Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2020 2:54:26 PM EDT
A month or two ago there was a thread in GD and a couple of locals (Treasure Valley) where talking about doing some rucks in 2020.

I can am idiot and can remember who.  

Anyone around Boise have any fitness plans for 2020?

I am thinking of trying rucking and need to FINALLY get off my rear end and riding the Wieser River trail.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]

I've been doing a few solo trips every year in the mountains north of Mountain Home. I gain weight and my cardio goes to shit over the winter because of my job, so I start off with just doing a 5 miler or so and increase the distance as the summer gets longer.
My wife will drop me off somewhere and I walk to my vehicle, that way I don't have to backtrack or get picked up again. By mid-summer I do overnighters. I did a 19 mile over night in September. I haven't done shit since.
I work in the oilfield and winter is my busy season. It will be April until I get back home.

Here's some pics from my September trip. I walked from one of the Anderson Ranch access roads up to Danskin lookout and down the other side to where my truck was parked.

Final leg up to the lookout, about 6800' if I remember correctly:
Attachment Attached File

My rucking gear. A big difference from the light-weight stuff I use for backpacking/fishing trips.

Attachment Attached File

I set up camp at about the halfway point and shot 2 grouse for supper.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Idaho Bonzai tree...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I also do 3 to 5 milers early in the spring that take all day on flat ground. I pack food/water and some survival gear (just in case) and walk the sage brush flats just exploring and shooting ground squirrels, jack rabbits and rock chucks.
I've found some really cool stuff laying out there. I'm only doing about 15lbs total on these trips. food, water, gear, ammo, etc.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone is welcome to come along. I'll be starting in a couple of months. I always thought it would be easier if there was somebody else, so we could spread out vehicles. My wife always worries when I'm out by myself too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, I remember your pics from one of the other threads.

ETA: Might be handy to hear your recommendations for equipment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested, whenever you guys head up north..
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice, I remember your pics from one of the other threads.

ETA: Might be handy to hear your recommendations for equipment.
View Quote
I'm not as hard core as the Virginia guys, I leave my plate carriers at home.

I use Eberlestock packs for rucking and 5.11 for day trips. They're both pretty robust and can handle being thrown around. I can abuse these packs a lot more than my lightweight backpacking stuff.

Eberlestock had their Fac Track packs on sale for $100 in their Boise store due to a blemish in the multicam back in the summer. It might be worth the trip just to try on some stuff. Or you could get some old Mil-Surp packs for fairly cheap.
I'm no expert, but I'll try and help with any other questions you might have.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
What part? I'll be up to Priest Lake sometime this summer to sell some of my Uncle's land.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not as hard core as the Virginia guys, I leave my plate carriers at home.

I use Eberlestock packs for rucking and 5.11 for day trips. They're both pretty robust and can handle being thrown around. I can abuse these packs a lot more than my lightweight backpacking stuff.

Eberlestock had their Fac Track packs on sale for $100 in their Boise store due to a blemish in the multicam back in the summer. It might be worth the trip just to try on some stuff. Or you could get some old Mil-Surp packs for fairly cheap.
I'm no expert, but I'll try and help with any other questions you might have.
View Quote
LOL, I wouldn't think we would need plate carriers most of the time around here.

I forgot about Eberlestock, may check them out.  I have a few packs that will work.  I still need to find a smallish chest pouch carrying while mountain biking or fishing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I recommend HPG Kit Bag if you want something concealed. There's cheaper options if you don't care about concealment.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm down to do some backpacking with you guys. I've primarily done the Sawtooths region the last 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in Boise, but on shift work and going to nights until about May. I am down to hike, just has to work with the schedule.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What part? I'll be up to Priest Lake sometime this summer to sell some of my Uncle's land.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CDA area. How much land you selling?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:03:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Everyone is welcome to come along. I'll be starting in a couple of months. I always thought it would be easier if there was somebody else, so we could spread out vehicles. My wife always worries when I'm out by myself too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196752/plate_jpg-1218050.JPG
View Quote
That sounds like a lot of fun, hopefully I'll be in shape to do something like that this year.. guess I'd need some gear as well
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
About 17 acres. House, barn and a few outbuildings. He’s asking way too much.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I did 3.5 miles today on the ND/MT border in the Badlands. It was -7 when I left the truck but I only have a few days off so I had to take advantage of the free time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did 3.5 miles today on the ND/MT border in the Badlands. It was -7 when I left the truck but I only have a few days off so I had to take advantage of the free time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That seems a bit far from home.. sounds like it went well enough, though.

Quoted:
Quoted:

About 17 acres. House, barn and a few outbuildings. He’s asking way too much.
Thanks for responding. We're looking mostly in the Silver Valley, and for a bit more space, but we're open to most of northern ID, and I appreciate knowing what's out there.

Your Uncle might not be asking too much more than what the market may bear, though - things are getting ridiculous in CDA, anyway

ETA: I'm still down for getting some miles in, either way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's some pics from the hike I did a few days ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Bad ass indeed - is that knife a Tops?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bad ass indeed - is that knife a Tops?
View Quote
Yes. It's the Tops C.U.T 4.0.  I've been using it for about a year, I highly recommend it.

I have the rest of the day off, I'm considering taking another walk, but it's -51 out with the wind chill….. Might just be a Netflix day...
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Yesterday’s ruck with the family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#23]
@BTccw

Nice.. where at? Groomed trails?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@BTccw

View Quote
Maybe north of Idaho city off of 21 or over by Bogus Basin?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@BTccw

View Quote
If you are on FB there is a "Hiking Idaho" group that seems to get out quite a bit.

