Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2021 5:15:43 AM EDT
Hello everyone, my wife and I are looking into moving to Knoxville from Utah for her Masters Degree from UT. Planning on staying for at least 3-4 years or longer if we really like it. Neither of us have ever been to Knoxville but are planning on visiting in the next 4-6 weeks to check it out before we make a final decision.

What can you all tell me about the area? Any areas to avoid?
Any good gun ranges or places to shoot past 2-300 yards?
Also looking for any really great Realtor suggestions?
Any quirky gun laws we should be aware of?

Really, any info you think we would find useful we would appreciate it. We aren't your typical college students, both in our mid-late 30s with no kids. Both of us are conservative and apologize for Romney being elected to the Senate!

Thank you all for the help!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Due to the housing market here, you probably are going to be quite limited as to buying anything, anywhere.

From what I have been told, the issue is no inventory. Whatever hits the market is gone in hours or a day or so and usually comes with multiple offers over asking. Another concern I would have if I were looking in this market, is it sure would be a good time to unload a dog of a house, or one in a bad area, issues/problems with the house, etc. In other words, see it first hand.

Unless you can arrange temp housing such as a rental or apartment, you will have to possibly buy sight unseen. No way I would do that, but that’s me.

Other than the usual disclaimer about some parts of the city, primarily east side, there’s not a lot of truly bad areas. But there are other issues to be aware of, length of commute, close by amenities, etc. that only come from giving it the once over by being here.

As for gun ranges, ORSA is your best bet. It is in Oak Ridge. Depending on where you’re coming from it can be 20 minutes to 45 minutes or so from Knoxville. Google Oak Ridge Sportsman’s Association for more details. It has up to a 1,000 yard rifle range. Some caveats do apply as to use such as competition only.

ETA: Not aware of any quirky gun laws per se, as I don't know your laws in UT. I do know our background check is state run as opposed to the Feds, sometimes it gets pretty backed up as has been the case lately with the gun market.

As an illustration of the current housing market. I have a friend who had a home in a fairly affluent section of town. It was an older home but was in some serious need of updating. Of course you always hear location, location, location and his definitely had that for it. He puts on the market as is, where is. And he puts a hefty price on it. Less than 1 day later he has 5 offers ALL over asking price. The people that bought it were in another state and only viewed it online. My friend made the stipulation that the buyers had to come look at it in person before he would ink the deal as he did not want them backing out at the last minute although he had multiple backup offers. It is that hot here.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info @rebel_rifle We are not too worried if we have to get an apartment for a few months while we shop for houses. We don't really have any desire to buy sight unseen. Sounds like what we are expecting when we post our current house for sale, lots of offers over asking price. Our current commute is about 45 min each way so we aren't too worried about that. We actually booked a trip out in a few weeks to get boots on the ground and make sure we still want to do it! We are both really excited though. My wife has never lived out of Utah and I haven't lived back east since 2005. I used to live in W Va. and the western part of VA. Can't wait to get out of the desert.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That is probably your best bet, to get an apartment. This allows you time to take in the area and figure out where you want to live. 45 minute commutes or less open you up to a huge area to pick from. With no kids and not having to worry about good schools gives you even more freedom.

I know the apartment market was very tight here at one time but there’s been an absolute building craze the last few years on very nice apartments so the market may not be as tight.

Having been to and working in the areas you’ve been to,Knoxville should more than exceed your expectations.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Avoid Magnolia Avenue.  

Rebel_Rifle is correct about the real estate market right now.  

If I was in my mid-30's, no kids, and going to UT for grad school, I would be looking at a downtown condo.  We have a great downtown area, and you'd be able to walk, bike, or take a bus to class.

ORSA is one of the best ranges in the region.  You need a sponsor to join, but that isn't difficult.  Multiple competitions, in just about every shooting discipline, are going on most weekends. TAC2 in Greeneville is also a nice range.  It goes out to 600.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info Rebel. The apartment market is not the cheapest I've seen but it should hopefully only be for a short time until we build or buy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Avoid Magnolia Avenue.  

Rebel_Rifle is correct about the real estate market right now.  

If I was in my mid-30's, no kids, and going to UT for grad school, I would be looking at a downtown condo.  We have a great downtown area, and you'd be able to walk, bike, or take a bus to class.

ORSA is one of the best ranges in the region.  You need a sponsor to join, but that isn't difficult.  Multiple competitions, in just about every shooting discipline, are going on most weekends. TAC2 in Greeneville is also a nice range.  It goes out to 600.
View Quote

Good to know about Magnolia Ave LawVol. We talked about a condo, but both decided we wanted a house with a lawn and no shared walls. Wife really wants a dog, and I refuse unless we have space for it to run outside.

Also, thanks for the range info. I enjoy shooting competitions when ammo isn't insanely priced lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
In the late 90’s I rented an all-inclusive apartment at Forest Park Boulevard, just west of downtown.  The apartment building is HERE.

Rent included electrical and water.  Close to all shopping in west Knoxville, and about 10 minutes to downtown, where the university is.  I lived there prior to attending UT.  Nice place, secure, quiet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top