Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2020 8:33:59 PM EDT
News just announced they're moving into the soon-to-be vacant JC Pennys space, by sometime in 2021.

Should put some pressure on Bob Wards & CabBasselasPro.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
When I go to CO the one in the Ft. Collins/Loveland area is pretty amazing.

They have 65 ft tall Ferris wheel inside.

Ferris wheel
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess they'll have to poke a hole in the old JC Pennys store roof to fit one in.

Winco is coming to town this year, going into the old Shopko building.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scheels stores are awesome. They give back to the community all the time.
View Quote
They charge enough to give back a hell of a lot more.
I always like the experience of being in Scheels, all the way up to the register. That's when things get rough.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I am glad we have a couple of local sporting good stores, Snappys and Sportsman regularly beat the national chain stores.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Compared to Cabela's which is our other big sporting goods store , Scheels usually has better prices. Plus they price match anything. Even internet sales.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always like the experience of being in Scheels, all the way up to the register. That's when things get rough.
Compared to Cabela's which is our other big sporting goods store , Scheels usually has better prices. Plus they price match anything. Even internet sales.
I've never been in a Scheels store. How is it compared to Cabela's, in just the overall look and feel of the place? I ask, having been to the Missoula Cabela's exactly once, for probably 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully Scheels have a decent reloading section.  Ass Pro(old name they were given in Alabama years ago) really cut the one at Cabelas, and went ridiculous on the pricing.  MSRP on guns.....really?!?!  Even their used guns are ridiculously priced in most cases.  About the only thing I can get cheaper there than online is my Extreme 9mm/.380/.45ACP projectiles that no one else here carries......and that's when they get them in stock.  I was getting Hornady 55gr FMJBT for $6.99/100, now they are almost as expensive as A-Max.  As soon as my card is paid off, it goes through the shredder.

Bob Wards has some decent pricing on some things, but rape you on others(like ammo pricing from 2013).  We figured Cabelas would have made them(and Axmen) wake up and smell the coffee.  Nope.  Once Sheels opens, that will be 3 big box SG stores here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am glad we have a couple of local sporting good stores, Snappys and Sportsman regularly beat the national chain stores.
View Quote
If you haven't already, check out Machineguns Montana. I've known Brent for over 20 years and he runs good deals on ammo & components.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you haven't already, check out Machineguns Montana. I've known Brent for over 20 years and he runs good deals on ammo & components.
View Quote
Seems like every single time, I plan on stopping in to MGM, something sidetracks me, was going to drop in last Friday and ended up needing to pick something up for my lathe!

Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Way nicer store. Employees are knowledgeable and friendly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never been in a Scheels store. How is it compared to Cabela's, in just the overall look and feel of the place? I ask, having been to the Missoula Cabela's exactly once, for probably 20 minutes.
Way nicer store. Employees are knowledgeable and friendly.
Good to hear. I'll definitely check it out. Almost tripped on some sweathog in Cabelas, who was laying on his side in an aisle, "stocking shelves". Not a good first impression, and never returned.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have known a couple of good people in the Missoula Cabelas.  One has left already.  My advise to the other was to leave because that store will be history. Before the BP takeover, I was a frequent flyer in the store.  The coupons came in the mail, the military discount was good but that faded.  My Cabelas CC being the primary CC was changed.  I saw the writing on the wall with the BP take over and shopped elsewhere and did not use the new CC.  Sad to say but within 5 years, I can see Cabelas being history.

I have been in one Sheels.  The one in Great Falls put the new Cabelas to shame.  Looking forward to the new store!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I’d like to see sportsmanswarehouse expand.

Scheels, while head and shoulders above cabelas still take a back seat to sportsman’s warehouse.

Good prices, good staff and good selection.

Haven’t been to he bozeman or Missoula one but like he helena store and been to stores in other states as well
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd like to see sportsmanswarehouse expand.

Scheels, while head and shoulders above cabelas still take a back seat to sportsman's warehouse.

Good prices, good staff and good selection.

Haven't been to he bozeman or Missoula one but like he helena store and been to stores in other states as well
View Quote
Shop a lot at the sportsmans in Anchorage,AK. Nicely stocked,good people but their prices are/were higher than cabelas.

