Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2020 8:05:24 PM EDT
My commute to/from work was borderline surreal - no traffic at all, no cars on the road.

Things are awfully quiet around here.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ll find out today when I venture out for some needed supplies.

Work sent me home Wednesday because a church my wife caters for had 6 people test positive and one of them died. I felt morally responsible to disclose it to my job. The event was on the 7th, but we didn’t find out about it until the 18th on the news.

No one in the house is symptomatic, and everyone’s temperatures are normal. Otherwise I’d just keep my ass at home and make due.

I work construction, so if I don’t work I don’t get paid and I can’t collect unemployment without either a layoff or a positive test.

Things are getting interesting that’s for sure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like construction in general is still allowed.

My home builder sent out an email saying the progress of our house won’t be impacted because all trades are still working.

Not sure if that is your arena, but either way, I wish you the best.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
It is. Construction is considered an essential. It’s just a precautionary measure taken by my employer. I can sustain for awhile off savings, although not ideal. I know plenty of folks out there are in far worse situations than I.

I’m a union laborer, and for the past couple years I’ve worked for an outfit that builds pools for city parks and schools. Seems goofy to me that that is considered essential. If I was still working Pipelenes sure, but pools.... lol

ETA: Stores were open and fairly well stocked. One store would only let one person per family in and they had limits on how much of something you could buy, for instance meat you could only buy 2 packages. This was a restaurant supply type store so the packages of meat were quite large.

Then we went to a Walmart grocery store. They also were decently stocked, no limits on items that I’m aware of. They didn’t have any TP, Kleenex or paper towels. We only bought what we needed for about a week or two and can supplement with other dry/non-perishable goods.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If folks would quit buying in to the "pandemic that isn't" and just continue as usual eventually the media and government will give up this farce.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like construction in general is still allowed.

My home builder sent out an email saying the progress of our house won’t be impacted because all trades are still working.

Not sure if that is your arena, but either way, I wish you the best.

View Quote

Yes construction is ongoing, have to go to ONT tomorrow.
Minimal flight traffic, alot of cargo running.( no Air China, thank god)
Only traffic is by shopping or the egg farm on Grove Ave.
Was up at 02:30(still on Wi time), and only 4 cars went by from 03:-05:00.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If this was real they would stop all cash transactions , card use only.

Another thing are carts used by merchants, everybody and their dirty little cousins  are touching those things .

If social distancing was such a big deal they would close hone depot and so on.  

Fake news , fake news and more fake news.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Another thing are carts used by merchants, everybody and their dirty little cousins  are touching those things .

View Quote

But what about the homeless and nonspeakess?
I thought NYC catered, but this place takes the prize.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exempt
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It's been another week and still nothing to report from here.

Supposedly, one guy at work (who works in a different building) was diagnosed with COVID-19.  Whether that's real or not, I do not know.  So far, only that one, unconfirmed case.

How's by you?

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I work at a hospital.

I can't say which.

Seems every week there are new provisions to accept new covid patients and it makes me uneasy. Capacity increases are growing. Constant reminder that this isn't going away.

Sucks.

Couple of weeks ago you knew where the trouble spots were and you knew to protect yourself in those areas (PPE). Now it's like the whole hospital wears masks everywhere. Some are rather optimistic in spite of it. I'm glad that there are those that take it in stride and don't constantly rub it in your face that it's going on. The smiles and work carry on as usual. The culture of the hospital hasn't changed even though the customs have. Can't complain about traffic either.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Here things are quiet here in the SFV , had a hard time finding eggs , bread , milk , ketchup and of course TP .
Finally found TP and eggs and some bread .
Right am now looking for Nitrile gloves not availble at Harbor Freight for the next  6 weeks .
I am a considered a non essentional  worker .

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
A little slow getting into local Costco.  Last week looked during geezer hour and a long line.  This week went Tuesday afternoon and they were cycling people in every 15 minutes.  Low customer load inside.  Some shorts and outs.  Wife is unhappy with new gas station hours, she used to go in before a relatively early shift and had no waits.  Seemed very quiet the other day so maybe off commute times isn't too bad.  Late morning trip to Winco the other day, again, letting people in as others leave.  Found store brand tp, limits.  Not as good as Costco on spraying carts, etc.  Neither seemed problems for milk and some meat products.  Still iffy on pastas, rice, flour, etc.  Wasn't shopping for bread or eggs this time but they both had plenty.

Some take outs open.  Chains seem to be doing better, some small local spots may not continue.  Daughter and son-in-law (almost) both work for high end restaurants and are furloughed.  A few "better" to "good" restaurants have gone to enhanced/different take out but real limited.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't live there but Hayward fire dept held a drive through covid testing clinic.  Over 25% of those tested were positive for kung flu.  All participants were screened for fevers/symptoms prior to testing.  

WuFlu in Hayward

Got news this morning that they're doing a drive through clinic in Fremont soon.  Expect similar results.  Whether you believe it's real or not the  wuhan flu is running through the population in the east bay.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Daughter called this morning asking about paper towels so I loaded my trunk up with paper towels and decided to see what I could find on my way over to her house without going to Costco.

Walmart and Target are now both using the Costco model of a controlled main entry point only,  a limited amount of people allowed in the store at a time,  Target had a whiteboard listing out of stock items,  Walmart did not.  lol  It wasn't that way two days ago.

eta The vast majority of customers at both stores were wearing masks of various types ranging from improvised cloth masks, surgical masks,  dust masks and N95 masks.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have Scott ProMasks with NBC filters for everyone.  

