Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2020 1:40:16 PM EDT
Hell no!  how can anyone be able to work if the kids only goto school 2 days a week?  I realize some families have ca n have someone stay home, (and ideally that IS best) but when will this end?  

How come no reporters are asking this!  All we get us we need more testing. What the hell will that do?  It's not like aids or t b. You can test til you're blue in the face, be negative then happen to go get groceries and bamn, positive.  This will do nothing .  antibody testing is much better but not getting talked about.  

I cannot see how government officials think we can wait this out. There are only 2 options. Vaccine, or immunity. Even with a vaccine we cannot stay home indefinitely til it's ready. These numbskulls are still paying to build the convention center hospital here in CMH.  Wwhich was prudent when this started is a farce now.

Holy hell!
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard anything about 2 day school weeks. Where is this coming from? Governor?
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hell no!  how can anyone be able to work if the kids only goto school 2 days a week?  I realize some families have ca n have someone stay home, (and ideally that IS best) but when will this end?  

How come no reporters are asking this!  All we get us we need more testing. What the hell will that do?  It's not like aids or t b. You can test til you're blue in the face, be negative then happen to go get groceries and bamn, positive.  This will do nothing .  antibody testing is much better but not getting talked about.  

I cannot see how government officials think we can wait this out. There are only 2 options. Vaccine, or immunity. Even with a vaccine we cannot stay home indefinitely til it's ready. These numbskulls are still paying to build the convention center hospital here in CMH.  Wwhich was prudent when this started is a farce now.

Holy hell!
View Quote

Its airborne aids, and we still have no cure for it. Its year 0 C.D.!!! LOL (covid disease)
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Governor suggested 1/2 kids go 2 days, other 1/2 go the other 2 days.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to say it, but if this occurs, I will probably have to pull my kid from the public school system and enroll him in an online only academy. The part time school part time home won't work. He is one of those that needs a set schedule throughout the week, and does not do well with changes from day to day.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahyup. Send our kids currently to parochial school. Same deal. Wouldn't do that to the 8th grader, but the other one.... Well as I told the principal already, if I'm doing the work, why send him?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Yes. Governor suggested 1/2 kids go 2 days, other 1/2 go the other 2 days.
View Quote

I thought it was 2 on 2 off.

Either way I haven't heard it brought up again.

This would go over like a Lead Zeppelin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
both right.  It is 2 on 2 off.  with a day to clean inbetween,   but only half the kids for the first 2 days, other half last 2 days
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
there are going to be a lot of kids who get left so far behind.  It's going to be sad.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I pay $7k a year for property taxes, and I have the smallest house in the neighborhood. $5,500/yr goes to the school district; I’d like a reduction in taxes if this is the case.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ender875:
Ahyup. Send our kids currently to parochial school. Same deal. Wouldn't do that to the 8th grader, but the other one.... Well as I told the principal already, if I'm doing the work, why send him?
View Quote

Same here. Paying $500/month.  I will pull her out if she is at home and I am helping with the minimal homework she has.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By shrimpmoney:
I pay $7k a year for property taxes, and I have the smallest house in the neighborhood. $5,500/yr goes to the school district; I’d like a reduction in taxes if this is the case.
View Quote

I own 13 acres.

I'll sue on day one if that happens. It would be a class action by lunch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline:

I own 13 acres.

I'll sue on day one if that happens. It would be a class action by lunch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I pay $7k a year for property taxes, and I have the smallest house in the neighborhood. $5,500/yr goes to the school district; I’d like a reduction in taxes if this is the case.

I own 13 acres.

I'll sue on day one if that happens. It would be a class action by lunch.

Seriously...where's the sheet so I can sign my name?!?

If anything they'll probably come begging to get more money for their new 'Cleaning Costs'! And I sure they'll need some more $$$ Administration to oversee the cleaning people...
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What would the legal basis of a lawsuit be?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NightFox:
What would the legal basis of a lawsuit be?
View Quote

I'm paying taxes for a 5 day week. Not two days.

