Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well we are here!!!  The drive from Baker to here was really easy.  

Looking forward to our new beginnings in Montana.

Saw 4 Mule Deer and a couple White Tail in our "yard" last night.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

When I first moved here I kept getting woken up by the deer running across the concrete walkway going between my house and shop.

Pretty odd isn't it?

I don't worry about them but I sure do keep them out of my now-fenced back yard.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats on making it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All good advice. But something that's been left out so far: Whatever you do, DON'T take Skalkaho Pass. It may appear to be a shorter route when coming from the East, but it's not and you'll regret it.
View Quote

Skalkaho Pass is not all that bad. It has more turnouts compared to the past years past.  '14 was closed for repairs due to a land slide and slight widwidening. I haul an off-road trailer which is a breeze. During the summer the grade coming from the west will get chuck holes and anything low clearance  will struggle or even get stuck in your tracks. There are a few tight corners that will challenge a trailer longer than 20ft. I followed a truck w/ trailer of about 24 ft. The guy seemed to be a local. There is about 400 yards that are a challenge, but doable.  Saw moose  that last time  I went through.

Talk about dangerous, go downstream on Rock Creek Road and make the turns  around the 2 Hogsbacks hairpins.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All good advice. But something that's been left out so far: Whatever you do, DON'T take Skalkaho Pass. It may appear to be a shorter route when coming from the East, but it's not and you'll regret it.
View Quote

Coming over it in a loaded logging truck can be quite entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Skalkaho Pass is not all that bad. It has more turnouts compared to the past years past.  '14 was closed for repairs due to a land slide and slight widwidening. I haul an off-road trailer which is a breeze. During the summer the grade coming from the west will get chuck holes and anything low clearance  will struggle or even get stuck in your tracks. There are a few tight corners that will challenge a trailer longer than 20ft. I followed a truck w/ trailer of about 24 ft. The guy seemed to be a local. There is about 400 yards that are a challenge, but doable.  Saw moose  that last time  I went through.

Talk about dangerous, go downstream on Rock Creek Road and make the turns  around the 2 Hogsbacks hairpins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not that bad. I use it several times a year. But it isn't any faster than going around unless you're in a smaller vehicle that can handle the washboard and manage to pass the people doing 5mph. I also would not want to do it with a caravan of 3 vehicles + a trailer, one of which being a big uhaul.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Been here a week or so.  Met 5 family's from Kalifornia.  All great people and VERY conservative (initial observation).  

I love it so far.  Here's a pic of my niece riding one of my animals.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Christ!!!

You have Mules already?

I know who I'm taking Elk hunting this year.
View Quote
Lol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Christ!!!

You have Mules already?

View Quote

I am pretty sure he lives closer to me
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Christ!!!

You have Mules already?

I'll be closer than both of you when I set up camp on his property.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Warrant Officers, raise your hands.  

View Quote

Everybody needs a terminal lance on their team.

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Warrant Officers, raise your hands.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#16]
WTF!  took this 15 miles to the store today legally?  In my neck of the woods in NC you can't drive it on a dirt road!

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276871/IMG_20210730_121743451-2034160.jpgWTF!  took this 15 miles to the store today legally?  In my neck of the woods in NC you can't drive it on a dirt road!

View Quote

You moved to a free state and are surprised at the freedom?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/276871/IMG_20210730_121743451-2034160.jpgWTF!  took this 15 miles to the store today legally?  In my neck of the woods in NC you can't drive it on a dirt road!

I thought I was pretty free in NC.  THE truth has been seen!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF!  took this 15 miles to the store today legally?  In my neck of the woods in NC you can't drive it on a dirt road!

View Quote

Did you have a rifle in it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
You can pack a pistol open or concealed without a permit, including AR15's, and open or concealed carry any bladed weapons of any blade length, including swords, etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G19
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You can pack a pistol open or concealed without a permit, including AR15's, and open or concealed carry any bladed weapons of any blade length, including swords, etc.
View Quote
Which is great because my NC permit expires in November.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Do they GAF about braces?

