Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2018 11:57:56 AM EDT
I'm trying to solicit feedback from other folks that have shot at GAT in the pistol ranges.  This is now the third time that I have had shrapnel come back at me in the pistol ranges.  Twice this has happened in range B, and the most recent time in range C (lane 22 or 23 if I recall correctly).

Anyone else have this happen to them?  I brought a friend from work to the range and this kinda freaked him out.

Pics or it didn't happen, I know... ;)

Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about that range, but I have had it come back at me a couple of times at HP Shooting Ctr. in McHenry years ago.
I think it's a good idea to use a heavy, sizable cardboard backer that you can attach targets to.  It won't solve all the problems, but it can act as somewhat of a shield.  I think the jackets that came back at me, were from someone else's lane, btw.  I've seen it draw blood on a couple of people before.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What the hell kind of round bounces off paper??
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL... that would be none.  The shrapnel is coming back towards the shooting lanes after hitting the steel plating at the back of the range.  This shrapnel happened to hit and get stuck to the target this time.  In range B last month, I was hit in the arm, so this is not an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me guess, the back stop angles down and into a sand pit? My local clubs indoor trap is like that. I had to dig a chuck of bullet out of my knee a few years back. Your bullet hits, goes down and spits a chunk of bullet back down range. They hung rubber belting and it all stopped.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LOL... that would be none.  The shrapnel is coming back towards the shooting lanes after hitting the steel plating at the back of the range.  This shrapnel happened to hit and get stuck to the target this time.  In range B last month, I was hit in the arm, so this is not an isolated incident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah. Thx for the education  ;)
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot at GAT quite a bit and this is not uncommon. From what I have seen it's not really going to hurt you unless you get hit in the face and which case it could definitely give you a good cut. Always wear your safety glasses again. Hey has taken pieces of the bullet jacketing and showed it to staff, they really couldn't give a shit.

Years ago, I used to shoot at Bells, right before they finally closed. That range was cobbled together steel plates laid on top of each other. On a couple of occasions I had to dodge complete bullets as they ricocheted back at me. Fortunately, they were moving slowly enough that I could see them and move in time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I shoot at GAT quite a bit and this is not uncommon. From what I have seen it's not really going to hurt you unless you get hit in the face and which case it could definitely give you a good cut. Always wear your safety glasses again. Hey has taken pieces of the bullet jacketing and showed it to staff, they really couldn't give a shit.

Years ago, I used to shoot at Bells, right before they finally closed. That range was cobbled together steel plates laid on top of each other. On a couple of occasions I had to dodge complete bullets as they ricocheted back at me. Fortunately, they were moving slowly enough that I could see them and move in time.
View Quote
Now you are bringing back memories. That was the first place I had ever fired anything bigger than a 22lr.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Not uncommon at all at GAT.  I've only shot there twice and saw shrapnel both times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top