Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2021 10:13:43 PM EDT
Hey guys, I think it's been a few months since a hike was set up, the Mott's Reservoir hike being the last one I can think of. I've been busy with life and work and just haven't had the drive to get out and do much beyond working outside around my house. However, after talking with Ben in one of the "What are your thoughts on APC?" threads, I'd like to try to set up a regular meet up with folks if possible.

Edit: I'll stick the TL:DR here-> I'm fat, fitness is part of APC, and I want to reinvigorate the Rappahannock chapter. I'd like to meet up with other fat and not fat Rappahannock battle buddies to get less fat 1-3 times a week, imitation crab and model trains not included.

While I'm out of shape and definitely need to exercise more, I can meet APC standards for ruck marches even packed over the standard. Rucking is good exercise but it gets a little boring and isn't exactly the best thing to do every day. Part of the APC qualifications is also being able to meet minimum standards in one of the military's PT tests which rucking can help with but is not going to prepare you for.

My intent here is to gauge interest in seeing if folks would be interested in meeting one or more times a week to do a group PT session that can be anything from a quick 2 mile run, doing a set of pyramid pushups and/or sit-ups, or even just a ruck of varying distance. If there is a central location that would be good for the majority who would be interested that would be fantastic. I know the ruck we did at Lee-Jackson Bivouac Site has a long stretch of road that is generally free from traffic and has parking at either end depending on what we'd like to do. There is a larger mown grass area around the cannons on the west end and mainly a long stretch of road on the east end. But again, if there is a better place for everyone to meet, I'm all down for it.

Time is also something that we'd need to look at. I'm trying to make it exercising a regular thing for myself and would try to be at everything we do even if it's just to administer a PT test or something of the sort. We all have schedules and needs, so finding a time set for everyone will be challenging, but having multiple days a week we're trying to exercise together should give people more of a chance to participate at least once a week if they desire to. Again, we need to gauge interest here and get some ideas on times people are available. For example, I work 0700-1500, so anytime in the afternoon or evening is okay with me and most weekends I'm good to go. However, if we need to do a meet up once a week at say, 0500 for folks who work other hours or *shudder* like waking up early, we can schedule at least one day a week like that.

My personal goal is two-fold: improve my and others physical fitness to better ourselves and to foster a cohesive group of Rappahannock based individuals who can form a permanent APC chapter here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, I'll give it a go. I start a new job soon but expect it will be roughly 0800-1700 office hours from home, mostly. Might as well strike while the season is warm. Staying in Spotsylvania County would be the Easy Button.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I was hoping to see if 3-4 others would be interested so we could gauge a good time frame and location. It wouldn’t have to be same time/same place every session, and we can also integrate prereq 6 milers and PT tests into it for those who need them. Could also be useful for the guys in NOVA as well to have a regular spot they can use for those things as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm down and also fat.  Also Spotsy over on the Rt 2 side.  I work 0700-1530, Thursday nights are a no-go for me since I shoot a trap league that night.  I currently try to get to Planet Fitness in Massaponnax every day after 1530
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm down and also fat.  Also Spotsy over on the Rt 2 side.  I work 0700-1530, Thursday nights are a no-go for me since I shoot a trap league that night.  I currently try to get to Planet Fitness in Massaponnax every day after 1530
View Quote

I have gone off and on to the PF on 3 by Salem Church but am finally cancelling my membership. I'm planning to get my own free weights so I can look lost in the privacy of my own home.

So it kind of looks like an early evening type time might be best? 1800-1900? If we want closer in to town, Loriella Park down on Salem Church has some large open areas and I believe it has some hiking trails, though I'm not sure. There's also a few parks on the east side of 1 like Pratt Park that might work as well. Should we also look at something like M-W-F time frame? Do about an hour of warm up and work outs, my one day being a run day we can do either on the trail by the river in down Fburg or somewhere else?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
OST
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have gone off and on to the PF on 3 by Salem Church but am finally cancelling my membership. I'm planning to get my own free weights so I can look lost in the privacy of my own home.

So it kind of looks like an early evening type time might be best? 1800-1900? If we want closer in to town, Loriella Park down on Salem Church has some large open areas and I believe it has some hiking trails, though I'm not sure. There's also a few parks on the east side of 1 like Pratt Park that might work as well. Should we also look at something like M-W-F time frame? Do about an hour of warm up and work outs, my one day being a run day we can do either on the trail by the river in down Fburg or somewhere else?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say keep the PF membership.  The 3-4 of us could meet up and have a workout partner on the machines.  That'd be a nice change of pace for me, we could look stupid together haha
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I say keep the PF membership.  The 3-4 of us could meet up and have a workout partner on the machines.  That'd be a nice change of pace for me, we could look stupid together haha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would work too. I just need to start getting some usage out of it and it’s keep us out of the coming heat one or two sessions a week.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a PF black membership. I used to go to the one on Hwy. 3 near Salem Church before the Wuhan Flu hit. Haven't been there for 15 months. We need to set off the lunk alarm for fun.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in spotsy behind courtland.  I work from home but my wife's schedule at MWH regulates my week.  I can get out in most afternoons whenever though.

