Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2022 12:25:57 PM EDT
Well I guess my hometown forum will be shifting from Colorado to Minnesota at some point this year. I've just accepted a new opportunity that will be based in Alexandria.

Any tips or general info I should know? I've been commuting so far and will be in a temporary apartment until we can find a house and relocate later this year. Hoping to have the relocation complete before winter hits again. I've been advised to find a "very" local realtor who knows the rumor mill as the good opportunities often never get listed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I temporarily moved there when I was going back to school a few years ago. It is a decent little town. Most of the big stores and chains are clustered together on the south end near I94. There are a lot of smaller businesses and restaurants in the downtown area near the middle. There is a small town nearby called Osakis that also seems decent, and is a fairly short drive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If you like hunting and fishing, doesnt get much better locale than Alex.  Tons of lakes, plentiful and big whitetail, great waterfowl hunting.  Dont know the realestate market, but lake property is always hot.  Welcome to MN.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Lived there for 2 years while attending the tech school.

Lots of hunting and fishing around.
Most shopping is down by the freeway.

Drive down to St Cloud if you need big city stuff.

Get a boat and enjoy the chain of lakes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a bad town. I've lived here since late 2004. Grew up in St.Cloud.

It is a college town so when school is in session it can be busy.

Don't know what the market is now but not long ago but I knew people who's house sold less than 24 hours of being listed.(stars and planets could have lined up for them).

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The mountains in western MN are much, much smaller then CO. So don't expect any world class skiing. Otherwise, pretty good area for outdoor rec year round.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Runestone City...
Alex is well located....
Fly out of Fargo
Fly out of St. Cloud
or go to the cities.
Healthcare has really expanded
Four seasons well represented.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm wrapping up my third week there living out of a hotel. Signed a furnished apartment lease this week that I'll get to transition into at the beginning of March and we will start house hunting soon after. Flying back and forth to Denver each week until we find a house.

We are hiring (or attempting to hire) like crazy. Looking for mechanical and electrical assemblers, engineers, machinist and fabrication team members. Will hopefully have some luck with the upcoming trade school graduations. Send me a message if you know if anyone in the area that's looking though!
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We are hiring (or attempting to hire) like crazy. Looking for mechanical and electrical assemblers, engineers, machinist and fabrication team members. Will hopefully have some luck with the upcoming trade school graduations. Send me a message if you know if anyone in the area that's looking though!
View Quote
The Machine Tool Technology program at the local tech school is a very good program. I graduated from that program a few years ago. I know of one guy that is still local, but I haven't stayed in touch, and don't know if he is looking for a job. I can ask though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have lived in Alexandria since 2005, and my parents had a lake cabin south of town from 1981 until 2019.  If you need any specific info on the area give me a shout on IM or email.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have lived in Alexandria since 2005, and my parents had a lake cabin south of town from 1981 until 2019.  If you need any specific info on the area give me a shout on IM or email.
View Quote

Thanks, I appreciate it. Starting to get acclimated a bit, and may be taking the wife up this coming weekend so she can explore. Until then I spend most of my nights sitting at the Pike and Pint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top