BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2024 10:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck]
I hope this is going nowhere

1 outfitters can go to hell

2 baiting is already illegal I don't get this one are we making it illegaler?

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
After a quick look at the bills, the only concerning thing I saw was in HF255, you have to already been a registered guide business back in 2022 and maintained it continuously since.  So basically no new businesses could be started and use and benefit from this program if i am reading it right.  I dont think that kind of exclusion of others is a good thing in any bill.  I dont have a problem with them saying they need to be in business for two continuous years prior to being eligible to use this option, but full out exclusion is a no go.  As for the out of state licenses, if it can draw money into the state so be it.  People will pay big bucks to hunt Iowa deer.  Pheasants use to bring a lot of out of staters until the farming practices changed with cover disappearing and a few bad years in a row of weather and poor hatches.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NorthFork:
After a quick look at the bills, the only concerning thing I saw was in HF255, you have to already been a registered guide business back in 2022 and maintained it continuously since.  So basically no new businesses could be started and use and benefit from this program if i am reading it right.  I dont think that kind of exclusion of others is a good thing in any bill.  I dont have a problem with them saying they need to be in business for two continuous years prior to being eligible to use this option, but full out exclusion is a no go.  As for the out of state licenses, if it can draw money into the state so be it.  People will pay big bucks to hunt Iowa deer.  Pheasants use to bring a lot of out of staters until the farming practices changed with cover disappearing and a few bad years in a row of weather and poor hatches.
View Quote

Allowing outfters to buy tag would be very bad for deer hunting in Iowa

They are still selling the same number of tags just they ones going to outfitters will most likely be high bid allowing the rich and famous to skip ahead in line without having to build points
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:

Allowing outfters to buy tag would be very bad for deer hunting in Iowa

They are still selling the same number of tags just they ones going to outfitters will most likely be high bid allowing the rich and famous to skip ahead in line without having to build points
View Quote

They actually do that now with "Governors Tags", some paying upwards of $30k for one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:36:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#4]
Originally Posted By F224:

They actually do that now with "Governors Tags", some paying upwards of $30k for one.
View Quote

I never heard iowa gave out a governor tag if they sell 1 for charity great its not 500 tags and having a friend from out of states that's been putting in for points that's just screwing them
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Personal opinion...

Guiding and outfitting should be illegal.  

Sharing tags should be illegal (as is done during the gun season).
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Lapidary:
Personal opinion...

View Quote

You mean party hunting?

Yeah that's the bread and butter of Iowa deer hunting and helps fills freezers.

I dont agree with all the big shot TV deer hunter planting 5 acres of corn and bat wing mowing half of it how is that not baiting?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]

You mean party hunting?

Yeah that's the bread and butter of Iowa deer hunting and helps fills freezers.

I dont agree with all the big shot TV deer hunter planting 5 acres of corn and bat wing mowing half of it how is that not baiting?
View Quote

How many non-residents leave the state with an outfitter's (or outfitter's wife, friend, son) tag on their buck?  Archery hunters are expected to have a tag for the deer they kill, as are muzzleloader hunters.  Why can't gun hunters follow the same rules, even when party hunting?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#8]

How many non-residents leave the state with an outfitter's (or outfitter's wife, friend, son) tag on their buck?  Archery hunters are expected to have a tag for the deer they kill, as are muzzleloader hunters.  Why can't gun hunters follow the same rules, even when party hunting?
View Quote

Idk i doubt many and gun hunters are following the rules for party hunting. Some people would never get a tag filled if others in the group didn't fill it for them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]

I never heard iowa gave out a governor tag if they sell 1 for charity great its not 500 tags and having a friend from out of states that's been putting in for points that's just screwing them
View Quote

Iowa issues approximately 75 Governor’s type deer tags each year.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

If true that's disgusting
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"The program was developed in the 1990s as a means to promote Iowa deer hunting, and most of the 75 available “governor's tags” are issued, at standard costs, to outdoor media personalities who agree to promote Iowa deer hunting through articles, videos and television programs".

And they'll do it until IA deer hunting goes to shit, no matter what guise they hide it behind.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#12]

"The program was developed in the 1990s as a means to promote Iowa deer hunting, and most of the 75 available “governor's tags” are issued, at standard costs, to outdoor media personalities who agree to promote Iowa deer hunting through articles, videos and television programs".

And they'll do it until IA deer hunting goes to shit, no matter what guise they hide it behind.
View All Quotes

Actually the Governors tags are given to conservation & 2A groups, who split the tag's actual selling price with the DNR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
If they're changing deer regs why not do something to help newcomers?

You know the "apprentice" license people can buy twice if they've never hunted? Why not open up youth season to those hunters?

