might be worth reaching out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Came here for the same reason. I got a hotel room between Springfield and St. Louis. The plan is to spend the night there, then pick a location in the area the next morning based on the forecast. I'm unfamiliar with the area, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Came here for the same reason. I got a hotel room between Springfield and St. Louis. The plan is to spend the night there, then pick a location in the area the next morning based on the forecast. I'm unfamiliar with the area, though.
View Quote

Take a look at the links in post #7 above. Lots of good suggestions on those sites.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Yeah, I was going to say Elephant Rock or Johnson's Shut Ins, but I bet they'd be packed.

OP, if you're going to be around Pop Bluff, find a church or something to watch it.  Parking lots shouldn't be busy on a weekday.

The area's nice, but keep your doors locked.  The methbillys will steal anything not nailed down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Yeah, I was going to say Elephant Rock or Johnson's Shut Ins, but I bet they'd be packed.

OP, if you're going to be around Pop Bluff, find a church or something to watch it.  Parking lots shouldn't be busy on a weekday.

The area's nice, but keep your doors locked.  The methbillys will steal anything not nailed down.
View Quote

Hopefully I'll be able to find some area where I can just park and throw a lawn chair next to the vehicle.  That's the plan anyway.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

View Quote

Elephant Rocks would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By goosebob:

Hopefully I'll be able to find some area where I can just park and throw a lawn chair next to the vehicle.  That's the plan anyway.
View Quote

Right on.  However it works out I hope you find a good spot, the weather cooperates, and you have a good time.

We were right in the middle of totality for the 2017 eclipse and it was really neat.  

We've got family on the east side of the state and kicked around going to see it this year, but the schedule just doesn't fit for us so I'm a little jelly.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a number of places plotted depending on weather, this page will help a lot.
Was planning on being at work, but that isn't a problem at the moment...
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Ended up just south of Missouri in a little place called Success, Arkansas.  Population below 100.  I parked in a little playground/park area and was the only one there the whole time.  There were a few families out in their yards on down the road, but I was all by myself to take it all in.  Hope you guys got to enjoy it as much as I did.

DSC_0031 by Phillip Davis, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top