Give me a refund on the unused portion. I don't give a damn about your unfunded pensions.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm paying taxes for a 5 day week. Not two days.

Give me a refund on the unused portion. I don't give a damn about your unfunded pensions.
View All Quotes

Give me a refund on the unused portion. I don't give a damn about your unfunded pensions.

You pay to fund a district. If you disagree with how the district operates, replace the school board. So I'll ask again, what is the legal basis of a lawsuit?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Found the teachers Union rep!

Always so quick with the same worn out talking points.

Thanks for playing though.  You get a free face mask as a parting gift.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Found the teachers Union rep!

Always so quick with the same worn out talking points.

Thanks for playing though.  You get a free face mask as a parting gift.
View Quote

Surely you're not talking about my response? Do you mean you found their contact information on Facebook and tried to have a discussion?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]

You pay to fund a district. If you disagree with how the district operates, replace the school board. So I'll ask again, what is the legal basis of a lawsuit?
View All Quotes

You pay to fund a district. If you disagree with how the district operates, replace the school board. So I'll ask again, what is the legal basis of a lawsuit?

You could probably work off this case:

https://casetext.com/case/doe-v-ohio

Doe V Ohio: "This case is a class action lawsuit brought by a class certified as "all children, ages three through 21, currently enrolled or seeking enrollment, now or in the future, in Ohio's public school system, who have a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act [(IDEA)], 20 U.S.C. §§1400 et seq., the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. §§790 et seq., or the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. §§12010, et seq., and who require, as a result of their disability, special education and related services or accommodations that are designed to meet individual educational needs of students with disabilities as adequately as the needs of nondisabled children are met, and the parents or guardians of such children." (Docket No. 168.) The class definition goes on to define the types of disabilities at issue. (Id.)"

Assuming they go down to a 2 day school week, I would imagine it would not be hard for a good trial lawyer to argue the quality of education for both disabled and nondisabled children are not adequately met.

Edit:

No dog in this fight. 35, single, no kids.  So whatever, gov't takes an absurd amount of money from me one way or another.  But not sending kids back to school full time is still absolutely absurd to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I pay $7k a year for property taxes, and I have the smallest house in the neighborhood. $5,500/yr goes to the school district; I’d like a reduction in taxes if this is the case.
View Quote

BAM! What he said.

My city just passed an $82,000,000.00 bond levy for 30 years for public schools. Read that again. My  realty taxes went thru the roof. The locals kept screaming: "It's for the children!" All the young Moms with hubbies in transient positions (3-5 yrs) got it squeezed through. It really was for the teachers' pensions and building trade unions here--full employment & retirement act for decades.

Most teachers here are making near $100k/yr for 9 months of alleged "work," with an MA, plus the gold-plated bennies, retirement and the like.

I have been in this community for 46 years and have no children.

How's about cutting my taxes with a machete? People visiting me from out-of-town ask me why are there so many Malls here? I have to tell them--THEY are the brand new schools being built with $84M.

Two day school week? INSANE.

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a way to start a recall on members of a school board? If so, and assuming the school board is ultimately responsible for this decision, we should prepare to start the process. If not, then perhaps we need to start a statewide process to recall Governor DeSpined.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

You could probably work off this case:

Doe V Ohio: "This case is a class action lawsuit brought by a class certified as "all children, ages three through 21, currently enrolled or seeking enrollment, now or in the future, in Ohio's public school system, who have a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act [(IDEA)], 20 U.S.C. §§1400 et seq., the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. §§790 et seq., or the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. §§12010, et seq., and who require, as a result of their disability, special education and related services or accommodations that are designed to meet individual educational needs of students with disabilities as adequately as the needs of nondisabled children are met, and the parents or guardians of such children." (Docket No. 168.) The class definition goes on to define the types of disabilities at issue. (Id.)"