Not sure if I would ask where I could go kill and grill a bunny though.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@BTccw

View Quote
This was a forest service road north of Spirit Lake where we parked. When we bailed north off the road snow was waist deep and it took the better part of two hours for us to get our meager fire going. It took all our skill and resources to make it happen....tough conditions.  No small game to shoot for a meal so it was fig bars and GORP for us.

You’ve set the bar pretty high!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#27]
American Battle Buddies Challenge in MT late this spring.

Sounds fun.

ETA:
Classifications - Battle Buddies thread
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm around Boise. I am currently on nights but can make mid day or mornings work if we can get out to hike on the front half of the week. I don't think I would be able to make the challenge in June, but would like to get out and be able to get someone into the 3rd class at least by that time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds fun.

ETA:
View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This was a forest service road north of Spirit Lake where we parked. When we bailed north off the road snow was waist deep and it took the better part of two hours for us to get our meager fire going. It took all our skill and resources to make it happen....tough conditions.  No small game to shoot for a meal so it was fig bars and GORP for us.

View Quote
Did you take tinder with you or just try to use natural stuff for the fire? I always have tinder with me but I try to use what I find in the area. It's good practice I think.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sounds fun.

ETA:
View Quote
I'm down to start the classification process in March when I get home if anyone wants to join or needs a partner.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Did you take tinder with you or just try to use natural stuff for the fire? I always have tinder with me but I try to use what I find in the area. It's good practice I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have every fire making tool known to man with us-flint, steel, magnesium shavings, matches, lighter, candles, various types of fire starters, etc. Not being able to start a fire is in these conditions is not an option and even with all that stuff it’s tough sometimes. Today it was raining and foggy. We snowshoed in for an hour and had lunch.  Prep work is not time wasted. Dry tree roots were the key to success today along with Two matches and two different types of fire starters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#33]
One of my goals this year is to start networking more with like minded individuals. If there is one thing about this beautiful state, we take our firearm rights for granted and it's going to take us by shock one day. I think some rucking would be an awesome way for us to start getting together and building some comradery!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm in/around CDA, always up for some activity.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, need to get off my ass and start doing something.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One of my goals this year is to start networking more with like minded individuals. If there is one thing about this beautiful state, we take our firearm rights for granted and it's going to take us by shock one day. I think some rucking would be an awesome way for us to start getting together and building some comradery!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m going to set up a North Idaho battle buddy ruck group here soon. I’m just waiting on my schedule for the year, should be this week.

@Bushamster21
@-Omega-1
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I am In  CDA  near Canfield Mt.  Would like to meet up for hikes, Atv  rides, Shooting
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#38]
@BTccw

Looks like you guys are having fun. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I’m going to set up a North Idaho battle buddy ruck group here soon. I’m just waiting on my schedule for the year, should be this week.

@Bushamster21 @Bourbonator @-Omega-1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Bushamster21 @Bourbonator @-Omega-1
Thanks for taking the initiative. I think the @s need to be on individual lines, I didn't get a notification.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks for taking the initiative. I think the @s need to be on individual lines, I didn't get a notification.
View Quote
Fixed hopefully

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Fixed hopefully

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed hopefully

Thanks
And if not, I'll just PM them when things get moving.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I am happy to add folk's location in the OP.  Not sure what would be the arfapproved method of organizing a get together.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am happy to add folk's location in the OP.  Not sure what would be the arfapproved method of organizing a get together.
View Quote
It might start with a few PMs, some suggested dates, etc..
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
From reading threads from guys in other states, it more of a: " I'll be at this place at this time if anyone wants to join". But, they are more populated areas of the country. We might need more structure since there isn't as many of us... Not to mention the distance between north and south Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#45]
If anyone wants to join me, I will be doing a 6 mile loop that is on fairly level ground and is a mix of sidewalk and gravel.

I will be starting at 630AM Saturday Feb 8. It starts at the Micron parking lot and goes east on Columbia Rd and then loops back once you hit the sharp turn at the end. Loop is just over 6 miles to where you parked in the lot.

Micron is NOT firearms friendly. I brought armor on my last trip but wore it under my light jacket and kept my helmet in my bag until on the road. Being a Saturday morning there isn't going to be much traffic but still better to stay low profile. If others want to join and avoid the Micron problem, we can make a reverse of the loop and start a little further back to make up for not going through the parking lot.

It is extremely dark on that patch of road and because there is vehicle traffic, I recommend a light on front and rear of some sort. I probably won't be bringing my PVS14 this time and will just have a headlamp on with a chemlight on the bag. There is a very sufficient gravel/dirt shoulder for the areas without a sidewalk but best to avoid being a streak on the road.

Weather has been pretty cold this past week, so plan accordingly and have layers you can adjust as necessary. 2 or so weeks ago it was easily light jacket weather and mechanics gloves with the pack and armor, but it has definitely gotten colder. Any questions or takers send me a message. I know its late notice but it looks like we might have a few dry hours that morning.
Images below outline parking and route and are easily found on google maps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Another cool loop that those of us in the treasure valley can do, is from Bonneville point, we can follow the Oregon trail route through BLM land until we hit 3 miles and make our way back or there is a good 6 mile loop that drops towards lucky peak and back. I have OnX which shows it to be fairly open. City of Boise Parks and Rec owns Bonneville point, so firearms would likely be a no go on that bit of property but easily skirted and there is lots of BLM space that direction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Dang. Totally missed this. Subscribed to this thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Anyone have any plans to do any hiking the beginning of the coming week weather permitting?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone have any plans to do any hiking the beginning of the coming week weather permitting?
View Quote
I'm down for whatever!
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I am down for anything. The front half of the week my schedule is open, but Wednesday-Saturday it would have to be between work which means mornings work best. Tuesday this week so far looks to have better weather than Monday or Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm interested, Boise area.

Are y'alls winters always this warm?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top