Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2021 3:22:12 PM EDT
Does anyone know how this will all work?

I know we're due for both. I know we passed a fair redistricting law the dems were against when they were in charge.

Does winning the HoD and having a +2 help us?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how this will all work?

I know we're due for both. I know we passed a fair redistricting law the dems were against when they were in charge.

Does winning the HoD and having a +2 help us?
View Quote

As it stands now, redistricting will be in the hands of the Va Supreme court, as the "bipartisan" commission could not come to an agreement.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As it stands now, redistricting will be in the hands of the Va Supreme court, as the "bipartisan" commission could not come to an agreement.
View Quote

God forbid they do their fucking job!

I don't get it though. Why not just lump a few counties together. Like region 2000 here. Campbell, bedford, Lynchburg, Amherst, Appomattox.

Wish I could pass the buck where I work.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a lot of reading.

It looks like the Va Supremes lean pretty solid R.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Go and look at some of the proposals put forth.  there were some decent proposals put forth that came from the conservative side of the group but the liberal side wouldn't agree to any of them because it marginalized those of color in the NN area by creating compact areas.  They don't like that because it would cause them to lose the power that is currently divvied up across several districts between richmond and NN.  

Some of the congressional district proposals were out there though.  They had one stretching out along 64 from Henrico out to Charlottesville (including the city) that fingered up to Culpeper.  Guess whose district that was and why it was set up that way?  Yeah not compact at all.  Another one had a district that ran down the valley from the WV border all the way down to Wytheville.

https://www.virginiaredistricting.org/legdistricting/virginia/comment_links
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Some of the congressional district proposals were out there though.  They had one stretching out along 64 from Henrico out to Charlottesville (including the city) that fingered up to Culpeper.

Trying to get rid of Freitas no doubt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some of the congressional district proposals were out there though.  They had one stretching out along 64 from Henrico out to Charlottesville (including the city) that fingered up to Culpeper.

Trying to get rid of Freitas no doubt.
View Quote

No it was congressional not HOD.  It was to cement Spamberger forever.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe that too. You should see the 3rd, it’s so gerrymandered that Bobby Scott doesn’t even need to campaign.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go and look at some of the proposals put forth.  there were some decent proposals put forth that came from the conservative side of the group but the liberal side wouldn't agree to any of them because it marginalized those of color in the NN area by creating compact areas.  They don't like that because it would cause them to lose the power that is currently divvied up across several districts between richmond and NN.  

Some of the congressional district proposals were out there though.  They had one stretching out along 64 from Henrico out to Charlottesville (including the city) that fingered up to Culpeper.  Guess whose district that was and why it was set up that way?  Yeah not compact at all.  Another one had a district that ran down the valley from the WV border all the way down to Wytheville.

https://www.virginiaredistricting.org/legdistricting/virginia/comment_links
View Quote

The left came up with the perfect set of arguments to always "win" redistricting complaints by claiming racism.

If you spread a district out to include broader areas, you are "diluting" the black vote. If you have a tight, compact area, you are limiting the "black" representation to fewer congressmen.

They've set it up so they can argue one or the other no matter what, and always be able to claim racism in districting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The left came up with the perfect set of arguments to always "win" redistricting complaints by claiming racism.

If you spread a district out to include broader areas, you are "diluting" the black vote. If you have a tight, compact area, you are limiting the "black" representation to fewer congressmen.

They've set it up so they can argue one or the other no matter what, and always be able to claim racism in districting.
View Quote

That sounds like something the black face of white supremacy would say...
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the sad fact is they win almost every time with that argument and why ANY redistricting plan will be facing years of lawsuits by the likes of that douche bag Eric Holder.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at NC LOL. They RD'd them selves into a fuckigng supermajority
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nick seems to think that Spamberger is going to be screwed by the redistricting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nick seems to think that Spamberger is going to be screwed by the redistricting.
View Quote

If the supreme court does there is the distinct possibility but the liberal side of that commission and their plans were working hard on cementing her into power.

With a mandate to create districts that are compact with like voters it is hard to justify including those exurbs in Henrico and Chesterfield with the rest of the rural district of the 7th.  What do I have in common with the soccer moms in Chesterfield out here in rural Louisa? Not a damned thing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder what his plans for the future are.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the supreme court does there is the distinct possibility but the liberal side of that commission and their plans were working hard on cementing her into power.

With a mandate to create districts that are compact with like voters it is hard to justify including those exurbs in Henrico and Chesterfield with the rest of the rural district of the 7th.  What do I have in common with the soccer moms in Chesterfield out here in rural Louisa? Not a damned thing.
View Quote

Agreed. I lived in Nottoway for years, and was in VA-4. Then, out of nowhere, I was suddenly in VA-7 along with Chesterfield county. Definitely didn't have much in common with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top