Assuming they go down to a 2 day school week, I would imagine it would not be hard for a good trial lawyer to argue the quality of education for both disabled and nondisabled children are not adequately met.

Edit:

No dog in this fight. 35, single, no kids.  So whatever, gov't takes an absurd amount of money from me one way or another.  But not sending kids back to school full time is still absolutely absurd to me.
View All Quotes

Doe V Ohio: "This case is a class action lawsuit brought by a class certified as "all children, ages three through 21, currently enrolled or seeking enrollment, now or in the future, in Ohio's public school system, who have a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act [(IDEA)], 20 U.S.C. §§1400 et seq., the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C. §§790 et seq., or the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42 U.S.C. §§12010, et seq., and who require, as a result of their disability, special education and related services or accommodations that are designed to meet individual educational needs of students with disabilities as adequately as the needs of nondisabled children are met, and the parents or guardians of such children." (Docket No. 168.) The class definition goes on to define the types of disabilities at issue. (Id.)"

Assuming they go down to a 2 day school week, I would imagine it would not be hard for a good trial lawyer to argue the quality of education for both disabled and nondisabled children are not adequately met.

Edit:

No dog in this fight. 35, single, no kids.  So whatever, gov't takes an absurd amount of money from me one way or another.  But not sending kids back to school full time is still absolutely absurd to me.

I can see how an argument could possibly be made that the Special Ed classes need to stay in session, and perhaps other kids with disabilities that can't be accommodated, but at the same time I'd think the argument could be made the rest of the students could keep on with reduced hours.

The only thing I can think of to counter is if students are not performing at the legal expectations. However, legislators could simply change the legal expectations. And even if students under perform, would that not be a matter of punishing a district through means established in Ohio code, (i.e. funding and charters, etc.) rather than legal?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FreedomSoul:
Is there a way to start a recall on members of a school board? If so, and assuming the school board is ultimately responsible for this decision, we should prepare to start the process. If not, then perhaps we need to start a statewide process to recall Governor DeSpined.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FreedomSoul:
Is there a way to start a recall on members of a school board? If so, and assuming the school board is ultimately responsible for this decision, we should prepare to start the process. If not, then perhaps we need to start a statewide process to recall Governor DeSpined.

Elected officials of counties, cities, and villages that are defined as municipal corporations may be recalled.

Although state law allows the recall of municipal officials and provides for a recall process, a charter city may, through its charter, allow or forbid recall elections.[1]

The right of local recall does not extend to removing members of school boards.

In Ohio, there is no right of statewide recall, either of federal or state government officials, and no ability to recall members of the Ohio State Legislature.

https://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_recall_in_Ohio
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]

I can see how an argument could possibly be made that the Special Ed classes need to stay in session, and perhaps other kids with disabilities that can't be accommodated, but at the same time I'd think the argument could be made the rest of the students could keep on with reduced hours.

The only thing I can think of to counter is if students are not performing at the legal expectations. However, legislators could simply change the legal expectations. And even if students under perform, would that not be a matter of punishing a district through means established in Ohio code, (i.e. funding and charters, etc.) rather than legal?
View All Quotes

Edit:

I can see how an argument could possibly be made that the Special Ed classes need to stay in session, and perhaps other kids with disabilities that can't be accommodated, but at the same time I'd think the argument could be made the rest of the students could keep on with reduced hours.

The only thing I can think of to counter is if students are not performing at the legal expectations. However, legislators could simply change the legal expectations. And even if students under perform, would that not be a matter of punishing a district through means established in Ohio code, (i.e. funding and charters, etc.) rather than legal?

You asked under what grounds for a lawsuit...  Not if a lawsuit would be successful, nor if the state would change the legal expectations. That's goal post moving.  We both know that this is no legal precedent for an event such as this.  So I gave you a possible, legal starting point, in theory, for a previously successful class action lawsuit over the expectations of education.

