Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 5:33:10 PM EDT

I am planning to retire near my dad around the Reliance & Tellico Plains area in a few years. I
plan to buy land that would lay so that I can shoot into a natural elevated ridge as a backstop
from my back porch.

While reading around for TN codes regarding this, I noticed that there was some law (or used to
be a law) that required 70 acres in certain situations. Is that still true today?

What about noise ordinances? Is there anyone that has personal experience with this?

Kind thanks in advance ! :)
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit me up sometime, as I live around the corner from Reliance.

There is no "70 acre requirement" nor am I aware of their ever being one. Virtually all firearm shooting regs are county/city generated due to the differences in urban versus rural spacing.

Should be no problem at all finding property on Hwy 315 large enough to shoot on, IMO. Lots of hills there too for that matter.

Just use common sense, don't start shooting on a Sun morning @ 6am, that sort of thing.

I'll be there shooting this weekend if you want to join me.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hit me up sometime, as I live around the corner from Reliance.

There is no "70 acre requirement" nor am I aware of their ever being one. Virtually all firearm shooting regs are county/city generated due to the differences in urban versus rural spacing.

Should be no problem at all finding property on Hwy 315 large enough to shoot on, IMO. Lots of hills there too for that matter.

Just use common sense, don't start shooting on a Sun morning @ 6am, that sort of thing.

I'll be there shooting this weekend if you want to join me.  
View Quote

Thanks for the reply !!  My dad lives out towards Towee; He has pretty much the ideal
setup where he is at. I would join you for sure, but I am way out here in Southeast VA
for a while :( That's a pretty road going towards Tellico Plains from Towee. If I ever get
back to visit this year, I will look you up :)
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I put quite a lot of effort into finding relevant codes, statutes, etc., before buying my house, because I specifically intended it to have a reasonably-sized range. The only thing I found was a few references to distance from a road or occupied dwelling for commercial ranges, and those were city codes. While IANAL, I found nothing in TN law precluding or restricting you having your own private range, especially living in the country.
In rural areas, it's quite uncommon to have a weekend go by without hearing gunfire.
As long as you're not being a dumbass or asshoe, nobody will care.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top