Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 11:41:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blake-b]
I want a welding table similar to the one below. Honestly, it will spend most of its life being used to hold things such as car parts while I'm working on something but occasionally, I do need to weld something.

I have found several on FB marketplace but they are 2-3 hours away and would rather pay someone local and not have to drive as far to get it.

I have a welder but I am not very good at it and don't feel like making my own table because mine won't be as pretty as that one.

Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If you decide you want help building one, me and another guy from your area can help.

Will it be as pretty? Maybe not. But it will work. Lol.

Recent welding projects from scrap metal, playing around last weekend (radio stuff)

Attachment Attached File

Paint makes it look better :-)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
@Jkees
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know anyone in KCMO but I will suggest using leveling casters or just levelers without casters.  A good table is very rigid and will rock with even a slight difference in leg length. Normal casters are imprecise enough to cause that difference.  I know this because my table rocks

Shims between the casters and table leg work too.

Also, that table is probably 800 lbs.  Make sure you can move it, or get the delivery built into the cost.  My 30x40 table with 1/2" top is still over 200 lbs and moving something bigger would be a nightmare.

I do recommend making your own. I learned a lot from making mine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
@Jkees
View Quote

@Shootindave
Union is having a strike vote Saturday, dont want to sign myself up for anything until then. But if we keep working as usual I would enjoy a project. Assuming I'm making it at your place and not my apartment living room of course .
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#6]
where are you out of ?

if you want to build one ,, I have a shop can you move it
depends on the table the weight can get up there
if you dont need a large table , then get a smaller table
that can meet most of your needs .  3 # things you should
add , casters, a vise , and a 2 inch angle on one end .

TS2

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
If you decide you want help building one, me and another guy from your area can help.

Will it be as pretty? Maybe not. But it will work. Lol.

Recent welding projects from scrap metal, playing around last weekend (radio stuff)

View Quote

I don't mind doing it myself.  I am feeling lazy about sourcing the materials.  I have a Hobart 210MVP MIG and a Miller Diversion 180 TIG.  I'd be using the MIG for this.  I am not a good TIG welder.  Making one with a TIG would certainly give me enough practice but take longer than MIG.

Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:
I don't know anyone in KCMO but I will suggest using leveling casters or just levelers without casters.  A good table is very rigid and will rock with even a slight difference in leg length. Normal casters are imprecise enough to cause that difference.  I know this because my table rocks

Shims between the casters and table leg work too.

Also, that table is probably 800 lbs.  Make sure you can move it, or get the delivery built into the cost.  My 30x40 table with 1/2" top is still over 200 lbs and moving something bigger would be a nightmare.

I do recommend making your own. I learned a lot from making mine.
View Quote

I don't need one quite as heavy duty as the pic. I am thinking 1/2" top, 2x2 legs or angle iron legs.  Maybe a shelf below.

Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
where are you out of ?

if you want to build one ,, I have a shop can you move it
depends on the table the weight can get up there
if you dont need a large table , then get a smaller table
that can meet most of your needs .  3 # things you should
add , casters, a vise , and a 2 inch angle on one end .

TS2

View Quote

I am north of Richmond.  I have a car trailer I can haul things with but loading/unloading it might be a pain.  A must have is casters (possibly the leveling type) because I want to roll it around to where I need it.  I have a vise mounted on an inline fabrication mount. I could put the adapter on the table or rig up a trailer hitch or something else but a vise is definitely on the list.  I also line the angle on the end. That wasn't even on my radar.

Its main use will be to hold things I am working on or preparing to work on. For instance, I am getting ready to do a cam swap in a C6 Corvette. Being able to set everything I take off and everything I plan to install in one place is beneficial to me.  It will also easily wipe off.  There have been times I have needed to weld something and had to use a small wooden table.  I'd rather have an actual steel table when that times arrives again.  I could get a stainless food prep table but for a little more money, I could get something much more heavy duty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#8]
tell me how much you want to spend ??

it may be cheaper to buy one off of Craigs or market place
by the time you go with 1/2 inch plate , let me know as I
have all material on hand other than coasters .

as far as driving that's part of it , my last road
trip was 600 miles for a lathe , but it was worth
every mile . I'm out of Carroll county north east of
Carrollton .

TS2
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
tell me how much you want to spend ??

it may be cheaper to buy one off of Craigs or market place
by the time you go with 1/2 inch plate , let me know as I
have all material on hand other than coasters .

as far as driving that's part of it , my last road
trip was 600 miles for a lathe , but it was worth
every mile . I'm out of Carroll county north east of
Carrollton .

TS2
View Quote

That particular table (72" long x 40" wide x 34" tall) pictured is $1000 and in Wichita.  Every time I see one online (FB), it is far away or already sold. I do not mind driving, but I have to factor in the cost of driving and the cost of the table.  If I can get what I want with less driving involved, that is a no brainer.

I'll send you my number.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, hope you don't mind my hijack....

I'd like to start welding.  I prefer to buy once and cry once.  I know nothing about welding at this point.  Question:  is a 1/2" thick top necessary?  Is it a function of table top size [bigger table top = thicker table top]?  I like the post about having a vise and angle iron as part of the top.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Deuskid:
OP, hope you don't mind my hijack....

I'd like to start welding.  I prefer to buy once and cry once.  I know nothing about welding at this point.  Question:  is a 1/2" thick top necessary?  Is it a function of table top size [bigger table top = thicker table top]?  I like the post about having a vise and angle iron as part of the top.  

Thanks
View Quote

if you are a fabricator or do a lot of welding ,,   1/2 thick is minimum as it will
preety much stay level as you do a lot of torching /pounding / tacking a part to
the table to weld .  then you run a sander on a 4 or 7 inch grinder to remove any left over tacks
to get the top ready for the next job . a 1/4 inch top will not last it will bowl in
and won't be level and go to shit

TS2
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a table I put together for Blake .
it started out as a heavy duty cart in a Fab shop
I bought a Lathe awhile back and they used the cart
for a base , after i was done with it moved on to 2 other
lathes it was taking up room in my shop , I moved it out back
to stack steel on etc .. if I ever needed it I had it .
so i ran idea to Blake on how i would make a table for him
out if it , it sounded good and would meet his needs in a table .
we will see he's picking it up next week . i would say it's in the
7-900 lb. range but with the 8 inch casters it moves with ease .
here's a few pics of before and after .

TS2

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks great. A lot more capable than my little welding cart.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#16]
She aint pretty, but it frees up am SBR lower for another project.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Here's a table I put together for Blake .
View Quote

That looks dang nice.  Did you throw in the plastic bottle of urine?!?!
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

That looks dang nice.  Did you throw in the plastic bottle of urine?!?!
View Quote

Dew the Dew ~~  Man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top