Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2023 11:36:15 AM EDT
So I am a non-resident in MD stationed with the mil.

The verbiage on the MSP site clearly says registration is not necessary if you do not intent to become a resident. Similar to vehicle registration (MD residents must register in MD, mil is allowed to be registered at their home of record if not intending to become a MD resident.)

The MSP rep I spoke with confirmed that registration was not necessary, but encouraged the voluntary registration to avoid confusion with MD cops (not her words) over the next year.

Putting aside my personal views of registration and the constitutional slippery slope, are there any reasons NOT to register them? It would be nice to go to the range without worrying about getting pulled over by a cop who isn’t familiar with the nuances of resident/non-resident registration- unfortunately I really can’t afford “misunderstandings” with my job.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for not catching this sooner.

I would suggest NOT registering anything if you do not plan to be a permanent resident. You are within the law not to do so and to register anything, in my opinion, adds unnecessary documentation and potential problems.

If you carry your handgun(s) legally (not loaded, in an enclosed case/holster, on your way to or from one of the few exceptions listed in the law (such as going to the range)), it is very unlikely your firearms will even get looked at.

If they do look at them, it will be in the context of verifying they are unloaded, and I have also heard of people having the serial numbers run to check for being stolen. Since registration is not mandatory and only a involuntary function of buying a handgun in this state for most of us, many of us with old guns have handguns that are not registered and don't need to be, not being registered isn't something the police will be concerned with.

In 50 years of riding around this wretched state with firearms in various contexts and even being stopped for traffic infractions from time to time, I have never had my firearms inspected, nor have I had anything inspected at any range. When asked if I had any drugs or weapons in the vehicle (standard question), I answered 'no drugs, but unloaded rifle/shotgun/handgun in cases in the back.' and that was always enough.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll echo what was answered above, i also came here for Mil duty at FT. Meade in 1985. was a (CTM) crypy Tech, retired in 96 and decided to stay. So I did finally get my Md DL and have purchased some sporting firearms while a MD resident. Never been stopped much and never while heading to the range or bringing a new shooting machine home from the GS. Just to be totally safe, I always carry my range bag/ammo/mags in a locked area (truck bed) and put the handguns and rifles, all cased in the rear of the cab. I don't expect a problem.  And also obtained an non res Utah carry permit not good for MD, but the fact that you do have one can be a plus in some situations. And also Note that Maryland is now granting carry licenses.  Military folks do have a few advantages with purchases, you should look them up.

Duane Cody Ret Navy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not required so I wouldn’t register anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top