Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2022 9:24:52 PM EDT
After having an unwelcome visit from a 4ft Western Diamondback, I need snake tongs. Understandably, this is a piece of equipment I am reluctant to trust to Amazon reviews. I hope someone here can recommend something robust, well designed and confidence inspiring so I am ready to face he enemy when the need arises.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the pro version on this site.  The 6 foot long one.. they have served me well.

Tongs
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger S.6 with shorts, because my old dog freaks out when I start blasting full loads.

A gopher or king snake, I will relo to the far side of my land.  Rattlers get deaded.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger S.6 with shorts, because my old dog freaks out when I start blasting full loads.

A gopher or king snake, I will relo to the far side of my land.  Rattlers get deaded.
View Quote

I am with you, but can’t use a firearm as there are other homes within 1/4-mile. I have a handy shovel I could use I suppose, but my wife is squeamish about killing so that’s a no-go if she sees the damned thing before I do. Even with the shovel, I think I’d prefer to control the snake with tongs while I dispatch it… being chased by an angry, partially-decapitated rattlesnake does not sound like fun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Snake tongs are for girly men. Real men just pick em up.
how to catch a rattlesnake barehanded, one handed
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am with you, but can’t use a firearm as there are other homes within 1/4-mile. I have a handy shovel I could use I suppose, but my wife is squeamish about killing so that’s a no-go if she sees the damned thing before I do. Even with the shovel, I think I’d prefer to control the snake with tongs while I dispatch it… being chased by an angry, partially-decapitated rattlesnake does not sound like fun.
View Quote

This method does work.  I found a Mohave seeking refuge in my garage after tons of rain.  I could not shoot it where it was, so I captured with the tongs, grabbed an ax, and chopped its head off in my driveway.  Tongs do come in handy sometimes.  Sometimes you just want to move a good snake from a bad spot to a good spot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qboRFb8Zrug
View Quote

No thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funk Dat!

Guess I'm not a real man, eh.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Snake Tongs

These have worked great for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
We use the standard model for our pet WDB.
https://tongs.com/product-category/snake-tongs/

Snake Hook vs Snake Tong | Which One Should I Choose?

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of people speak ill of them, but I've been using the same pr of Pillstrom tongs for over 35 years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is that Ted Nugent?
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Ace hardware sells a beefy one,  used it a handful of times, works great, no plastic and a steel cable to run the action. Think it was $65
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been happy with this one, but only used it once.

60" All-Aluminum Alloy Snake Tong
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top