Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2023 11:15:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of this and have bought and sold many.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Like from a dealer/pawn shop or rando?

Never heard of this
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I sold some guitar equipment lately and had to thumb-print both times.

Different stores too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Never heard that before.  Maybe it's just a pawn shop thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I sold some guitar equipment lately and had to thumb-print both times.

Different stores too.
View Quote

I know various municipalities have encouraged pawn shops to require fingerprints for more commonly stolen items, but I wasn't aware there was a law requiring it.  They often require a photo ID for items, as well, so the fingerprint (thumbprint) is extra.  KRS chapter 226 is pretty simple, and is silent on that.  Clearly firearms would require ID, and local law may require ID for things the state doesn't mention.  I think some pawn shops enter their intake into a system that is shared with law enforcement, as a supplement/replacement for their records and reports.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know various municipalities have encouraged pawn shops to require fingerprints for more commonly stolen items, but I wasn't aware there was a law requiring it.  They often require a photo ID for items, as well, so the fingerprint (thumbprint) is extra.  KRS chapter 226 is pretty simple, and is silent on that.  Clearly firearms would require ID, and local law may require ID for things the state doesn't mention.  I think some pawn shops enter their intake into a system that is shared with law enforcement, as a supplement/replacement for their records and reports.
View Quote
 They do.

I remember being on a ride-along with a Lexington officer and he ran my name on his Panasonic toughbook.  It pulled up a few items I'd sold to a shop a few weeks before.

This was probably 15 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top