Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2018 2:51:12 PM EDT
Anyone else getting ready? Last storm I had to run on generator for 4 days. Im going to be a little better prepared this time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Expecting less than an inch in Nova.  The snowblower I bought two years ago continues to mock me each time I pass it in my garage.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#2]
We are in the 18+ forecast
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I changed the oil, oil filter & air filter on my generator in an attempt to make the storm go find someone less prepared...  
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]

An experimental version of the American (GFS-FV3) model shows light snow brushing Northern Virginia on Sunday afternoon, mainly south of Washington. (TropicalTidBits.com)

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I changed the oil, oil filter & air filter on my generator in an attempt to make the storm go find someone less prepared...  
View Quote
That usually works
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Mike Bettes

Computer models are projecting as much as 22" of snow for/near #Asheville, NC. That's more than the Superstorm of 1993.
Asheville: 12 to 24 inches
Blacksburg: 8 to 14 inches
Roanoke: 5 to 10 inches
Lynchburg: 3 to 6 inches
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Edmund, OK Walmart
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
meh.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
"Bread & Milk" -THE ORIGINAL VIDEO- vicdibitetto.net
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#10]
If you haven't already, check out the WXRISK guy on FaceBook, YouTube, and the web. His stuff is usually way more accurate than mainstream weather channels.

WXRISK Website

Cheers,

Zip
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't think this storm was a big deal, but Amtrack just cancelled my train to BWI on Monday.  How often are trains cancelled due to snow?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm suppose to be on the track Sunday (Summit Point), hoping that is either snows or remains dry during the day!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Expecting less than an inch in Nova.  The snowblower I bought two years ago continues to mock me each time I pass it in my garage.
View Quote
Thanks for keeping the snow away from Nova! You know how it goes, the year you say "fuck it!" and get rid of the snowblower it'll be Snowpocalypse II.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Snowblowers decrease the chance of actually having snowstorms.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you haven't already, check out the WXRISK guy on FaceBook, YouTube, and the web. His stuff is usually way more accurate than mainstream weather channels.

WXRISK Website

Cheers,

Zip
View Quote
That guy is one of the biggest AH on the planet.  He is pretty decent at weather but damn is he a douchewaffle.  His spelling and grammar often make his posts very difficult to read and God help you if you ask a question.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like it is staying well south in NC on the weather radar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That guy is one of the biggest AH on the planet.  He is pretty decent at weather but damn is he a douchewaffle.  His spelling and grammar often make his posts very difficult to read and God help you if you ask a question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WXRISK Website

Cheers,

Zip
I stopped following him when he started making leftist and anti-2A rants a while back.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Need to drive to NoVA Sunday for some Doctor Appointments Monday and Tuesday.

May as well take the Tahoe.
Almost no one is showing it doing all that much in Virginia.

Mostly in NC.

That big fat high sitting north of the low will keep it down south as they both move east.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
i just did my usual generator check pre-season.  Carburetor is hosed.  sure hope the power does not go out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#20]
5" in Roanoke at 9am.  Not supposed to stop until 10pm tonight.

We're getting a foot...
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Was snowing here in Appomattox at 7 when I rolled out of the sack. Still coming down and I've cleared the deck once. It was about 4 inches before noon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Snowblowers decrease the chance of actually having snowstorms.
View Quote
I think we all owe him a $5.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think we all owe him a $5.
View Quote
Last year my neighbor said everyone on our street should chip in to pay me back.

And I 100% knew it would happen.  Frankly, I'll be shocked if it ever snows again here...unless she starts to have issues starting.  Then it will be bread and milk time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Well it just switched over to rain/snow mix here between RVA and Williamsburg.  We have about 12-13" of snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

WXRISK Website

Cheers,

Zip
View Quote
Once again, this guy called it and the fools at the local news stations fucking blew it. I mean seriously they have an entire team and can't get it right and this guy called it days ago. NWS changes the snowfall predictions AFTER people are reporting more snow in the area! My 1 to 3 inches, which became 3-7, then 4-8, then 5-10 is 13 inches!!!! Way to go WTVR, WWBT and WRIC on the way off forecast.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Drove through it on the way home from the Skins game. Hit light flurries in Lorton and it got progressively worse as I went south. Got on 1 at Quantico and had issues mainly identifying lanes since they were either not plowed or covered again. Idiots in jeeps the entire time swerving around people as if they were invincible. Got onto west bound Rt3 by going through Mary Wash hospital. Even before the hill up Fall Hill Ave, cars were randomly stopped in the road with blinkers on. Rt3 was ok until I hit around Battlefield Dental. Traffic was almost at a dead stop. Numerous cars on the shoulders; some covered in snow some just pulled over or having slid in recently. Hold up looked to be two cars blocking a lane and trying to get traction up a hill. After that it was rough road conditions but not deathly if you drove carefully and had decent tires.

Worst part was getting home after 4 hours of driving and having to dig my car into the driveway. Looked like we had 6-8 inches or so. After my son and I got parked and settled I went out back and took him sledding for the first time in years. I expect most non main roads to be pretty rough until it warms up enough tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I stopped following him when he started making leftist and anti-2A rant a while back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WXRISK Website

Cheers,

Zip
I stopped following him when he started making leftist and anti-2A rant a while back.
Yeah, he may be a tool when it comes to 2A stuff, but just like actors, I don’t get my political guidance from weathermen. He’s been spot on on storm track and intensity. So in that regard, he’s a useful tool...
Stay safe my friends!

Z.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, he may be a tool when it comes to 2A stuff, but just like actors, I don't get my political guidance from weathermen. He's been spot on on storm track and intensity. So in that regard, he's a useful tool...
Stay safe my friends!

Z.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Last I checked we got about 9" in Charlottesville.  Buddy out in Crozet "says" he got 12."
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Left dad in Arlington and he did not have a single flake.

Home in Culpeper there is some on the ground but not all that much in town.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Typical storm in NOVA call for snow get 25 flakes, call for the snow to miss us and we get 10 inches.  But either way public school get outs.
View Quote
Years ago Arlington did NOT close on a call for 1/4 inch.

It was VERY cold that night and the little 1/4 inch did indeed fall.

As soon as a car drove on it it malted and instantly froze into ice.

Just about the whole county was a dead stop traffic jam.

School buses turned sideways across streets all over the county.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
i just did my usual generator check pre-season.  Carburetor is hosed.  sure hope the power does not go out.
View Quote
Is it surging up and down on idle?
Top Top