Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2020 9:04:28 PM EDT
I'm looking for a shooting range in Randolph county. On the DNR site it looks like Kumbrabow State Forest and Stonewall Jackson Lake (Lewis county) might be the closest. Both are are probably a 45 minute or longer drive though. I wonder if the range at the Issac Walton League by Beverly is still open? No idea how much a membership costs or if it's necessary to attend meetings. Do you know of another other ranges nearby?

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SRanges.shtm

It looks like the IWLA membership is $75 for first time members. Not sure if it's worth it no more than I will be shooting this gun. For now I just want to get it sighted in and make sure everything works since it's my first.

https://sites.google.com/site/mountaineerchapter/membership-information
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kumbrabow is it for public ranges in Randolph county.  IWL, is members only, I dont know anything about it though.

Used to go up on rich mtn to the quarry but have heard from several people someone else leased it, and you cant shoot up there, although I have not been over there since spring.

I live near Beverly btw
View Quote

I assume Kumbrabow is a public range since it's a state forest. I've been to the IWL range at least two times many moons ago but I went with members but don't know anyone now.

I was also up at the quarry this spring taking pictures. Casings were all over the ground. Good to know that someone has leased it though. It will save us from getting into trouble.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Stonewall isn't bad. 300y, though only flat out to about 200y.  They used to have some target frames made out of old well casing.  Of course, thanks to people not caring about the place, they had to be removed as they had been shot to hell.

A salesman over at McFly's had claimed a few customers had complained of small stuff (binos, rangefinder, etc) getting stolen there, but I've never seen or heard of it from anyone else.

If you're ok going a little further, White Horse is excellent. They have a free range that's 100y and it's well cared for, but they have specific hours. I think noon to 5pm in the fall/winter. Haven't been a member there in a few years. $60/yr gets you access to the 600y range, with 1000y days a few times per month, though that sounds like more than you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yes, kumbrabow is public.

The quarry has been the go to spot around here forever, I mean it takes me like 20min to get there from the house.  If it was leased, it really sucks, as I have no place to go unless I go clear to kumbrabow.  Although I haven't had time to shoot anything since last winter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
yes, kumbrabow is public.

The quarry has been the go to spot around here forever, I mean it takes me like 20min to get there from the house.  If it was leased, it really sucks, as I have no place to go unless I go clear to kumbrabow.  Although I haven't had time to shoot anything since last winter.

The quarry is also about a 20 min. drive for me. I've only be up at the top looking down and not in the quarry itself though.

Quoted:
Stonewall isn't bad. 300y, though only flat out to about 200y.  They used to have some target frames made out of old well casing.  Of course, thanks to people not caring about the place, they had to be removed as they had been shot to hell.

A salesman over at McFly's had claimed a few customers had complained of small stuff (binos, rangefinder, etc) getting stolen there, but I've never seen or heard of it from anyone else.

If you're ok going a little further, White Horse is excellent. They have a free range that's 100y and it's well cared for, but they have specific hours. I think noon to 5pm in the fall/winter. Haven't been a member there in a few years. $60/yr gets you access to the 600y range, with 1000y days a few times per month, though that sounds like more than you're looking for.

Thanks for the info on Stonewall. I really hope where ever I end up has target frames since that's something I don't own or even have the room for.

Didn't know about White Horse. It looks like a really nice place and about a 45 min. drive which about the same for Stonewall and Kumbrabow.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a shooting range in Randolph county. On the DNR site it looks like Kumbrabow State Forest and Stonewall Jackson Lake (Lewis county) might be the closest. Both are are probably a 45 minute or longer drive though. I wonder if the range at the Issac Walton League by Beverly is still open? No idea how much a membership costs or if it's necessary to attend meetings. Do you know of another other ranges nearby?

http://www.wvdnr.gov/Hunting/SRanges.shtm

It looks like the IWLA membership is $75 for first time members. Not sure if it's worth it no more than I will be shooting this gun. For now I just want to get it sighted in and make sure everything works since it's my first.

https://sites.google.com/site/mountaineerchapter/membership-information
View Quote

@BluesShark

I am in Chenoweth Creek and as others have mentioned, there are not many options in this area. My recommendation would be White Horse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top