Expectations of education has been historically, a very gray area in US law.  As there is currently, no legal precedent for education expectations in the US, nor is it in the constitution yet.  There have been state/federal lawsuits over it, most of which ended up going nowhere for one reason or another.  Mostly settling, as the above, before it became a matter of law and SCOTUS.  

But, I answered the initial question: Under what grounds.  Well, there's a starting point for the grounds. Where it gets to... Well, who knows. Chances are by the time it actually works its way through the court system, COVID19 will be in the past and things will return to whatever 'normal' is at that point in time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]

You asked under what grounds for a lawsuit...  Not if a lawsuit would be successful, nor if the state would change the legal expectations. That's goal post moving.  We both know that this is no legal precedent for an event such as this.  So I gave you a possible, legal starting point, in theory, for a previously successful class action lawsuit over the expectations of education. 

Expectations of education has been historically, a very gray area in US law.  As there is currently, no legal precedent for education expectations in the US, nor is it in the constitution yet.  There have been state/federal lawsuits over it, most of which ended up going nowhere for one reason or another.  Mostly settling, as the above, before it became a matter of law and SCOTUS.  

But, I answered the initial question: Under what grounds.  Well, there's a starting point for the grounds. Where it gets to... Well, who knows. Chances are by the time it actually works its way through the court system, COVID19 will be in the past and things will return to whatever 'normal' is at that point in time.
View All Quotes

Edit:

You asked under what grounds for a lawsuit...  Not if a lawsuit would be successful, nor if the state would change the legal expectations. That's goal post moving.  We both know that this is no legal precedent for an event such as this.  So I gave you a possible, legal starting point, in theory, for a previously successful class action lawsuit over the expectations of education. 

Expectations of education has been historically, a very gray area in US law.  As there is currently, no legal precedent for education expectations in the US, nor is it in the constitution yet.  There have been state/federal lawsuits over it, most of which ended up going nowhere for one reason or another.  Mostly settling, as the above, before it became a matter of law and SCOTUS.  

But, I answered the initial question: Under what grounds.  Well, there's a starting point for the grounds. Where it gets to... Well, who knows. Chances are by the time it actually works its way through the court system, COVID19 will be in the past and things will return to whatever 'normal' is at that point in time.

Yes, you answered my question. Thank you. I was simply engaging in discussion about it, not being critical of your answer.

I am also aware anyone can sue anyone for any reason, but that doesn't make it a legitimate suit. I would venture a guess that many people who say "I'm gonna sue!" most of the time don't have any real idea what law is being violated by the incident over which they want to sue. And then there is the issue of standing.

This issue should have nothing to do with Federal Law, as education is a State issue (yes, someone could try to make a case). The Ohio Constitution does mention education, as does the Northwest Territory charter that preceded it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Ehh, donno about that.  From my lurking seems to me NightFox is a lawyer.  At least that's how his posts usually come across to me.  Seems an alright guy though.  

I sure as shit don't want this 2 day part time crap.  I'm pulling my hair out corralling my kid to get 'em to sit still long enough to watch the video's and explain what the dang teachers dont.  

What I DO know is I would most likely be in jail if I had to teach classes in elementary school.  I know it's always different with your own kids vs. someone elses...others tend to listen better, so they earn it in my eyes.  Yes I am Union, no, not teachers union.

Makes no sense that as Swine said 90% of Ohio will be open for business this week, if people don't work since they cant have any child care.  

One thing that always gets me is if they don't think NOW is the time..ok, then when is it in their minds?  Vaccine's may or may  not work and are a ways away.  People will NOT go back to lock down.  So what does it look like to them?  What triggers them to ay "ok, now it's safe?"  When we all know safe is relative?

One last thing....might want to watch any lawsuit.  If there is a case and it wins thats says kids need to be in a school for X days, would that have an impact on those that truly homeschool?  Don't wanna frack that up for htem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Yes, you answered my question. Thank you. I was simply engaging in discussion about it, not being critical of your answer.