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've open carried my 10.5" AR pistol with brace in Kalispell and never got a second glance from cops. I'm sure every cop in town has seen it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've open carried my 10.5" AR pistol with brace in Kalispell and never got a second glance from cops. I'm sure every cop in town has seen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Practically speaking no one cares about guns here. The only exceptions I've found are certain cities such as Missoula/Bozeman/Livingston.

Most places you might get a hard look to see if you're a threat but most people won't care if you're packing a rifle or anything else openly.

Quoted:

Back before 2017 there were a very few exceptions. In fact the only thing that comes to mind is the now-removed "hidden blade" prohibition. I think the only thing that impacted was swords in the form of a sword cane when carried without a CC permit but those days are thankfully gone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
G19
View Quote

10mm is what you need
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

10mm is what you need
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G19

10mm is what you need

XDM 10's are very popular in my AO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

10mm is what you need
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G19

10mm is what you need

I've put off getting one because I really don't want to stock another caliber.  Now that I live here I'm getting one for sure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've put off getting one because I really don't want to stock another caliber.  Now that I live here I'm getting one for sure.
View Quote

I got an XDM 10 in anticipation of our move here.

The way I see it, I don't need to stock much of it. A couple hundred rounds of practice and a few boxes of Buffalo Bore 230gr hard cast and I'm set for a while.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check Axmen on the 93 before you get into Missoula.  I got a G20 and G40 from them.  They have blue label guns but not true blue label prices but still a better price than Cabelas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Love my XDm 10mm 5.25. Far better than my G20 was.

There's also Selway Armory up on N. Reserve, and Bob Wards also has a decent selection of stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Check Axmen on the 93 before you get into Missoula.  I got a G20 and G40 from them.  They have blue label guns but not true blue label prices but still a better price than Cabelas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A G40 for a decent price? How's it compare to Shedhorn in Ennis price-wise? I've been looking for a G34 or G17L at any reasonable price for a long time.

As much as I'd like to stick with 9x19mm I'm more interested in the long barrel/slide than the exact caliber. Another 10mm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A G40 for a decent price? How's it compare to Shedhorn in Ennis price-wise? I've been looking for a G34 or G17L at any reasonable price for a long time.

As much as I'd like to stick with 9x19mm I'm more interested in the long barrel/slide than the exact caliber. Another 10mm wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
View Quote

Not sure.  It would have to be a hell of a deal for me to drive all the way to Ennis from the Bitterroots.  Are they a Blue Label dealer?  The G40 works for me with my vision as I have a Leupold DPP on it.  Carry it in a Diamond D chest rig.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not sure.  It would have to be a hell of a deal for me to drive all the way to Ennis from the Bitterroots.  Are they a Blue Label dealer?  The G40 works for me with my vision as I have a Leupold DPP on it.  Carry it in a Diamond D chest rig.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I end up all over the state so sometimes I don't consider the distance involved.

I'm not actually certain whether they're a Blue Label dealer. They've had crazy good prices on new Glocks for years though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Right on all.  Lots of info.

So, who among you actually live close to Victor?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in Hamilton.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm in Hamilton.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Hamilton.
Beers?
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm about 3 hours North of you in Whitefish.
View Quote
Not sure where that's at.  But, have beers, will travel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kila here. We're practically neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm like halfway between you guys, closer to eagle, on the west side.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on the west side of Kalispell
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m pretty close.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm on the west side of Kalispell
View Quote

We should really get the Flathead crew together sometime.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We have in the past.

At one point we grilled steaks on my back deck.

We can do it again.
View Quote

I'm game for anytime after Labor Day at this point. Once my house is a bit more up to speed, I'll be happy to host as well.

Just this week I replaced a septic pump below my guest cabin (eww), replaced improper/rotted beams, hung stairs and placed balusters on my main and upper decks, reinforced both decks with bracing and built a railing with balusters in an interior room.

This weekend and next week I get to start rerunning black iron pipe for the propane appliances in the house including the downdraft cooktop, double oven, dryer and furnace. Then I get to start gutting the main bathroom.

Fun times buying a project house in the Flathead! I got a "deal" on it though so all is good, and I can see Glacier from my living room and deck when the smoke clears out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Beers?
View Quote

I'd love to but have to take a raincheck until the newly acquired puppy gets out of the Tasmanian Devil stage.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top