An apprentice hunter has all the disadvantages a kid has, let's give them the same help we give kids and get them hooked. They already have to be accompanied by a licensed hunter, apply the same rules as we use for younger newcomers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I party hunt during the gun season and we tag deer for others in the group.  2 of the people in my group come for the outdoor experience and friendship.  They have their license, tag and wear their orange.  They do most of the pushes and help drag.  However they do not carry guns as they dont like the killing aspect, but share equally in the "after the hunt" work and we will use their tags on deer.

I see no issue with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By FS2000GUY:
I party hunt during the gun season and we tag deer for others in the group.  2 of the people in my group come for the outdoor experience and friendship.  They have their license, tag and wear their orange.  They do most of the pushes and help drag.  However they do not carry guns as they dont like the killing aspect, but share equally in the "after the hunt" work and we will use their tags on deer.

I see no issue with it.
View Quote

Absolutely I used to party hunt in a big group it was a blast
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FS2000GUY:

I see no issue with it.

Done right it's a great time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By shack357:

View Quote

And when your the one that can shoot you get to fill a lot of tags
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Every tag filled is another one I don't have to worry about hitting with the car.

I'd love to put a 5-7 person group together. Turn deer season into a party.

But between being picky on safety and hating greedy shitheads, my group is only up to 3-one is my daughter. So we settle for a nice day in the woods and if we get one we share the tenderloins.😁
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]
So is SF2013 Deer Hunting over Bait ….for that or against that?
I’m not convinced that buying corn and putting it in a feeder VS planting food plots is all that different. If allowed it enlarges the market to sell corn. More demand… higher prices seems like a positive thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:22:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#20]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
So is SF2013 Deer Hunting over Bait ….for that or against that?
I’m not convinced that buying corn and putting it in a feeder VS planting food plots is all that different. If allowed it enlarges the market to sell corn. More demand… higher prices seems like a positive thing.
View Quote

I read it its against but it's already illegal so I'm not getting that one. Definitely mowing corn with a batwing is no different then baiting and the amount of bushels sold to bait would be insignificant to the market

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/publications/search/document?fq=id:1442338&q=SF2013
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#21]
If they're changing deer regs why not do something to help newcomers?

You know the "apprentice" license people can buy twice if they've never hunted? Why not open up youth season to those hunters?

An apprentice hunter has all the disadvantages a kid has, let's give them the same help we give kids and get them hooked. They already have to be accompanied by a licensed hunter, apply the same rules as we use for younger newcomers.
View Quote

I think that's a decent idea. Many people take for granted the threshold to get into hunting.

I'm definitely against the outfitter tags. The commercialization of hunting in this state infuriates me. It is very difficult for local people to hunt if they don't have established lands.

Until the 2022 season, I took a decade off from hunting. I used to have several options of places to hunt, and many more if I asked. That certainly has changed. My teenage son wanted to go hunting for the first time and I almost had to tell him that we couldn't. Thankfully we got access to a small plot of land for now. The amount of land that has been bought up or leased by out of staters is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dawg69:

I think that's a decent idea. Many people take for granted the threshold to get into hunting.

I'm definitely against the outfitter tags. The commercialization of hunting in this state infuriates me. It is very difficult for local people to hunt if they don't have established lands.

Until the 2022 season, I took a decade off from hunting. I used to have several options of places to hunt, and many more if I asked. That certainly has changed. My teenage son wanted to go hunting for the first time and I almost had to tell him that we couldn't. Thankfully we got access to a small plot of land for now. The amount of land that has been bought up or leased by out of staters is unbelievable.
View Quote

I know people that gave up hunting all their permission land was leased or bought up by the big shot TV deer hunters.  I have land to hunt but not like I used to probably had 4000 acres at one point lot of it sold or "well my son in law wants to hunt it now"  type stuff
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#23]

I know people that gave up hunting all their permission land was leased or bought up by the big shot TV deer hunters.  I have land to hunt but not like I used to probably had 4000 acres at one point lot of it sold or "well my son in law wants to hunt it now"  type stuff
View Quote

Sadly, the commercialization of hunting has priced a bunch of people out of the sport.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Sadly, the commercialization of hunting has priced a bunch of people out of the sport.
View Quote

I recently lost my private ground (105 acres) access due to a sale by the owner. (Second time in 10 years now, different farms.)

I knocked on 30+ doors last year inquiring about deer/coyote hunting, 7/10 replied "it's leased".

One landowner wanted $2500 for early muzzleloader season access.

I'm back to DNR ground for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]

I recently lost my private ground (105 acres) access due to a sale by the owner. (Second time in 10 years now, different farms.)

I knocked on 30+ doors last year inquiring about deer/coyote hunting, 7/10 replied "it's leased".

View Quote

2500 lol holy crap
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#26]

2500 lol holy crap
View All Quotes

2500 lol holy crap

My words were a bit more colorful.