I am also aware anyone can sue anyone for any reason, but that doesn't make it a legitimate suit. I would venture a guess that many people who say "I'm gonna sue!" most of the time don't have any real idea what law is being violated by the incident over which they want to sue. And then there is the issue of standing.

This issue should have nothing to do with Federal Law, as education is a State issue (yes, someone could try to make a case). The Ohio Constitution does mention education, as does the Northwest Territory charter that preceded it.
View All Quotes

Edit:

Yes, you answered my question. Thank you. I was simply engaging in discussion about it, not being critical of your answer.

I am also aware anyone can sue anyone for any reason, but that doesn't make it a legitimate suit. I would venture a guess that many people who say "I'm gonna sue!" most of the time don't have any real idea what law is being violated by the incident over which they want to sue. And then there is the issue of standing.

This issue should have nothing to do with Federal Law, as education is a State issue (yes, someone could try to make a case). The Ohio Constitution does mention education, as does the Northwest Territory charter that preceded it.

Sorry for the semi-snarky response. It’s just that I’ve been pulled into these legal roundabouts and it ends up with a “gotcha” type comment and people get mad. I prefer to answer one question completely.  Then leave it at that in terms of legality of issues, especially at an unprecedented time.

The idea of a class action lawsuit against the state, for education is not unreasonable I believe.

We all pay taxes that go to public education one way or another.  If there is an inadequate usage of those dollars, I would expect a refund or relief of it. Otherwise, I would expect (if I had kids) a full school week.  Fair usage so to speak.

An interesting series of lawsuits around the US that could echo this, actually deals with public roads.  A few states have ruled that, the state/county/municipality (whom ever is in charge of that section of road) is responsible for the safe condition of that road, for its usage.  If they allow traffic, on a clearly unsafe road, they can be held responsible for damages.

So, since we are paying for schools, like we are roads, then is the state responsible for the safety? How would that work if the kids are staying home more?

There is also a current legal challenge in another state that roads cannot be closed indefinitely for repairs.  So add that all in.

It’s a complicated subject.  But at least in my idiotic opinion, there is legal grounds for a decent lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Ehh, donno about that.  From my lurking seems to me NightFox is a lawyer.  At least that's how his posts usually come across to me.  Seems an alright guy though.  

I sure as shit don't want this 2 day part time crap.  I'm pulling my hair out corralling my kid to get 'em to sit still long enough to watch the video's and explain what the dang teachers dont.  

What I DO know is I would most likely be in jail if I had to teach classes in elementary school.  I know it's always different with your own kids vs. someone elses...others tend to listen better, so they earn it in my eyes.  Yes I am Union, no, not teachers union.

Makes no sense that as Swine said 90% of Ohio will be open for business this week, if people don't work since they cant have any child care.  

One thing that always gets me is if they don't think NOW is the time..ok, then when is it in their minds?  Vaccine's may or may  not work and are a ways away.  People will NOT go back to lock down.  So what does it look like to them?  What triggers them to ay "ok, now it's safe?"  When we all know safe is relative?

One last thing....might want to watch any lawsuit.  If there is a case and it wins thats says kids need to be in a school for X days, would that have an impact on those that truly homeschool?  Don't wanna frack that up for htem.
View All Quotes

Ehh, donno about that.  From my lurking seems to me NightFox is a lawyer.  At least that's how his posts usually come across to me.  Seems an alright guy though.  

I sure as shit don't want this 2 day part time crap.  I'm pulling my hair out corralling my kid to get 'em to sit still long enough to watch the video's and explain what the dang teachers dont.  

What I DO know is I would most likely be in jail if I had to teach classes in elementary school.  I know it's always different with your own kids vs. someone elses...others tend to listen better, so they earn it in my eyes.  Yes I am Union, no, not teachers union.

Makes no sense that as Swine said 90% of Ohio will be open for business this week, if people don't work since they cant have any child care.  

