Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2024 3:06:47 PM EDT
Moving out of country in a few months and want to get my stuff in order before leaving. Does anyone here do or recommend anyone in Cole County? If not, it's off to google.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#1]
In Missouri all you have to do is write up what you want and have it notarized.
You can get will forms online and print them out.

This came up back in the Gulf War when some Mo National Guard units were deployed.
Someone told them they had to get lawyers to do wills.  The Army JAG corp told them that was BS, that all they had to do was write it up and have it notarized and they were good to go.

Of course if you have a large estate or complications a lawyer won't hurt, but it won't really be any better than doing it yourself.
A lawyers signature on a will has no more legal force then a notarized document.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I would make a phone call to your bank.  Most banks have a trust and will department.  By having an account they usually give you help with that stuff for free.  Worth a quick call.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I had JC attorney Todd Miller help me with mine.  I do not recommend him.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
In Missouri all you have to do is write up what you want and have it notarized.
You can get will forms online and print them out.

This came up back in the Gulf War when some Mo National Guard units were deployed.
Someone told them they had to get lawyers to do wills.  The Army JAG corp told them that was BS, that all they had to do was write it up and have it notarized and they were good to go.

Of course if you have a large estate or complications a lawyer won't hurt, but it won't really be any better than doing it yourself.
A lawyers signature on a will has no more legal force then a notarized document.
View Quote

Stop giving that advice.  A will with only a notary is not correct.

474.320.  Will form, execution, attestation. — Every will shall be in writing, signed by the testator, or by some person, by his direction, in his presence; and shall be attested by two or more competent witnesses subscribing their names to the will in the presence of the testator.

The notary merely proves that the testator signed the will.  The witnesses are also necessary for the will to be admitted to probate.  The witnesses must be disinterested parties.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TreeFrog169:
I would make a phone call to your bank.  Most banks have a trust and will department.  By having an account they usually give you help with that stuff for free.  Worth a quick call.
View Quote

I'll look into that the next time I'm in town. There will be no property or possessions involved. Just money. Half goes to a wife, if I get married overseas. The other half split 50/50 between my niece and nephew.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:53:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#7]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I used Legal Zoom to have mine written up, and checked by a lawyer, then printed it out and went to my bank to get it notarized.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I used Legal Zoom to have mine written up, and checked by a lawyer, then printed it out and went to my bank to get it notarized.

Another option. Thanks.

Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
I had JC attorney Todd Miller help me with mine.  I do not recommend him.

Thanks for the warning.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#8]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

I'll look into that the next time I'm in town. There will be no property or possessions involved. Just money. Half goes to a wife, if I get married overseas. The other half split 50/50 between my niece and nephew.
View Quote

Sounds like something that could easily be done with a computer program. (Honestly, that's what the lawyer is going to do, except that his software will be something only sold to lawyers.)

Willmaker

Where you moving Stitches?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Sounds like something that could easily be done with a computer program. (Honestly, that's what the lawyer is going to do, except that his software will be something only sold to lawyers.)

Willmaker

Where you moving Stitches?
View Quote

Thailand. This winter kicked my butt. Body can't take cold anymore. Now that I'll be 50 this year, I can apply for a long stay visa.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top