Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 11:22:24 PM EDT
Where are guys going locally in the northwest suburbs to skirt shipping and hazmat charges, for good prices?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help with buying local as I buy in bulk online which ends up being cheaper
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Where from?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Powder Valley for primers and powder. When I place an order it’s substantial so that I can dollar cost average the hazmat. Powder valley will do specials where they eat the hazmat but you pay shipping.  Don’t know what they have but  imagine they don’t have too much in stock right now.

Rifle bullets I usually bought through MidwayUSA when on sale.  Again many many K’s at a single order. I’ve bought pistol bullets through RMR, Xtreme, Montana gold, midway.  I just buy from the cheapest place at the time.  

I usually buy enough stuff to last several years worth of shooting.

Prior to Corona you only saved $50/k when reloading 9mm (Brass cased ammo). It might have cost the same when shooting Steel case vs reloaded.  My 9mm loading set up costs over $1000. Got to reload a lot to break even. I’d say not worth it for 9mm once things get back to normal.

I cast 45 and 9 bullets. My 45 loads cost less than $0.09 in material but it takes time. If I take my time into account I should just buy ammo but I treat it like another hobby.  If you have a job where you can work overtime do the OT and buy factory ammo.   If you are weird and like thinkering then reload.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I totally feel you, with reloading being a hobby in and of itself. I guess I’m weird though, lol. I did check out Powder Valley and they seem decent, but yeah, just about everything is sold out. With the pandemic, as you know, many things are sold out. I’m really just trying to avoid shopping around at multiple places.

My work up right now is looking to be about ¢0.12 per 115gr FMJ. I’d say that isn’t too shabby. However that’s including grabbing powder in a 5# jug from American Reloading. Ever hear of MP-205? I guess it’s new overrun powder from the major manufacturers. Very lucrative price with the discount added in at $101, no ship / no hazmat. I guess it’s equivalent to Alliant BE-72. I can’t find anything on either.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of those powders. Most folks stick with a powder that works for them. I got a 8lb jug of True blue that supposedly is the bee’s knee. Prior to that I used W231 a good versatile powder for many calibers. I got lot of shotgun powder that I’m going to use through 45. These are more target level loads,  not ideal for replicating factory velocity.   Good luck and wear eye pro.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Midsouth and Powder Valley are my typical places to buy from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you guys order primers / powder if we prepay and don't mind waiting if we are patient?  

PS....Do you require masks if we come in these days?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We carry some reloading equipment at our shop in lake Barrington
View Quote

What’s do you carry?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top