Filters are available but they are not inexpensive.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
With each passing day, I see more and more traffic in my area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Things are fine by me.  The stores were a little light on some stuff today.

I was looking at Mountain High because of the weather,  they are getting some great snow.  It would have been a terrific end to their season.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#20]
They are supposed to get another foot or two tonight and into tomorrow.  If only,...
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Mostly normal around me. No sit down restaurants, delivery or pick up only. Not sure about movie theaters. 6ft between folks standing in line to make purchases.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Every time I go out for a bike ride, the traffic is noticeably heavier than the last time.  

As I ride, I pass one shop in particular called "DECADENCE".  It is always open and has a crowd of young people outside, more so even than normal - no masks, no social distancing,... just people having a good time.  It's almost as if, for that one store and its youthful customers, the COVID quarantine does not exist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Another week has passed.

Yesterday's (Saturday) bike ride had local traffic almost back to normal levels.  The bike path has been barricaded off, so I have to ride on the streets (which I actually prefer).  

Many bicycle riders are displaying horrendous disregard for the rules of the road given the light automobile traffic of late.  The thing is, the cars are doing the same thing - blowing thru STOP signs; aggressive maneuvers/passing; excessive speed for the conditions,...

More and more and more people are going about their business as usual, thank goodness.

Still, it's a lot of fun to ride.  It's good for you, too.  You have to ride responsibly and obey the rules of the road!

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought this was somehow relevant.

Link to ABC7 News article comparing NY to CA

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Traffic is getting ever more dense during my commutes, so people are obviously getting back to work.

On my bike rides, I see lots of people out and about.  I even saw one bar open!  Yes, it was crowded inside.

On my trip to Lowes, everyone was giving me dirty looks because I don't wear a mask.

This will become high theater during the coming re-election.

Oh well, life goes on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Traffic is back to near normal levels - jammed.

I went to an outdoor-service ice cream shop the other night.  I got there just in time to miss the HUGE line that formed behind me.  Everyone there was wearing masks.  I was not.  They were giving me all sorts of dirty looks, including the person serving us at the window.  

The thing is, the masked marauders (partons) were all jammed together next to each other in a single line despite the numerous signs admonishing them to stay 6' apart while they waited in the half-hour line.  I wonder if they even recognized what they were doing.  

Yet, somehow, I was the one who was worthy of their scorn.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#27]
It's been almost a month since I bumped this thread but here it goes.

Things are getting back to normal here - I've sat in several traffic back ups going to and from work.

There just aren't enough people at work; neither at my workplace nor others.  One guy said something like this to me, "If it's work, we like it."  He was sincere, too.  So, I sent a bunch of work over there to give them something to do.  I suspect there are a lot of people like that out there, people who are out of work or working on "make-work" assignments who'd like some real work to do.

It's been too long,...months.  My apologies to those who are suffering from it but, IMO, the entirety of the response by the elected "leaders", their entire approach to managing the Corona virus, is BS.

Take care everyone.  Do what's best for you and yours.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Went to a local meat market.  the line was out the door and down the street some.  Guess I won't wait till the day before a good tri-tip next time I need one.  Otherwise it was odd.  some empty parking lots and some pretty busy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Went to a local meat market.  the line was out the door and down the street some.  Guess I won't wait till the day before a good tri-tip next time I need one.  Otherwise it was odd.  some empty parking lots and some pretty busy.
View Quote

At the very beginning of these absurdities, we signed up for a subscription meat delivery service.  We have been getting great meats at lower prices than you might think. Prices are definitely NOT like Omaha steaks or other ridiculously priced delivery services.  They have top quality beef, pork, chicken, turkey as roasts, ground meats, bacon, sausage,... whatever.  They get delivered directly to your front door.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

At the very beginning of these absurdities, we signed up for a subscription meat delivery service.  We have been getting great meats at lower prices than you might think. Prices are definitely NOT like Omaha steaks or other ridiculously priced delivery services.  They have top quality beef, pork, chicken, turkey as roasts, ground meats, bacon, sausage,... whatever.  They get delivered directly to your front door.
View Quote

Share your meat source?
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I have noticed traffic is building back towards normal.  I only drive local surface streets but they, too, are building back.

I've read a lot of news about murders, arson and neighborhood take overs.  The thing is, there just isn't any of that anywhere in my area.  It has been 100% quiet.  I am pleased by that.

How are things by you?

Link Posted: 7/24/2020 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Some big firecrackers a little while ago.  Stirred up the local Neighborhood groups on the net but no sirens. So I guess my original identification as fireworks and not shots was correct. I guess the neighborhood asshole is still with us.

Had to return to North OC from Santa Monica yesterday at about 3 o'clock.  Traffic heavy, hate to see it when it was "normal".

We haven't been over there for a long time, so drove by the pier.  Interesting, no tents in Santa Monica, cross the line in to LA and tents pop up all over.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#33]
As I turned south towards home, I couldn't help but notice a blocks long traffic back up waiting to go the other way and get onto the freeway.  

It's been so many months since I've seen one of those, I almost didn't recognize it for what it was.  They were such a common sight and yet I haven't seen one in a while.

I literally cheered.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top