Only time we set foot in cableas/basspro is to let the kids see the fish or get something sportsmans does not carry.
We also hit up the local shops.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
When the recession hit hard in 2008/09 the Sportsman's Warehouse org found out they had over expanded. They sold/closed a sizeable number of their stores including the Missoula one. The Missoula spot was opened up under a new name/owner.

When things started bouncing back a few years later Sportsman's Warehouse did also, and re-occupied the Missoula store. Since they've expanded.

I know a few folks in the Missoula Cabelas since the first opening. Two summers ago Bass Pro pushed a major reorg there (after the buy) and a knew the writing was on the wall.  I have heard a lot of horror stories about the new Bass Pro business model from there.

I was by the South gate mall yesterday and there's a large box second story right on top of the soon-to-be former Pennys. I don't know if thats the HVAC for the whole mall but its big so wishful thinking on if they can squeeze the ferris wheel in there.

IMO Scheels has a much more family/interactive approach to things than the Bass Pro/Cabelas store has.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When the recession hit hard in 2008/09 the Sportsman's Warehouse org found out they had over expanded. They sold/closed a sizeable number of their stores including the Missoula one. The Missoula spot was opened up under a new name/owner.

When things started bouncing back a few years later Sportsman's Warehouse did also, and re-occupied the Missoula store. Since they've expanded.
View Quote
I wish I could remember what it was called. My Ex worked at the one in Helena during that time. It was a Canadian company that Sportsman's evidently owed money to, so they sold a lot of the western stores to them.  Then when Sportsman's got back on their feet they purchased them back.  It was a mess, and I never did really like that store or the prices.  Overall the people stayed the same though. While the one in Helena is good, I am not sure it is at the same level as it was before.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish I could remember what it was called. My Ex worked at the one in Helena during that time. It was a Canadian company that Sportsman's evidently owed money to, so they sold a lot of the western stores to them.  Then when Sportsman's got back on their feet they purchased them back.  It was a mess, and I never did really like that store or the prices.  Overall the people stayed the same though. While the one in Helena is good, I am not sure it is at the same level as it was before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sportsman's Supply
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sportsman's Supply
View Quote
That name reminds me of the old Sportsman's Surplus store at Trempers back in the day.  I liked that place and did good business with them. And the old Bob Wards was right across the street basically.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sportsman's Supply
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sportsman's Supply
I thought it was changed to Wholesale Sports. Then, back to Sportsman’s Warehouse. I say that because I can remember walking down the ammo isle and some old guy looked at me all confused and said, “I don’t see anything wholesale in this store.”  I laughed out loud.  Same story today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope Scheels keeps expanding.

I went in to the Kalispell Cabelas the other day killing time during a tire rotate...obscene pricing on guns.  The gem of the used handguns was a well used S&W 5906 for $699.  LOL!!!

Every time I go in there, it's just more clothing....

I actually went in there with the intent of spending some money, and I was hard pressed to find SOMETHING decently priced...ended up with a couple boxes of ammo...

I give the Kalispell store 3 years tops.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I give the Kalispell store 3 years tops.
View Quote
Hell, we have been saying that since the day it opened!

I go across 93 most of the time to Sportsmans Ski House, or run to the other side of town and go to my friends store, Snappys.  They are always better stocked and better prices.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Once Johnny from Bass Pro gets enough $$ to pay off the loan he took out to buy Cabelas I suspect he'll sell it off, and keep the locations that are desirable and rename them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my contacts in town told me that they'll be putting a second floor on the footprint the Scheels will be taking over in the mall and adding enough room for the indoor ferris wheel.

Bob Wards is doing an upgrade of their store right across the parking lot, and will keep the Missoula store open come hell or high water since Missoula is where BW started, and might close one of the other less performing stores.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I thought it was changed to Wholesale Sports. Then, back to Sportsman’s Warehouse. I say that because I can remember walking down the ammo isle and some old guy looked at me all confused and said, “I don’t see anything wholesale in this store.”  I laughed out loud.  Same story today.
View Quote
The one in Missoula became Outdoorsman's Warehouse for a bit, then back to Sportsman's Warehouse.  The interior layout never changed, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top