Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2020 4:52:43 PM EDT
I am currently in Idaho and our gun laws are extremely laid back. No real negative gun rules/laws I can think of. We are in Utah quite often and I would like to put together a grab bag to take. I have an sbr’d MPX that I would like to use. Aside from the obvious NFA laws does Utah allow concealed rifles in a vehicle that are NOT loaded? The MPX would be in one pocket and the magazines in another pocket in the same backpack.
I called local law enforcement, and they said they would have someone call back that had some answers and I haven’t heard anything for several days. Just curious if anyone here is a lawyer, officer, or have recently inquired on this subject. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Like you said NFA laws govern transportation of the SBR with its own set of rules
In Utah you can keep an unloaded rifle in a car. Unloaded = 2 actions away from firing like load chamber, pull trigger so you can keep a mag in there
If you have a CCW I believe we reciprocate with Idaho and then you could keep it loaded if you want.
In Utah a vehicle is seen as an extension of your domicile and you can keep a loaded pistol in there without any special permit
But if you don't have a CCW you have to be careful about getting out of the car with the loaded gun within 1000 feet of a school or church, of which we have plenty
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like you said NFA laws govern transportation of the SBR with its own set of rules
In Utah you can keep an unloaded rifle in a car. Unloaded = 2 actions away from firing like load chamber, pull trigger so you can keep a mag in there
If you have a CCW I believe we reciprocate with Idaho and then you could keep it loaded if you want.
In Utah a vehicle is seen as an extension of your domicile and you can keep a loaded pistol in there without any special permit
But if you don't have a CCW you have to be careful about getting out of the car with the loaded gun within 1000 feet of a school or church, of which we have plenty
View Quote

Thanks for the response! According to Utah Code 76-10 505 I cannot have a loaded rifle/shotgun in a vehicle, even if I have a concealed carry permit, which I do. I need to just give a call to the local law office again and see if I can get a response. If the 2 actions away rule that you mentioned above is accurate then carrying the mags in the same backpack would work out well. I sbr all my stuff and for once I am kind of wishing I hadn’t with the MPX. Pistols just seem to be more lenient with state laws.

I also am trying to be careful because if there is any piece of the law left up to interpretation I want to know. I would rather avoid a situation where an officer is having a bad day and interprets it against me. All unlikely scenarios, but would rather be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this section exempts you from that if you have a CCW

(3)Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to:
(a)an individual to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(i)pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(ii)by another state or county; or

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S523.html?v=C76-10-S523_2019051420190514
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think this section exempts you from that if you have a CCW

(3)Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to:
(a)an individual to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(i)pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(ii)by another state or county; or

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapter10/76-10-S523.html?v=C76-10-S523_2019051420190514
View Quote

Interesting! Funny enough I called again awhile ago and a woman officer told me that because of section 76-10-505 I can NOT have a loaded rifle regardless of concealed carry. I’m thinking this is a case of her not knowing all the details... thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont you have to notify NFA when you take an item across state lines? I was under this impression. If so it would be a hassle and I would probably just use something else. My current go to trunk rifle is an old AK
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dont you have to notify NFA when you take an item across state lines? I was under this impression. If so it would be a hassle and I would probably just use something else. My current go to trunk rifle is an old AK
View Quote

If you have a sbr then yes, you are correct. It is not a per, travel notification though. It last for a year.

To update this I talked to another officer and he said that if you have a concealed weapons permit then you can conceal a rifle as well the same as a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok.

Have fun
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top