Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 1:16:40 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed to death.  I did a search but still have questions.

I'm trying to help a widow get a few firearms in her possession to the owners son who lives in CA.  I haven't seen them all but believe the firearms in question are all handguns -- several or most in the 1911 category.  I doubt there are any threaded barrels.  

I told her I thought there was a way to get firearms into CA if she ships to a FFL -- just like most states.  But, I really don't know.  

If it matters, the son has MS and is partially disabled.  I don't think it does but wanted to mention.  

I appreciate any help.  I am just trying to help as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the estate still have them, or are they legally hers?  Is she his mother (doesn't sound like it) or adoptive mother?  I believe for either case there can be roster exemptions, which would be needed for any handguns not on the roster to be sent to his FFL in CA.  Guns on the roster are no problem.  Obviously can't be assault weapons, and the only common feature on ordinary handguns that is an AW is threaded barrels.

If the gun can legally be transferred to the man in question, there's no issue shipping them to the FFL.  There can be issues with shipping a firearm to an FFL when it can't be transferred to the intended recipient, though, with respect to getting them back, IIRC.  For a non-FFL to send them to a CA FFL is no issue.  I forget if an FFL requires registration with CA DOJ to send them to a CA FFL or not.  Other than possibly the latter requirement, the process is basically the same as sending them to FFLs in most other States.

Being physically disabled should not be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the estate still have them, or are they legally hers?  Is she his mother (doesn't sound like it) or adoptive mother?  I believe for either case there can be roster exemptions, which would be needed for any handguns not on the roster to be sent to his FFL in CA.  Guns on the roster are no problem.  Obviously can't be assault weapons, and the only common feature on ordinary handguns that is an AW is threaded barrels.

If the gun can legally be transferred to the man in question, there's no issue shipping them to the FFL.  There can be issues with shipping a firearm to an FFL when it can't be transferred to the intended recipient, though, with respect to getting them back, IIRC.  For a non-FFL to send them to a CA FFL is no issue.  I forget if an FFL requires registration with CA DOJ to send them to a CA FFL or not.  Other than possibly the latter requirement, the process is basically the same as sending them to FFLs in most other States.

Being physically disabled should not be an issue.
View Quote

Thank you.  I believe the firearms are in the estate and she has no direct legal tie to the recipient except as executor. Not sure if there is a formal trust.  I really don't know her that well but told her I would check.

BTW,  love your sig line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thank you.  I believe the firearms are in the estate and she has no direct legal tie to the recipient except as executor. Not sure if there is a formal trust.  I really don't know her that well but told her I would check.

BTW,  love your sig line.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the roster won't be an issue, then.  I would think it'd qualify for an intrafamilial exemption, at least.  It's something I'd have to look up.  Other than roster and AW issues, it's generally pretty simple to do a transfer like this.

The most knowledgeable people on these issues are on Calguns, for better or worse, and the best place to ask there would be the "How CA Laws Apply To Me" forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top