Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2018 2:17:00 PM EDT
One of my kids is looking for a place to practice some pistol shooting. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In door or outdoor and shooting from holster or no?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Either indoor or outdoor. Basic pistol skills at first. Eventually, drawing from concealment (but she could work on that quite a bit at home).
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#3]
For now I still prefer USSA, although it isn't quite the same since the current owners took over. Outdoor with some silly owner imposed rules.

2A has nice in door range and does ladies night where range fee is free for women (Tuesday nights I think)

Tulsa firearms - in door range, never shot there they seem to be ridiculously picky on their range rules

Red castle members only outdoor but has in door range, I do not know if they can shoot anything over 22lr at the indoor range yet.

Otherwise it's oil sometime club out by Coweta, a new range is trying to be built at DiscoveryLand but is pending county permits.

If she wants to learn how to shoot properly, 2a has some good instructors (Eric fusion). Or TDSA and crew put on a good class and have some ladies only classes as well. And these are all local
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, my first witty response was that she just randomly drive around the north side.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For now I still prefer USSA, although it isn't quite the same since the current owners took over. Outdoor with some silly owner imposed rules.

2A has nice in door range and does ladies night where range fee is free for women (Tuesday nights I think)

Tulsa firearms - in door range, never shot there they seem to be ridiculously picky on their range rules

Red castle members only outdoor but has in door range, I do not know if they can shoot anything over 22lr at the indoor range yet.

Otherwise it's oil sometime club out by Coweta, a new range is trying to be built at DiscoveryLand but is pending county permits.

If she wants to learn how to shoot properly, 2a has some good instructors (Eric fusion). Or TDSA and crew put on a good class and have some ladies only classes as well. And these are all local
View Quote
When did the new USSA owners take over? Who are they now??
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The current owners have owned it for about 4 yrs I think.  Owners name is David and I forget his wifes name.  Nice people, but they have recently starting posting up new rules.  One that is laughable, is that they will confiscate your weapon if you break the rule (can't remember what the rule is).  I'm pretty sure it's not even legal for them to confiscate your weapon.  I really am hoping they get that range built at Discoveryland and it's supposed to be members only (non-members can shoot at USSA and just pay a daily fee, so it can get very crowded).
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
OCRGC, Oil Capitol Rod and Gun Club is a private 800 member club east of Broken Arrow.
Other than that I suggest Red Castle and secondly USSA.

There is/was a DANGEROUS FREE Public range just east of Wagoner but BE VERY CAREFUL if you go there.
Never leave your stuff on the table and always carry loaded and wach your back.

Edit; I Would be happy to host you and your daughter at OCRGC IF WE can get schedules to to line up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The current owners have owned it for about 4 yrs I think.  Owners name is David and I forget his wifes name.  Nice people, but they have recently starting posting up new rules.  One that is laughable, is that they will confiscate your weapon if you break the rule (can't remember what the rule is).  I'm pretty sure it's not even legal for them to confiscate your weapon.  I really am hoping they get that range built at Discoveryland and it's supposed to be members only (non-members can shoot at USSA and just pay a daily fee, so it can get very crowded).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rule is for people shooting rifles on in the pistol bays. People were blasting pistol steel from 20 yards away with ARs. Threatening to confiscate is dumb, just ban them. I shoot there and like it. Get my own 50 yard bay to do whatever I want. Only $190 per year to be a member.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OCRGC, Oil Capitol Rod and Gun Club is a private 800 member club east of Broken Arrow.
Other than that I suggest Red Castle and secondly USSA.

There is/was a DANGEROUS FREE Public range just east of Wagoner but BE VERY CAREFUL if you go there.
Never leave your stuff on the table and always carry loaded and wach your back.

Edit; I Would be happy to host you and your daughter at OCRGC IF WE can get schedules to to line up.
View Quote
Is oil capitol taking new members? I can go out to a friends place any weekend but it’s almost a 2 hour round trip for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is oil capitol taking new members? I can go out to a friends place any weekend but it’s almost a 2 hour round trip for me.
View Quote
I don’t think so. Just a few every year open up with a long waiting list
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Everything in this post is accurate. 2A is great for an indoor range, I go there quite a bit to shoot when it's more convenient or weather related reasons.

TDSA is top notch for any training needed.

I've heard about a few of the new weird rules at USSA, but haven't had any issues with the new owners. Not that I would ever do so, but being threatened with having my weapon confiscated for shooting range steel is laughable.

I have not been to Tulsa Firearms since 2005. They decided to treat me like they did not want my business and I have been happy to oblige.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
New rule at USSA, no shotguns...at all.
Their reasoning, It tears up the target backers too fast.  They use this plastic type cardboard, they claim it costs them $5 per target backer.  Not sure why they don't just use regular cardboard.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The Corp range East of Wagoner is good to go during the week, as most of the time there is no one out there. Has two steel shooting tables. You have to park in a small area North of the range and walk in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top