A group from IL leases his neighbor's ground every year I guess.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

It sucks for guys like me that just want to take their kid out for the experience and get a doe or two to put in the freezer if we're lucky.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#28]
We’ve been fighting that in Warren County for several years.    The generation of farmers we hunted with are all retired, most have sold their ground and with it the hunting.  We have three core parcels left.   Warren gets a lot of pressure from the metro, my take is mostly bow hunters.  We don’t hunt public ground and if it comes to that I’m done.  

I don’t have an answer.   Very little public ground in Iowa.  I like to deer hunt but not enough to shell out several hundred dollars or more.  The parcels we have left should be good for the foreseeable future but we don’t have exclusive access.  Other relatives hunt it as well.

As bad as it is, at least it’s not Texas.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
We’ve been fighting that in Warren County for several years.    The generation of farmers we hunted with are all retired, most have sold their ground and with it the hunting.  We have three core parcels left.   Warren gets a lot of pressure from the metro, my take is mostly bow hunters.  We don’t hunt public ground and if it comes to that I’m done.  

I don’t have an answer.   Very little public ground in Iowa.  I like to deer hunt but not enough to shell out several hundred dollars or more.  The parcels we have left should be good for the foreseeable future but we don’t have exclusive access.  Other relatives hunt it as well.

As bad as it is, at least it’s not Texas.
View Quote

"$1.65 million in exchange for your farm ground that you barely recoup seed/labor costs for is hard to turn down" was how my friend put it to me.

I don't blame the guy. Early retirement from his day job, new house, kids HS graduation costs, etc.

I've killed a lot of deer/turkey/coyotes there, I'll miss it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]

It sucks for guys like me that just want to take their kid out for the experience and get a doe or two to put in the freezer if we're lucky.
View All Quotes

If you're not a shithead and you're near Howard County come with me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Friend of mine lost ground that he hunted on for years to a lease.  Found out it was a lot cheaper to go out of state to a place with a bunch of public land than pay the piper in Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Friend of mine lost ground that he hunted on for years to a lease.  Found out it was a lot cheaper to go out of state to a place with a bunch of public land than pay the piper in Iowa.
View Quote

Good news is we have monster deer...the bad news is we have monster deer, most of them on private land. With less than 2% of the land in Iowa that is publicly owned, and no real prospect of that changing anytime soon, hunting ground will be harder to secure permission going forward.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: netofficer3710] [#33]
Personal opinion...

View Quote

If someone does a deer drive on public land that already has hunters on it it should be considered hunter harassment

I hate 90% of iowa hunters with a passion

If I pull up to a spot and people are already hunting it, I go out of my way NOT to disturb their hunt!
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By netofficer3710:

If someone does a deer drive on public land that already has hunters on it it should be considered hunter harassment

I hate 90% of iowa hunters with a passion

If I pull up to a spot and people are already hunting it, I go out of my way NOT to disturb their hunt!
View Quote

I can see how that would pisses people off but just as likely to run deer to you as away from you I killed my biggest deer one of the top deer killed in the state that year because other people chased it right to me
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#35]

I can see how that would pisses people off but just as likely to run deer to you as away from you I killed my biggest deer one of the top deer killed in the state that year because other people chased it right to me
View Quote

3 times this year, me and my buddies were out in our saddles in trees hunting when a group came in and lined up directly underneath us (looking right at us) and proceded to push the deer away from us to the other side of the property
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#36]

3 times this year, me and my buddies were out in our saddles in trees hunting when a group came in and lined up directly underneath us (looking right at us) and proceded to push the deer away from us to the other side of the property
View All Quotes

I shot a deer one year that 3 people had JUST gotten done walking past, within 10 feet of him. I just happened to look into the right bush. Sometimes, if you don't step on them they don't move.

That particular one, 7 of us were looking for a buck that another hunter had wounded. Never did find that one. But I came to a bush, saw a deer hiding in it, realized it wasn't his deer and when everyone was clear I shot it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I'm not a shithead, but I'm as close to Missouri as you are to Minnesota. Thanks for the offer though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I've pretty much given up on hunting because I'm tired of public land and getting access to private land is next to impossible unless you have deep pockets.

The few landowners I've met that do give permission to hunt without asking for money give it to everybody else so it's pretty much like public ground.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By gunner76:

I've pretty much given up on hunting because I'm tired of public land and getting access to private land is next to impossible unless you have deep pockets.

The few landowners I've met that do give permission to hunt without asking for money give it to everybody else so it's pretty much like public ground.
View Quote

Yeah I hunt a place like that but I don't blame the owners they want deer dead they do a ot of damage but I'd guess most of the people are just buck hunting
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm not a shithead, but I'm as close to Missouri as you are to Minnesota. Thanks for the offer though.
View All Quotes

Offer stands if you're ever up here during bow or first gun season. Small woods but we always get deer.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top