One thing that always gets me is if they don't think NOW is the time..ok, then when is it in their minds?  Vaccine's may or may  not work and are a ways away.  People will NOT go back to lock down.  So what does it look like to them?  What triggers them to ay "ok, now it's safe?"  When we all know safe is relative?

One last thing....might want to watch any lawsuit.  If there is a case and it wins thats says kids need to be in a school for X days, would that have an impact on those that truly homeschool?  Don't wanna frack that up for htem.

The "Vaccine" for this won't be any better than the flu shot. I have zero trust in the flu shot, kids got it, still got both A & B this year.

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Your real estate taxes went up because of a bond levy?  

Originally Posted By BeNotAfraid:

BAM! What he said. 

My city just passed an $82,000,000.00 bond levy for 30 years for public schools. Read that again. My  realty taxes went thru the roof. The locals kept screaming: "It's for the children!" All the young Moms with hubbies in transient positions (3-5 yrs) got it squeezed through. It really was for the teachers' pensions and building trade unions here--full employment & retirement act for decades.

Most teachers here are making near $100k/yr for 9 months of alleged "work," with an MA, plus the gold-plated bennies, retirement and the like.

I have been in this community for 46 years and have no children.

How's about cutting my taxes with a machete? People visiting me from out-of-town ask me why are there so many Malls here? I have to tell them--THEY are the brand new schools being built with $84M.

Two day school week? INSANE.

https://www.hudsoninnovates.com/media/1375/hudson-high-school.png

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't like the idea, I would communicate that to the Superintendent and school board. Also talk to some of the vocational and shop teachers if you know them.

Right now there is a lot of "rose-tinted" glasses talk going on from Administrators and the ODH... Basically they are talking about how great online learning is and how much everyone likes it.

Tell them that you don't like it and why.

You would probably be surprised how many teachers really dislike the online learning and the lack of accountability that goes with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Breedy:
If you don't like the idea, I would communicate that to the Superintendent and school board. Also talk to some of the vocational and shop teachers if you know them.

Right now there is a lot of "rose-tinted" glasses talk going on from Administrators and the ODH... Basically they are talking about how great online learning is and how much everyone likes it. 

Tell them that you don't like it and why. 

You would probably be surprised how many teachers really dislike the online learning and the lack of accountability that goes with it.
View Quote

Considering the number of phone calls from our district reminding parents that their children MUST participate in order to get a grade and move to the next grade level is quite surprising. From the teachers I've talked to, nobody wants the online learning.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#32]
There is no accountability.

My step-son is in 4th grade.  
Of approx 60 kids, 21 is the most they have had online for class on any day.
but... but... "This is a poor rural school district"

Sure.... I bet none of their moms have an smartphone or tablet the kid can use for 30 minutes.  Bullshit!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe someone knows the history of it, but why has K-12 historically been Monday-Friday? At some point, it seems a social contract was made that work hours for parents would coincide with the hours that a child is in school. Ohio code says a child of compulsory age must attend at least 32 weeks a year of school. Are we redefining what a week means now?

If a child did not show up for school X amount of days, parents would actually be legally reprimanded. There are a shitload of laws on this.

The education system has been under criticism for decades now, and this might be the opportunity we’ve all been waiting for to reform it. It’s a sad situation, because many adults are stupid. They barely finished HS, and can’t even speak in a semi-normal manner.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:10:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Maybe someone knows the history of it, but why has K-12 historically been Monday-Friday? At some point, it seems a social contract was made that work hours for parents would coincide with the hours that a child is in school. Ohio code says a child of compulsory age must attend at least 32 weeks a year of school. Are we redefining what a week means now?

If a child did not show up for school X amount of days, parents would actually be legally reprimanded. There are a shitload of laws on this.
View Quote

Unless it's changed, the amount of required instruction is measured in hours. Schools have some flexibility on the length of the day and year.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top