Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
Father in law passed away, went to Decatur for the funeral. Hadn't been there in quite some time, did some driving around and got somewhat depressed. The vacant lots where houses once stood, lack of businesses, overall depressed atmosphere.
The town had a lot more going for it at one time. Guess it's the typical rust belt blue collar factory town left behind.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The Democrats have had a strangle hold on Illinois for over 40 years and they are driving businesses out of Illinois.  Taxes are high and a lot of employees make a career out of Worker's Compensation claims.  

Businesses are fleeing Illinois every day and will continue to do so until we have a major change in Springfield politics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Went there this summer to do some training with Decatur P.D. all I can say is wow. At  night the northeast side of town for their P.D. is insane.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went there this summer to do some training with Decatur P.D. all I can say is wow. At  night the northeast side of town for their P.D. is insane.
View Quote
I was on the Decatur PD for 4 years before getting on Dallas PD. While I saw a lot more due to the size of Dallas I didn't see anything I hadn't seen as a Decatur cop
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't spell Decatur without Decay.

I live two and a half hours south but used to go to ADM for work on occasion. It's a pretty shitty town but most medium to large towns in Illinois have all fallen victim to post industrial rot and urban decay. Peoria, Danville, Springfield and the like all pretty much look the same to me. Even Champaign is pretty dumpy which you don't normally see in a big college town. Travelling for work to towns all across the Midwest showed me how awful Illinois is by comparison. I'm content in my rural down state location until I can retire and leave this state for good.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Democrats have had a strangle hold on Illinois for over 40 years and they are driving businesses out of Illinois.  Taxes are high and a lot of employees make a career out of Worker's Compensation claims.  

Businesses are fleeing Illinois every day and will continue to do so until we have a major change in Springfield politics.
View Quote
pp

Coming to a city near you!
Our company was going to build a new corporate center in the Barrington area. Now Wisconsin is going to be the new home.
Mike Madigan and his flying monkeys are raping the taxpayers and businesses to death.
As soon as I can retire I'll be gone, sad to say.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Took my kids a few years back to show them their great grandparents house. It was on East Johns, a very nice neighborhood back in the 70's. Not now, we made a very fast pass through and got the hell out of there!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Took my kids a few years back to show them their great grandparents house. It was on East Johns, a very nice neighborhood back in the 70's. Not now, we made a very fast pass through and got the hell out of there!
View Quote
Lots of empty fields where decent working class houses once stood.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I work in decatur but live an hour away

Glad I don't live in town
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I work in decatur but live an hour away

Glad I don't live in town
View Quote
i have a friend from Muncie IN its the same post industrial decay there according to him.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i have a friend from Muncie IN its the same post industrial decay there according to him.
View Quote
I am from Indiana and would agree with that

Grew up around kokomo and last time I was there I couldn't believe how downhill it has gone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
My daughter goes to Millikan for nursing and works part time at DMH....it's gotten bad enough that I bought her an armor panel for her backpack and she normally has at least 2 pepper sprays on her (keys / backpack).

She's only got one year left...thankfully!
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mom and Grandma lived over on the SW side on Forest. Grandma for 40+ years, mom just for a decade. My Aunt lived out on the outskirts.

Driving through for decades saw the slow decay. Haven't been back there for a few years now, as Mom moved up with us for the year before she died, and we sold her house.
View Quote
It's depressing....
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank the closing of the projects in Chicago, and section 8 housing. Another social experiment that failed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Mayor Daley bragged about how he brought down the projects in Chicago.
He never told anybody that he did it to make his real estate buddies rich.
The bi-product was he gave all the Section 8 parasites housing vouchers and sent them into the collar counties.
Nice small towns now have to deal with the scourge of these animals.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mayor Daley bragged about how he brought down the projects in Chicago.
He never told anybody that he did it to make his real estate buddies rich.
The bi-product was he gave all the Section 8 parasites housing vouchers and sent them into the collar counties.
Nice small towns now have to deal with the scourge of these animals.
View Quote
What is worse is that cities like Bloomington and Champaign got money from the state to take the section 8 shit bags. Bloomington which used to have little to no crime has it in abundance now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top