Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2020 10:27:19 PM EDT
Going to be flying into SFO and driving out to the Napa/Sonoma area next month.  

Just looking for some intel on conditions.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
We love the wine country during harvest.  There are a number of major fires in the greater Bay Area.  If you have reservations, maybe check direct to see if they have any problems/suggestions.  Hard to tell what might change in a month or so.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

Any rioting, unrest in SF?  Will be spending an evening there and want to avoid a wrong place/wrong time scenario.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Currently SF is more or less shutdown.  They are taking the quarantine “seriously” as they put it.  Things are opening back up but it is not anywhere near a normal activity level.  As the poster above said, everything is more or less on fire at the moment.  Nearly 1m acres burned already.  By next month they should have everything under control but more fires could start between then and now.  It is fire season in California.  The plus side is that traffic is down.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The fires and their aftermaths may be ruinous to a trip to that area.  

You really should take 101 north and go over the Golden Gate Bridge on your way.Haven't been to SFO in years, but you ought to see that while you are there, even if avoiding everything else.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You should be totally fine spending the night in SF.  But your night might be kinda lame as in SF there won’t be much to do.  They have outdoor dining at least. I live in the East Bay myself.

I’ve been up to Napa recently, restaurants are open for outdoor dining, as are wineries for outdoor tasting.  I think some even actually still run tours.

Due to all the weirdness, almost everywhere you go you’re going to want to get reservations.  Dinner, wine tasting, etc.  I think you’ll be fine up in Napa / Sonoma as there should be ample things to do, unless fires resurge by the time you get here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 4:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should be totally fine spending the night in SF.  But your night might be kinda lame as in SF there won’t be much to do.  They have outdoor dining at least. I live in the East Bay myself.

I’ve been up to Napa recently, restaurants are open for outdoor dining, as are wineries for outdoor tasting.  I think some even actually still run tours.

Due to all the weirdness, almost everywhere you go you’re going to want to get reservations.  Dinner, wine tasting, etc.  I think you’ll be fine up in Napa / Sonoma as there should be ample things to do, unless fires resurge by the time you get here.
View Quote

Reservations are going to be required most places in Sonoma/Napa - best to call to confirm.

Any particular places/things you want to do in Sonoma County?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Reservations are going to be required most places in Sonoma/Napa - best to call to confirm.

Any particular places/things you want to do in Sonoma County?
View Quote

Appreciate all the input...

I actually got an invite to the GT500 track day there.....my girlfriend is coming with so I thought we might be able to at least visit a winery or have a nice dinner.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Appreciate all the input...

I actually got an invite to the GT500 track day there.....my girlfriend is coming with so I thought we might be able to at least visit a winery or have a nice dinner.

Any suggestions?
View Quote

There are tons of good restaurants, breweries and wineries in Sonoma/Marin/Napa counties - really just depends on what you like and where you want to stay.  Basically you can't go wrong.

There isn't anything cheap in these counties though.........  And stay the F out of Vallejo.

If you're spending a day at Sonoma Raceway/Sears Point I'd probably try to stick around Sonoma just to make the logistics easier.

Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are tons of good restaurants, breweries and wineries in Sonoma/Marin/Napa counties - really just depends on what you like and where you want to stay.  Basically you can't go wrong.

There isn't anything cheap in these counties though.........  And stay the F out of Vallejo.

If you're spending a day at Sonoma Raceway/Sears Point I'd probably try to stick around Sonoma just to make the logistics easier.

View Quote

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Was up in the Santa Ynez Valley the other day.  A popular wine area not to far  from L.A., north of Santa Barbara.  Was chatting with some folks and one of the ladies was very negative about their last trip to the Sonoma area.  Not about the wineries, etc., but that Sonoma was not nearly as nice as their previous trips.  didn't get a lot of details, perhaps getting a little/lot grungy from homeless or economic downturn, fire impacts?  In any event, I was looking at rates for lodging in the area, sort of thinking about a visit this fall.  In the past we've stayed in Petaluma which isn't too far from Sonoma and easy access to the 101 to go north or south.  Lodging in Petaluma was  well less than Sonoma.  Also, checked a couple of wineries to see about tastings, etc., and several were  cut way back to limit numbers and required reservations.  Food services were cut way back at some, too, and several reported poor air conditions due to the fires.  So that does make it seem like it's going to be  important to reserve in advance for activities and lodging.  Evacuations or fire damages could take up a lot of the lodging options.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Evacuation orders for the Walbridge Fire just west of Healdsburg have been scaled way back so that should relieve some of the pressure on hotels and air quality is much much better than last weekend (rode 20 miles this morning w/o any smoke issues).

We do have a homeless problem but its primarily in Santa Rosa city limits - shouldn’t be an issue unless you’re in downtown Santa Rosa or Roseland.

Novato & Petaluma both have nice walkable downtown areas with good restaurants - and are relatively close to Sonoma Raceway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top