Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2020 3:55:55 AM EDT
Really anywhere up to an hr away would work.

Not sure how well financing would go for us given the job change(same field as I'm currently in which may help) but to start we are looking for either a dirt cheap house or something we can rent that would let us bring in 3 large dogs and 2 cats...

A quick look on Zillow showed some very nice looking shitholes for around 50k but no clue what the renting situation is in that area.

In the long run we are looking to get on 20-40 acres but that may be out of reach from what I'm seeing.  Either that or we're going to build on a 10 acre parcel our family owns in the area but for now we just need something to keep the heat in and the rain out for a year or so.

Any advice or hot leads on a rental?  Or referral for a bank that keeps their financing in house?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Being a pretty small town you may be SOL. Contact one of the reality companies in the area. Not much for close by towns for commuting maybe Tomah??
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a pretty small town you may be SOL. Contact one of the reality companies in the area. Not much for close by towns for commuting maybe Tomah??
View Quote

We aren't necessarily looking to move to BRF, i just need to be within an hrs drive or so.

I saw some cheap houses for sale in Tomah and Neilsville.  Neilsville id stretching it but Tomah isn't a bad commute.

I'm not seeing anything for rent online but I'm not sure the best places to look when it comes to renting.  I sent a coue emails out to realtors and haven't heard back yet...which is surprising, usually you can't even whisper the word move without them pounding at your door.

I'll be making some calls tomorrow to see what I can find.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Winneshiek Circle is a nice neighborhood.

Jackson County Bank keeps their financing in house.

CO-Op Credit union is in town too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, finding a bank willing to work with us that can set their own credit criteria is big for us right now.  I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I would live in Eau Claire if I had a choice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing in Winneshiek Circle that won't get stolen is a red hot stove.
Gary
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Gary
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gary
I dunno what you're talking about.  It's a fine area.

I see you are also familiar with the area.

A shovel would be relatively safe too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Way too big for us.  In the short term we wouldn't mind it but long term we want to be out in the middle of nowehere on land.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Way too big for us.  In the short term we wouldn't mind it but long term we want to be out in the middle of nowehere on land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then look east of BRF if you want solitude.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I dunno what you're talking about.  It's a fine area.

I see you are also familiar with the area.

A shovel would be relatively safe too.
View Quote

I agree. In their culture, a shovel is a pretty useless instrument except for leaning on.
Gary
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Really anywhere up to an hr away would work.

Not sure how well financing would go for us given the job change(same field as I'm currently in which may help) but to start we are looking for either a dirt cheap house or something we can rent that would let us bring in 3 large dogs and 2 cats...

A quick look on Zillow showed some very nice looking shitholes for around 50k but no clue what the renting situation is in that area.

In the long run we are looking to get on 20-40 acres but that may be out of reach from what I'm seeing.  Either that or we're going to build on a 10 acre parcel our family owns in the area but for now we just need something to keep the heat in and the rain out for a year or so.

Any advice or hot leads on a rental?  Or referral for a bank that keeps their financing in house?
View Quote
1st CCU in Tomah is good to work with.
They're all really nice and professional.
The lady I am working with for a refi is Brittany 608-366-2313
There's a decent amount of houses for sale around the Tomah area.
It's 1/2 hour to Black River Falls from Tomah and it's all interstate travel.
Here's some listings: https://www.ghrealtors.com/listing/listingsearch.aspx?clear=1
https://viprealty4u.com/

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Co-Op credit union doesn't hold their mortgages unless they changed since I got mine.

Is Jackson County Bank lending again since the feds put a hold on them?  The business I work for moved all of it's business out of there.

I used to know a few landlords but really don't any more.  I'd just be looking online.  But if you find something let me know and I'll see if I can find anything out specifically for you.  

I've lived in Tomah (outskirts), Humbird (rural), Hatfield (in "town" but it's not really a town) and both inside and outside of BRF.  I like BRF well enough, grew up here.  Would live outside of Tomah again with no complaints, or this side of Neilsville wouldn't bother me either.  But the best part of living where I do now is being rural enough I can't see my neighbors, still in range of 25mb VDSL, 10 minutes from work and only 45 minutes from LaCrosse.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Co-Op credit union doesn't hold their mortgages unless they changed since I got mine.

Is Jackson County Bank lending again since the feds put a hold on them?  The business I work for moved all of it's business out of there.

I used to know a few landlords but really don't any more.  I'd just be looking online.  But if you find something let me know and I'll see if I can find anything out specifically for you.  

