Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2021 1:44:21 AM EDT
As a native Washingtonian I'm kind of chuckling at the thought -but I'm also not. We always enjoyed a trip to the coast. I'm widowed and retired now, so it's just me. Would be easier to drive to Centralia to check on mom. Daughter and husband are talking about moving to Vancouver Island, so could take the ferry from PA to visit. Selling my current house would buy something there and leave a good chunk of change in my pocket.

So I need the dirt. How much flooding in town, how bad are the tweakers, that sort of thing. Should I spend more to buy in Hoquiam?
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever been there? It's a depressing shithole, like all coastal towns whose economies have disappeared.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you ever been there? It's a depressing shithole, like all coastal towns whose economies have disappeared.
View Quote

Yes I've been there, and I'm fully aware that there isn't much left on the coast. However, I'm retired, and I'm sick of living in metro Seattle. Don't want to live on the dry side, and I'm unwilling to leave the state due to family reasons and overall stubbornness.

I've been looking at Skagit and Lewis counties, but Aberdeen could be the most cost effective option. It's like Sedro Woolley with waterfront.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked in Kitsap?  Close enough to everything but pretty much no traffic and quiet most of the time.

If you need even more remote, try Jefferson County.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I was really surprised the last time I drove through Aberdeen (May of this year). For the last four years or so every time I drove through it looked abandoned and all the buildings were boarded up and empty. But last time was completely different. Tons of people and cars and everything was open and looked significantly better.

I'm sure it's still pretty shitty, but it seems improved recently.
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I moved away from there in 1996 when I was 12.  It was depressing traveling back there over the years to see family and seeing what a shithole Aberdeen became.  There are still some good people there, but I don't think I could ever move back there.

The weather really sucks there.  If you think it rains a lot in Seattle (40in/ yr), Aberdeen gets like double the rain (83in/yr).

Aberdeen starts at 4:10
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I would not go any farther out that way than Montesano or Elma.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
This time of year the weather out West can be kind of nice. Tuesday, it was 57 degrees and sunny in the hills between the Johns and Elk river, by the time I got to Rochester it was 87.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top