Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2022 2:36:31 PM EDT
I posted similar back last year but we never made the trip. Fast forward to now and we are thinking about a trip to San Antonio again. I have some flight vouchers about to expire.

Is the San Antonio River walk area ok place to bring kids for a vacation. I’m assuming we would hit sea world, six flags, Alamo type stuff.

Honest opinions please. Yes I know there’s crime in every city, but I don’t want to be somewhere where I’m constantly having to watch my back for panhandlers and thugs.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
it has been a while since we were there.
I think it will depend on how small your kids are. I always felt like I was making sure they didn't fall in.

also somewhere along there is a children's museum. they enjoyed that very much as little kids.
We have been to so many they get muddled in my head a bit, so I can't remember any specifics for you.

one other tip for seaworld. again for small kids. you can drive right up to the entrance and drop everyone off, then park, however far you have to park and walk back.
this is helpful for drop off and getting out of the park, so they aren't (or you aren't  carrying) walking all the way to the back 40 to get to the car.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Riverwalk area and downtown are safe for kids.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple of teenagers and a 7yo
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Covid will be the biggest issue. Tests are unavailable since all the testers have bat sniffles. Eateries may/may not be open as well as entertainment venues.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Teh river is 3-4’ deep in most places, but I’m sure it’s loaded w/mines
At the bottom

Institute of Texas Cultures is worth it & they have kid type  educational stuff
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
In the San Antonio area:

Gruene TX is worth visiting - The Gristmill Restaurant has decent food (and a nice view of the Guadalupe River), and the Gruene Dancehall (located next door) often has good live music. (ZZ Top shot a couple of "live" videos there).

There are also some interesting (albeit tourist-heavy) shops in the surrounding several blocks.

The town of Gruene intersects with River Road, which follows the Guadalupe River through some great country - makes a nice afternoon drive.

Floore's Country Store in Helotes (just Northwest of San Antonio) often has good entertainment in a small venue.

The Missions of San Antonio are interesting - They're scattered throughout the southern side of the city, mostly located along the old San Antonio River.

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.

Other good food in the area:

Taco Taco
Panchito's (Excellent for breakfast!)
225 Urban Smoke Barbecue - Quite possibly the best BBQ in San Antonio.

Honestly, there aren't many dangerous areas in town - and essentially none during normal daylight hours.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In the San Antonio area:

Gruene TX is worth visiting - The Gristmill Restaurant has decent food (and a nice view of the Guadalupe River), and the Gruene Dancehall (located next door) often has good live music. (ZZ Top shot a couple of "live" videos there).

There are also some interesting (albeit tourist-heavy) shops in the surrounding several blocks.

The town of Gruene intersects with River Road, which follows the Guadalupe River through some great country - makes a nice afternoon drive.

Floore's Country Store in Helotes (just Northwest of San Antonio) often has good entertainment in a small venue.

The Missions of San Antonio are interesting - They're scattered throughout the southern side of the city, mostly located along the old San Antonio River.

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.

Taco Taco

Honestly, there aren't many dangerous areas in town - and essentially none during normal daylight hours.
View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#8]
They drain the riverwalk once a year for cleaning and maintenance.

It is scheduled January 23rd - 30th this year.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes San Antonio is great. DM me I have a place near the pearl.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Buckhorn Saloon and museum is worth a visit, just a few blocks from Alamo.

I’m in San Antonio area should you need a contact here.Buckhorn website
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Covid will be the biggest issue. Tests are unavailable since all the testers have bat sniffles. Eateries may/may not be open as well as entertainment venues.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In the San Antonio area:

Taco Taco

View Quote

I have been to the Gristmill many of times and it is always delicious. The missions are also cool and I would personally go to them before the Alamo. Another great restaurant is MI Tierra located in the square.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#13]
You will see panhandlers in downtown San Antonio, but honestly, not nearly as bad there as it is in Austin these days.  Here they are thick as flies on a pile of cow chips all the way out to where I live, and I'm 12-15 miles outside downtown.

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
We love San Antonio.

I have been going there for my whole life and in the last 30 year almost yearly.  I have walked the river by my self at 3am when younger. Walked all over down town and the market area even at night.  In all these years I ran into one team of pick pockets just off the river.  Two women and they did not get my wallet.

Today I would probably not walk from the river to the market at night but if you stay around other people you should be fine.

I almost always carry a gun and always a knife when in SA.  But that’s good advice anywhere now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top