Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2021 9:10:49 PM EDT
Told me I should be getting my receiver in December. Can't wait to tell Spectrum goodbye. Also looking forward to the day I can just load it up on the RV and take it with me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.

I got notice that my wait slipped from mid/late 2021 to mid 2022
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Let us know how you like it.  Living in a semi rural area is great- except for the slow centurylink internet.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats.

I got notice that my wait slipped from mid/late 2021 to mid 2022
View Quote

Same...
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Got the email yesterday and turned it down so maybe it’ll go to one of you guys

St. Augustine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Got another email 2 days ago. Said it is on the way and wanted me to pay the rest of the bill (Put 100 bucks down, they wanted and got the rest yesterday, $488.xx. I guess the extra 88 bucks is taxes or something.)
No exact shipping date yet though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm curious how you like it too.  Worried that signal will go down during bad weather but still gotta be better than the crap I have from CenturyLink.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I am just north of the panhandle and signed up a while back. I also have Centurylink and hope to replace them. It is slow unreliable internet
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Showing a ship date of 30Dec-5Jan... guess I have to wait a bit longer yet. If the picture is accurate I will be getting the square dishy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I guess I'll just keep waiting then. Someday Central Florida will get Elon's attention....
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Showing a ship date of 30Dec-5Jan... guess I have to wait a bit longer yet. If the picture is accurate I will be getting the square dishy.
View Quote

That's awesome! Let me know how it goes and if you need any help getting it installed!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

St. Augustine.
View Quote

When did you originally sign up?  I'm in jax and it's still saying mid 2022 for me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC I signed up early February.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When did you originally sign up?  I'm in jax and it's still saying mid 2022 for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Augustine.

end of March
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I signed up in July.  I'll wait patiently...
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am just north of the panhandle and signed up a while back. I also have Centurylink and hope to replace them. It is slow unreliable internet
View Quote

How slow? Do you have a good verizon signal? We have their 4LTE. 45-50 down, 6-8 up. $40 a month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Dishy just showed up on my door step this morning. Guess I will be climbing on to the roof today or tomorrow....

ETA:
Trying to figure out a few things here,
Is there a limit to how steep a roof can be to use the stock 4 point mount?
Is there a preferred facing (North, South, whatever) for a roof mount?
Basically I have to mount it on my roof, I can use a eastward or westward slanting one. Does it even matter?
My roof is a standard 20 degrees, 4.5" in 12"

Planning to just use the pitch patches and lag bolts to attach it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm interested in how the performance is. I'm on Hughesnet now and it sucks BIG TIME! .5 MBPS download speed. They advertise as "high speed", the FCC defines highspeed as 25 MBPS. They're bringing a highspeed line up my street, so I'm hoping to just ditch the satellite all together soon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Allrighty then, it is installed. I am in Bradenton, just north of Sarasota and my numbers are;
ping  33ms
download  20.81 mbps
upload  27.29 mbps
Something seems off with the dish, it sat there for at least 1/2 an hour doing nothing. I went back up tp look at it and wiggled the cable around and it came to life.

Tested again;
ping  37ms
download  20.31 mbps
upload  34.30 mbps

Upload speed is damn good. Not impressed with download much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Allrighty then, it is installed. I am in Bradenton, just north of Sarasota and my numbers are;
ping  33ms
download  20.81 mbps
upload  27.29 mbps
Something seems off with the dish, it sat there for at least 1/2 an hour doing nothing. I went back up tp look at it and wiggled the cable around and it came to life.

Tested again;
ping  37ms
download  20.31 mbps
upload  34.30 mbps

View Quote
You went from "real" internet to starlink.  

id love to have those numbers
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ping  33ms
download  20.81 mbps
upload  27.29 mbps

Tested again;
ping  37ms
download  20.31 mbps
upload  34.30 mbps

View Quote

Thats 40 times faster than hughesnet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, apparently I don't much about internet access.
The previous numbers were obtained using ookla on my ancient home desktop computer. Using my phone I am getting around over 200mbps download and round 10mbps upload latency around 77ms.
Using the Starlink app on my phone it lists multiple speed tests. Router to internet, phone to internet.
My best guess is the router to internet is damn fast. My Galaxy S8 is pretty fast but my old Win7 desktop is slow. Weakest link is apparently my desktop.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, apparently I don't much about internet access.
The previous numbers were obtained using ookla on my ancient home desktop computer. Using my phone I am getting around over 200mbps download and round 10mbps upload latency around 77ms.
Using the Starlink app on my phone it lists multiple speed tests. Router to internet, phone to internet.
My best guess is the router to internet is damn fast. My Galaxy S8 is pretty fast but my old Win7 desktop is slow. Weakest link is apparently my desktop.
View Quote

I was going to say that 20 download sucked for da Star.  Glad to see the new numbers.  Please, keep us updated.  I'm new to this Star internet thing, but very  curious about it.  Myself, in the Gainesville area.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the update Gary.  How'd it do when the storms passed through?  Any loss of signal?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#24]
It is working great. I attached it to my roof by through bolting with big washers on the inside. Everything held up quite well. Dish didn't budge at all. I guess I will go up there tomorrow and have a close look just in case.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Still undecided they dicked around and i ended up with Tmobile 5g 50 bucks a month unlimited and the towers 1/3 mile away kinda hard to justify starlink now
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Following this. We have a new house under construction and so far it seems like our only option might be crappy internet from the town.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still undecided they dicked around and i ended up with Tmobile 5g 50 bucks a month unlimited and the towers 1/3 mile away kinda hard to justify starlink now
View Quote

YOu do realize that 5g only has a range of 1,000 feet, right? https://www.businessinsider.com/5g-high-speed-internet-cellular-network-issues-switch-2019-4#:~:text=5G%20wavelengths%20have%20a%20range,cell%20towers%20and%20antennas%20everywhere
A mile is 5,280', so a third of that is 1,760'.
This is the issue with 5g. This is why some cities banned it, because they were puting mini towers all over the city, on phone poles and utility boxes everywhere. They needed one on every block and they hum and make noise and keep people awake at night.
The higher the Gs the less range. I got cell service at my house if I stood out front when we had 2g, then they went to 3g and it was a little worse. Now I'm hearing that they're going to a minimum of 4g and I have no service. It's really crazy. They went from a system where most place had a signal to a system where very few places have service.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

YOu do realize that 5g only has a range of 1,000 feet, right? https://www.businessinsider.com/5g-high-speed-internet-cellular-network-issues-switch-2019-4#:~:text=5G%20wavelengths%20have%20a%20range,cell%20towers%20and%20antennas%20everywhere
A mile is 5,280', so a third of that is 1,760'.
This is the issue with 5g. This is why some cities banned it, because they were puting mini towers all over the city, on phone poles and utility boxes everywhere. They needed one on every block and they hum and make noise and keep people awake at night.
The higher the Gs the less range. I got cell service at my house if I stood out front when we had 2g, then they went to 3g and it was a little worse. Now I'm hearing that they're going to a minimum of 4g and I have no service. It's really crazy. They went from a system where most place had a signal to a system where very few places have service.
View Quote

Be that as it may I am getting reliable streaming and internet where our cable at the main home in the most populated county in the United States has crappy Internet and the spinning wheel of death all the time go figure
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top