Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 10:26:23 PM EDT
No natural gas for new homes. New homes are required to install solar panels, as well?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Eliminating natural gas is a mistake.  They can’t effectively provide electricity as it is.

Solar panels have been required everywhere since 2017 ish.  We also have a residential sprinkler system requirement and most recently battery backups on garage door openers.  Of course, all add to the cost of new construction.

ETA:  By everywhere, I mean throughout the state on new construction.  They also had a goal of retrofitting a certain percentage of older homes with solar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If they want to put the solar panels on my roof at their cost and charge me nothing for the electricity I'd be good with that.  

But, in a bit folks are going to figure out what one climatologist has already figured out.  If we absorb more solar energy, we aren't radiating it.  Guess what, the earth will be hotter even without the "green house gas" BS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The no NG is the new trend. They basically found that its more effective to their goals then go after your cars at this point, keep in mind residential emissions from cars or homes is nothing, but we make the easiest targets. The other major problem in the state is all the excess power in the early parts of the year from solar, so much surplus prices go negative, so make you heat with electricity is the easy answer. The new solar for homes was originally for rooftop, but developers can now offset it by buying into large solar farms, so just another cost now. Granted I'm ok with that, because they were preventing trees being planted in new developments so that the shade wouldn't prevent solar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Around here they planted eucalyptus (not sure which one) for trees in our development and a few carob or California pepper.  All of the home side eucalyptus are gone because they are a messy PITA.  The others?  Few if any after 30 some years would be problematic for roof top solar installations.

I'd also wonder what impact water consumption might make in some of the "planning" in some places.  People like street trees but they require water, again, maintenance, damage sidewalks, clean up from shed leaves depending on the types, etc.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If it comes to a tree versus a solar panel, I'd take the tree every time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Around here they planted eucalyptus (not sure which one) for trees in our development and a few carob or California pepper.  All of the home side eucalyptus are gone because they are a messy PITA.  The others?  Few if any after 30 some years would be problematic for roof top solar installations.

I'd also wonder what impact water consumption might make in some of the "planning" in some places.  People like street trees but they require water, again, maintenance, damage sidewalks, clean up from shed leaves depending on the types, etc.

View Quote

Eucalyptus are garbage trees that love to burn, I don't understand why anyone would want them. It's not terribly hard to plant a tree native to your area that only require watering the first year or two and maybe a bit during a drought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top