Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 8:43:53 PM EDT
We spent a couple of winters in the Vail Valley.  My wife worked contract ATC traffic at Eagle airport during the last couple of ski seasons and I fulfilled a dream of taking a job scanning lift tickets and working mountain safety at Beaver Creek one season and Vail the next.

We are thinking about heading back up in a few weeks spend this year just skiing and relaxing.

What's the general consensus for conditions this ski season?

Looking forward to another year in the valley.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the rest of the season but this year is getting off to a gangbuster start.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds promising, although last year started strong and petered out horribly as the season went on.

I worked with a local high school kid from Gypsum at BC two years ago who's mom was born and raised in Minturn, just east of Avon.

She told stories of having to shovel snow at her house as a kid in late May into early June.

He even said in his 17 years of living in Gypsum, the snow levels each year have steadily declined.

Sure is hard on the winter and summer economy in the valley. i.e.. skiing, rafting and float guided fishing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Winters here have been weird the last few years. So far this one is looking better. 35 miles SE of Denver and its snowed 5 or 6times already. 6 inches on the ground today but 60 deg. coming up thru Friday.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a place north of I-70 in the Silverthorne area that sits at about 8,600 feet ASL.  We've had 4-5 snowfalls so far in October and early November, one dropped around 6-8 inches.  Temps at night have been ranging in the single digits to below zero.  Breckenridge resort opened last week and has a base of around 30" and overall snowfall for the year of 80".  9 lifts are operating and 32 trails are open, about 22% of the mountain.  This is the earliest they've opened in 10 years.  Wolf Creek in southern CO opened a week earlier than Breck and also has a base of around 30" and a YTD snowfall of about 61" with about 90% of their runs open.  Vail and Beaver Creek are open but have less than 12% of their mountains open.  Steamboat has even less snow and is scheduled to open Nov 21.  Weather forecasters are speculating 2018's lack of sun spots will cause a colder winter, but that doesn't guarantee more snow.  Good luck with your endeavors!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the Sitrep Buzzard.

Keeping our fingers crossed that it continues.

Purchasing our Epic Local and hoping for many many powder days ahead.

We can't wait!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the Sitrep Buzzard.

Keeping our fingers crossed that it continues.

Purchasing our Epic Local and hoping for many many powder days ahead.

We can't wait!!!!
View Quote
Hit me up sometime. The wife and I also have the epic local passes.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Hit me up sometime. The wife and I also have the epic local passes.
View Quote
Will do @denverdan.

We should be arriving in Eagle the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving.

Once we get settled in, I'll shoot you an IM
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Will do @denverdan.

We should be arriving in Eagle the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving.

Once we get settled in, I'll shoot you an IM
View Quote
Sounds good man. I’m not as adventurous as I was twenty years ago pretty much a blue run bandit these days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Winters here have been weird the last few years. So far this one is looking better. 35 miles SE of Denver and its snowed 5 or 6times already. 6 inches on the ground today but 60 deg. coming up thru Friday.
View Quote
Elizabeth?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top