Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are so incompetent that you draw your pistol instead of your Taser and kill a man you deserve criminal punishment.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Like everyone who is talking about this everywhere...I'll Monday quarterback this too.

I've worked in the firearms industry for 20 years.  In my time, I've sold thousands of Taser products to LEO/Mil/Gov/Security.  I've sat in on several LEO Taser training courses.  Like all LEO training, they are woefully under trained in nearly all aspects of weapon craft.  Basically, most courses consist of the basic function of the Taser and how to deploy it.  Everyone in the course gets to deploy a Taser on a paper target, some departments will do a "live" demonstration on a volunteer, although that doesn't happen too much any longer (I assume someone got injured being the "dummy" and then city lawyers got involved and no more "live" demonstrations).  I've been the volunteer dummy a few times...being Tasered does suck, but I'd much rather be shocked then pepper sprayed....electricity turns off immediately...pepper spray does not turn off for a while.  

I would be moderately surprised if that officer involved in the case had received more than 10 hours of Taser related training in her career.  I'm also certain that she didn't train on her own time to practice deployment of her Taser in high tension situations...i.e. adrenaline dumps.  A person is only as good as their worst training instinct.  If you don't develop the muscle memory over and over again, hours per month, you are going to revert to you basic instinct...in this case, that is to draw your firearm.  

I've watched the video a few times, and the thing that sticks out to me the most is that she actually yelled "Taser, Taser, Taser", just as she was trained.  That leaves no doubt in my mind that she actually thought she was deploying her Taser, not her firearm.  Unfortunately, her base training instinct during an adrenaline dump was to grab her firearm, not her Taser.  

If I were on that jury, she would not have been convicted of anything.  She didn't fail, her department training policy did.  Accidents happen, and in this instance a life was lost.  However...if you don't want to run the risk of getting shot by a police officer, don't try to run or dig around in your car when multiple cops are yelling commands at you.  

If this had happened to a white guy, this wouldn't even go to trial.  Unfortunately, she is a victim of the "woke" culture where anything a white person does to a black person is automatically racist, and the white person must have woken up that morning and said "Boy, I hope I get to shoot a black guy today...that would be just swell!"

Incompetence is not illegal...in most cases....if it were, most of Congress would be in jail.  I could see the department being charged with contributory negligence for lack of training standards, and I'm sure that there will be a few wrongful death lawsuits in civil court, but I think 1st degree and 2nd degree manslaughter are a high bar to clear in this case.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I fully understand that she should have grabbed the tazer and not the gun as per her dept policy . The problem is we all react differently under stressful situations.  She was not properly trained ,and under a lot of stress . She should have been better vetted and trained. She should not go to prison for this , fire her and properly train qualified officers so this doesn't happen again. IMHO she is being thrown under the buss because they don't want expensive riots ,looting and arson from the radical left. It is just better politically and monetarily for the city to throw her to the wolves . In the end it all comes down to protected the people at the very top and $$$$$$$$$$$$ ,as it always does .
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are so incompetent that you draw your pistol instead of your Taser and kill a man you deserve criminal punishment.
View Quote
Agree.  Any of us make a negligent mistake and kill someone we get charged.  Cops are no different and shouldn't be.  If they convicted her of murder I would disagree.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
This is why when I used to work in Armed Security... I utilized a cross-draw style setup for my Taser.

It would be a much more awkward draw for me, but thats kind of the point. I'd be curious about how her duty belt was setup.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is why when I used to work in Armed Security... I utilized a cross-draw style setup for my Taser.

It would be a much more awkward draw for me, but thats kind of the point. I'd be curious about how her duty belt was setup.
View Quote

From what I read she had her TASER cross draw. Cross draw TASER has been a standard since the BART shooting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I fully understand that she should have grabbed the tazer and not the gun as per her dept policy . The problem is we all react differently under stressful situations.  She was not properly trained ,and under a lot of stress . She should have been better vetted and trained. She should not go to prison for this , fire her and properly train qualified officers so this doesn't happen again. IMHO she is being thrown under the buss because they don't want expensive riots ,looting and arson from the radical left. It is just better politically and monetarily for the city to throw her to the wolves . In the end it all comes down to protected the people at the very top and $$$$$$$$$$$$ ,as it always does .
View Quote

She had over 25 years of LE experience and was a field training officer!
What more training did she need?!?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

She had over 25 years of LE experience and was a field training officer!
What more training did she need?!?
View Quote

I had no idea she was a field training officer. I just don't understand how or why she reacted that way at that time ,when she had a 25 year  Steller record up to that point . Why would she not respond as she had for many years  in the past? IMHO she fucked up no doubt  ,but what caused it ? Don't you think she just wanted to finish her shift and go home to her family safe that day ? Something made her panic and shoot rather than taze . In any event her going to prison will only serve a political agenda. This was an accident that shouldn't have happened . Incrassating her serves no practical purpose . It is obvious she can no longer deal and handle  with the stress of the job . In the present atmosphere around law enforcement in this country ,no doubt she was in fear for her life . No one wins in this situation ,not the public ,not the officer, not the department and not the guy she shot or his family and friends . Do officers have to undergo a psychological evaluation checkup on a regular basis ? Look at the Ashli Babbitt shooting footage and then tell me about justice and punishment being fair, logical or not politically motivated  in America these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I have always maintained that making the Taser handle as close to your pistol is a recipe for disaster.
It should be different enough to be obvious it is not a firearm with a button instead of trigger.
Although the real solution would be to not issue them, if an officer is in fear of their life or great bodily harm go lethal.
How often have we seen an officer try to taser a subject and it fails so they resort to the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:10:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm of two minds on this and they're both summarized nicely by the first two posts.

Every other job in the world has things that you can do on the job that could set you back legally and civilly. Being a cop is an important job that needs to be done well by the best possible candidates. The stakes are high, but for a long time if you were the cop and you screwed up the stakes you owed were either forgiven or paid for by the house, and I think that may have contributed to a culture of recklessness because hey, my name ain't on the side of this patrol car...

But then again...her heart (if not her hand) was absolutely in the right place and let's be honest, Dante Wright was a real piece of shit. You could see that she felt horrible about it immediately and what I really was impressed by was that she copped to it immediately and not a single action was taken to cover up or minimize the situation, but all that aside her "mistake" probably saved the taxpayers MILLIONS of dollars that would've been spent on dead guy's future felonies what with the cost of paying the cops to investigate, the courts to prosecute and also pay to defend him in the future, and that's to say nothing of the 10 illegitimate children that dead kid won't be having. On top of all that, she also saved probably dozens of people from having to be dead kid's eventual victims during his violent crime sprees.

I absolutely see no downside to this asshole's death and wish that cop didn't have to go to prison, but on the other hand I don't know if I want her pulling me or someone I care about over and having an oopsie involving an actual human being.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top