I ruck in my neighborhood every other day, and I lift at home 5-6 days a week.  I have lots of free weights, Bars, dumbbells up to 100#, a squat rack, pull-up bar, century bob, etc.

For indoor lifting activities I can host about 4 to 6 people; might be a good option for bad weather.  I'm in great shape asthetically, but I'm pretty broken.  I went on a BB ruck last year in January then broke my back about two weeks later.  I'm a work in progress but I can help y'all with lifting if you'd like.

I'm also down to ruck or train wherever.

ETA: I missed the FXBG ARF dinner awhile back because I didn't know about APC, but I'm super interested now that I'm back on my feet.  I've met some of you; I met @cone256 at the spotsy courthouse for the 2A sanctuary, and a few more on that BB ruck last year.  I'd love to meet more of you from my AO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was hoping to see if 3-4 others would be interested so we could gauge a good time frame and location. It wouldn’t have to be same time/same place every session, and we can also integrate prereq 6 milers and PT tests into it for those who need them. Could also be useful for the guys in NOVA as well to have a regular spot they can use for those things as well.
View Quote

Yes, us NoVa guys could use a change in venue.

I can't make promises, but hiking "down south" would interest me.  

Work obligations have me stuck here, Sun. thru Sun.    
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright, just jumping in real quick to let everyone know I haven't flaked out. I've gotten a little overwhelmed with becoming the only employee in my section at work plus trying to get my house decent to get on the market while it seems advantageous.

I'll put together a schedule tomorrow for everyone to look at. Maybe we can look at the 3rd or 4th week of July to give things a trial run. I'm thinking 3 days a week for the regular strengthening work outs, with one 6 miler a month with a shorter 2-3 miler once a month as well.

And just for those who aren't involved with APC or don't want to be, this is for anyone in the area who wants to work on increasing their physicality. I think having a good group of people in the surrounding area actively participating together is a good thing personally and can only help us with trying to deal with other pertinent issues in the area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
@Lexington
@cone256
@CTone03
@Ambridge77
@mnd

Alright, so I threw this together real quick after looking at what everyone has said. Lexington and I have Black memberships so we can each bring a guest and use any PF location, I'm not sure about cone256. We can always switch back and forth and or work at CTone03's place if that's what we'd like to do. The idea behind the Fitness Hike, and @Ben might have some good ideas, would be a shorter distance hike but involving other activities with it like buddy carries, sprints, litter carries, etc. to break up just marching for 2 miles and to include some cardio and other stuff. Saturdays would be the ideal time for a dedicated hike day, but again we don't need to a 6 miler every week. We use the non-long-distance Saturdays to do other events like PFTs, head out to a range for a stress type shoot, whatever anyone can imagine and schedule. I'd like to keep things fun and varied so it won't get boring and it might be more attractive for folks to come out and join us on Saturdays.

I'd still say that this is very much in a planning stage still. I'm going to try to get back into doing something during the week fitness-wise to break myself back into working my body, but I want to make sure that we've got something that works for all of us here before we launch head first into something that's not planned out real well.

ETA: I have no idea why the table function inserts this gigantic space here...

SundayMondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturday
REST1700REST1700REST1700Weekly Hike
-----Rt3 Planet Fitness-----2 mile Fitness Hike-----Massaponnax Planet FitnessEven Days: 3 mile Fitness Hike
Odd Days: 6 mile APC Hike
Times and Locations TBD
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a black membership as well.  I might be on a lower level of fitness than you guys haha.  I'm 300lbs and just started my journey to get myself back in shape.  Luckily I'm 6'5 so it's not as quite as bad as it sounds lol.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a black membership as well.  I might be on a lower level of fitness than you guys haha.  I'm 300lbs and just started my journey to get myself back in shape.  Luckily I'm 6'5 so it's not as quite as bad as it sounds lol.
View Quote

I’m 6’2” on a warm day and around 230, so you’re not the only one brother. It’s all about getting a group together to help keep us going. The goal is whatever you want, but my main goal is losing weight and being able to get 70 in each APFT event again.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Do I have to say how tall I am? And I'm 158 lbs. I'm living on borrowed youth and I'm looking forward to getting in shape. I'll hit the schedule as best I can.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in I just wanted to let you know I'm low speed, high drag.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm 5' 10" and look like I can go fast, but one of the harder things for me is to just get off the floor.  BROKE D;©£
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top