I've lived in Tomah (outskirts), Humbird (rural), Hatfield (in "town" but it's not really a town) and both inside and outside of BRF.  I like BRF well enough, grew up here.  Would live outside of Tomah again with no complaints, or this side of Neilsville wouldn't bother me either.  But the best part of living where I do now is being rural enough I can't see my neighbors, still in range of 25mb VDSL, 10 minutes from work and only 45 minutes from LaCrosse.
View Quote

Jcb has my mortgage...I didn't know the feds were in town.  Care to elaborate??

I was going to @ you earlier, but didn't know if you were ok with your location getting called out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Jcb has my mortgage...I didn't know the feds were in town.  Care to elaborate??

I was going to @ you earlier, but didn't know if you were ok with your location getting called out.
View Quote
I'm no banker but apparently banks have to hold a certain amount of cash deposits in ratio to the debt they loan out and JCB blew past that. They were under a no new debt moratorium for a while but I *think* all that has been resolved. Feds of some type came in and poured over their books for a while but no crimes committed I believe.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd head towards Cataract.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd head towards Cataract.
View Quote
I'm in cataract right now for Christmas with the inlaws.  Other than a shorter drive to the titty club,  why?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm in cataract right now for Christmas with the inlaws.  Other than a shorter drive to the titty club,  why?
View Quote
@Kuraki
I didn't realize there was so many arfcommers around this area.
Is there any decent ranges up in Black River?
I have a small set up at my house but it gets old shooting alone most of the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
there's a sweet spot for real estate that's about half way between Eau Claire and La Crosse. Get too close to either of those and the price goes up.
Melrose wouldn't be too bad of a drive to BRF, straight on 54.
There's lots of nice country between Blair/Taylor and BRF, but no easy commute.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any decent ranges up in Black River?
View Quote

Right beside the prison.  It's east of BRF & south of Highway 54 near an industrial park.

Go to Moe's Hardware for information.  They are right on Main Street in BRF.

It used to be that the guy who owned the Airport Bar was the go to guy for membership but he died a few years ago.  You might still be able to go there & sign up  for a membership & go shoot right away.  I did that a few times.  It was $25/year but I don't know what it is now.

This is the current iteration of the Airport Bar but they must have fixed it up a lot since I was last in there.

Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the range either.  The Black River Falls Gun Club is an entirely different club.

It's north of BRF.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
there's a sweet spot for real estate that's about half way between Eau Claire and La Crosse.
View Quote

Boy, I don't know about that.  I know a guy who has a few acres near Disco & he's paying a shit ton of money in property taxes every year.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I think that club is Shaftbusters

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Right beside the prison.  It's east of BRF & south of Highway 54 near an industrial park.

It used to be that the guy who owned the Airport Bar was the go to guy for membership but he died a few years ago.  You might still be able to go there & sign up  for a membership & go shoot right away.  I did that a few times.  It was $25/year but I don't know what it is now.

This is the current iteration of the Airport Bar but they must have fixed it up a lot since I was last in there.

Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the range either.  The Black River Falls Gun Club is an entirely different club.

It's north of BRF.
View Quote
Thanks for the links!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck.  Hope it helps you out.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the links!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's north of BRF.
Thanks for the links!

I try to stop at Moe’s every time I go through BRF. It’s kinda divey for a gun store, but that what makes it what it is. They generally have the best powder selection of anywhere, & I mean anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I try to stop at Moe's every time I go through BRF. It's kinda divey for a gun store, but that what makes it what it is. They generally have the best powder selection of anywhere, & I mean anywhere.
View Quote
Only if you get there before I do
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#26]
BRF is a decent area. If you drift toward La Crosse at all the property values are ridiculous and you can't touch 40 acres of woods for under $200k. I'm a commercial lender for a bank that has a branch in Tomah. We do sell all of our 30 year mortgages because there's no money in holding 30 year paper. You will most likely find that is the case for all of the area financials. If you want a 15 year mortgage, most places will hold those in-house. 1st CCU or Black River Country Bank are decent and Jackson County Bank is still digging out of the hole. The FDIC put the hammer down on them for poor underwriting, poor liquidity, and loan concentration issues.  

As mentioned above, stop at Moe's in BRF. They do have the best powder supply anywhere. Ranges are mostly small rod and gun clubs. Fort McCoy does have a range but I'm not sure what the qualifications are for the general public.  Fort McCoy Range

Holmen Rod and Gun club is your best bet if you are in to the shooting sports at all (3gun, USPSA, etc.)  HRGC

Good luck in your search!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sand mine has driven some of the prices down. Lack of population, but one downfall is the commute to a real grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:38:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the info.  We actually found a few houses to rent for a decent price to get us in the area(which was a bit of a surprise given the 3 dogs and 2 cats coming with...).  We got approved for around 120k from CCU on my income but we are going to hold off on buying until my wife gets a job up there so we can get a better idea what our budget is and get approved for enough to get what we really want.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Look along the East Fork of the Black River area.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top