Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2024 4:00:02 PM EDT
Well I guess it's better than MISSING that amount?

https://apnews.com/article/south-carolina-missing-money-treasurer-comptroller-85ae9a632712477b0f8e354aee226d11
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe that’s the money from the tax increases earmarked to fix the roads.    I am absolutely certain that money never got spent!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:35:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike56] [#2]
Well, my advice would be, if you don;t know where it came from, or what it is for, you didn't need it in the first place. GIVE IT BACK
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
1.8 Billion

Heybigmanlemmeholdadollah
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mike56:
Well, my advice would be, if you don;t know where it came from, or what it is for, you didn't need it in the first place. GIVE IT BACK
View Quote

How much per taxpayer? Citizen / person in SC?
Or for reparation, don't the Native Americas deserve something?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple years ago we got money back in the middle of the year for the state bringing in to much
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda like finding a crumpled up $100 bill in a pair of pants that you haven’t worn in a long time,
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Couple years ago we got money back in the middle of the year for the state bringing in to much
View Quote

I never got that return.  Apparently they used an old bank account number we closed and it kicked back to them.  I’ve reached out and never heard anything other than “we’re working on it “.
I’m trying again this week and then reaching out to my state rep.  
Hey, $800 is $800.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea it was right around 800

That 1.8b should come back to the residents as well

Although 26 and 95 are going to have to be widened at some point
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sdsquad1] [#9]
$1.8 billion you can do significant infrastructure work with that kind of money. I would have to monitor the work of course.

What is the road they want to bring in to connect 95 cutting travel time by about an hour from Myrtle Beach ?

Edit
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sdsquad1:
$1.8 billion you can do significant infrastructure work with that kind of money. I would have to monitor the work of course.

What is the road they want to bring in to connect 95 cutting travel time by about an hour from Myrtle Beach ?

Edit
View Quote

Yep, how many of our bridges alone are in terrible shape, that's not even talking about the roads and other infrastructure projects that needs to be addressed, just bridges.  I'm sure some powerful people will get it earmarked for their pet projects or it'll get wasted on tax leeches instead of tax payers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Yep, how many of our bridges alone are in terrible shape, that's not even talking about the roads and other infrastructure projects that needs to be addressed, just bridges.  I'm sure some powerful people will get it earmarked for their pet projects or it'll get wasted on tax leeches instead of tax payers.
View Quote

I wish I could disagree with this statement, but I can't. The tax leaches and "More for education" crowd will syphon it into their budgets or programs, when there is so much more road and bridge improvement that can be done. SCDOT Has their planned programs here:
SCDOT Projects status list

With that money SCDOT could accelerate old bridge rehab or replacement. and road widening and rehab on I-26 and I-95  There are also some roadway gaps in the state where new roads are needed such as:

1) Build I-73 from SC22 near Myrtle Beach to an interchange at I-95.
2)A new US21 connector road from US21 at 17A near I95 straight across to US21 from Beaufort near where it currently joins US17 so Beaufort area has a direct connection to I-95 north without going through Yamassee.
3) A direct high speed parkway between I-77 and US521 just north of the Catawba River.
4) A combo new and existing upgraded road link between I 85 at/near Cowpens to SC 211 at Hwy 150 and upgrading SC 211 to a freight capable road all the way to York, via SC49 and new and existing upgraded roads all the way to I-77 just south of Rock Hill, forming a northern east west link in SC between I85 and I77.
5) A short connector road from US278 at I-95/US17 west to connect with US321 near Hardeeville.
6) A relief connector from I 20 to I 26 in southern Lexington county by upgrading US 178 to near Pelion and a new road around Pelion and due east to I-26 somewhere near Sandy Run. or connect Hwy 178 to SC hwy 6 bypassing pelion and Swansea and upgrading SC6 all the way to I26.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
"1) Build I-73 from SC22 near Myrtle Beach to an interchange at I-95."

No thank you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope.

They will do  something stupid with it.
Inman, they have been doing a rotary at Clark Rd and Sugar Ridge road since LAST July. 1.3 million. Still not done.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#14]
A couple "marketing professionals" can make that disappear like the Richland County penny tax.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
This little gem……

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The SC politicians are talking about giving money back to the taxpayers.  This is sure going to be interesting...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
As much as I'd like a refund, it's stupid and sounds more like vote buying.  At this point they've already got the money in hand, and we have some of the worst roads in the country and some of the bridges in the worst conditions.  Before he retired, my father was one of the ones doing the geotechnical part of the bridge assessments- it was scary back then and he's been retired for a while now and little work has been done on them yet SC has attracted more industry and the traffic associated with it.  SMH
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
They found all that money. This is the first year ive owed state taxes to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
As much as I'd like a refund, it's stupid and sounds more like vote buying.  At this point they've already got the money in hand, and we have some of the worst roads in the country and some of the bridges in the worst conditions.  Before he retired, my father was one of the ones doing the geotechnical part of the bridge assessments- it was scary back then and he's been retired for a while now and little work has been done on them yet SC has attracted more industry and the traffic associated with it.  SMH
View Quote

Part of the problem is that there are only so many qualified bridge work contractors in the state or region and many of them have full plates with currently authorized bridge projects by SCDOT and other states.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:10:48 AM EDT
[#20]
1.8 Billion dollars divided by the 2022 population works out to about $342 per resident. That calculation includes children.

Link Posted: Yesterday 3:22:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#21]
Cant Biben claim it like Spain?
Biden: thats mine!
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dsquared_5:
"1) Build I-73 from SC22 near Myrtle Beach to an interchange at I-95."

No thank you.
View Quote

Haven't they already purchased the R/W for this? Recall houses being moved and stakes up in fields between I-95, HWY 38 interchange to Latta  area.
Link Posted: Today 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Greybeard:

Haven't they already purchased the R/W for this? Recall houses being moved and stakes up in fields between I-95, HWY 38 interchange to Latta  area.
View Quote

Each county had to pay for it. Our current county admin has shot it down in Horry. Maybe it has something to do with the previous county chair being involved with a company buying up land where they new it was being built. However, the main and public reason has to do with the municipalities not wanting to share taxes.
Link Posted: Today 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By eolian:
Cant Biden claim it like Spain?
Biden: that's mine!
View Quote

SHHHHH!!!!!!!! He'll hear you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top