Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2022 12:09:47 AM EDT
Hello,

I am not looking to hold anyone to the fire about any advice received or given here, just trying to see how painful this is going to be.

I understand there's a bunch of new gun laws being pushed through in Oregon, I'm not sure when they go into effect of if the effect what I'm doing at all.

I am an Alaska resident, I hold a Alaska CCW permit with a "NICS EXEMPT" endorsement on it. Which from what I've found Oregon does not recognize my CCW permit.

So here's the deal, My Uncle passed away in October, he had a total of 29 guns, a mixture of long guns and handguns. Here in early January I will be flying down to sort through the guns and fly back with the ones i want and maybe liquidate the unwanted ones.

At first the attorney said he could transfer the firearms directly to blood relatives with out going through the background check process, now he's saying I will have to go through the background check process. My concern is with how long it could take for the background check to process as I don't want to be stuck down there for a week if I don't have to be. I have never had a hold put on a firearm purchase, but its been a very long time since I have had to go through an actual background check due to the "NICS Exempt", on top of it will probably be for about 10-15 guns.

Anyone happen to have any experience with a situation like this? any info or help would be appreciated. This is is in Clackamas County if that matters.

Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Oregon doesn't recognize any other CHL outside of theirs. It's stupid.

Couple options, take them and don't say anything or the more legal one would be to send the firearms to your FFL in AK and just go pick them up.

Oregon laws are pretty retarded with the transfer stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing is required other than it is part of a inheritance and transfer to you by whoever is handling the estate.

Since you are a out of state resident it is a out of state transfer and covered under federal rules. Here is ATF info, ATF doc

Since you are in the state there may be questions if state law applies. Similarly Oregon law has the same exemption, Oregon transfer law

It would be helpful for you to get the exact laws and rules and provide them to the attorney. They are probably unknowledgeable and it would take them work to find them and may delay things for you.

Link Posted: 12/23/2022 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oregon doesn't recognize any other CHL outside of theirs. It's stupid.

Couple options, take them and don't say anything or the more legal one would be to send the firearms to your FFL in AK and just go pick them up.

Oregon laws are pretty retarded with the transfer stuff.
View Quote

because my uncle didn't have anyone listed as next of kin, the state took possession of all the firearms and are currently located in the attorneys office. I would love to just go there, pack them up and take them to the airport with me and away we go. my issue with shipping them would be cost, Oregon is flat out assault on how much their transfer fees cost. here its like 30$ for the first 5 guns, there its $50 per from what I've seen at the local place website closest to my uncles house. Also shipping t10-15 guns to Alaska is going to cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney,

Agreed on being retarded, you guys are getting hosed down there for sure.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

because my uncle didn't have anyone listed as next of kin, the state took possession of all the firearms and are currently located in the attorneys office. I would love to just go there, pack them up and take them to the airport with me and away we go. my issue with shipping them would be cost, Oregon is flat out assault on how much their transfer fees cost. here its like 30$ for the first 5 guns, there its $50 per from what I've seen at the local place website closest to my uncles house. Also shipping t10-15 guns to Alaska is going to cost an arm and a leg and maybe a kidney,

Agreed on being retarded, you guys are getting hosed down there for sure.
View Quote

Transfer fees are not high, the FFL you picked is shitty. My FFL does $20/BGC. He is a few hours from you though.

Lots of shitty FFLs are trying to take advantage of the current situation right now. Anything over $10 (state fee) is going to the FFL.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing is required other than it is part of a inheritance and transfer to you by whoever is handling the estate.

Since you are a out of state resident it is a out of state transfer and covered under federal rules. Here is ATF info, ATF doc

Since you are in the state there may be questions if state law applies. Similarly Oregon law has the same exemption, Oregon transfer law

It would be helpful for you to get the exact laws and rules and provide them to the attorney. They are probably unknowledgeable and it would take them work to find them and may delay things for you.

View Quote

Thank you for that info, I will bring those with me to the attorney. Yes he doesn't seem to know the gun laws very well.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Another thing that is a possibility, at least it used to be. If you are the lawful owner of a firearm you used to be able to legally ship it to yourself anywhere in the country where the firearm is legal. I have done this multiple times. Rules used to be it must be addressed to you and you are the only person allowed to open the package. I even got into an argument with my buddies firearms attorney when he said we couldn’t mail his gun to him in CA. I sent the attorney the letter of the law and he agreed. We shipped the gun to my buddy in CA no problems.

I don’t know if the rules have changed so do some research on this.

As far as flying with that many guns, new airline rules make the excess baggage very expensive. So much so shipping will likely be the cheapest way to go.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another thing that is a possibility, at least it used to be. If you are the lawful owner of a firearm you used to be able to legally ship it to yourself anywhere in the country where the firearm is legal. I have done this multiple times. Rules used to be it must be addressed to you and you are the only person allowed to open the package. I even got into an argument with my buddies firearms attorney when he said we couldn’t mail his gun to him in CA. I sent the attorney the letter of the law and he agreed. We shipped the gun to my buddy in CA no problems.

I don’t know if the rules have changed so do some research on this.

As far as flying with that many guns, new airline rules make the excess baggage very expensive. So much so shipping will likely be the cheapest way to go.

Best of luck.
View Quote

We will see im scheduled to be down there the 9th of Jan. Shipping to Alaska is always expensive, Handguns are usually  about 100$ a piece because they have to be overnighted. being able to put multiple guns in a case will hopefully on my favor. the plan as of now is to being all 29 back with me, which is 13 long guns and 16 pistols. at 100$ a piece to ship, and having multiple guns in a case even if its a 200$ luggage fee, ill still be ahead. It wont be cheap. but its an estimated 20k worth of guns and that's with out the optics. I also have 1k of 556 and some 44 mag ammo to bring back, which i may bite the bullet(haha) and ship them

either way ill keep everyone posted as to how it goes and what i pay for everything etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright, just got home this evening.

The lawyer was able to transfer me the firearms because I am a blood relative with no issues, even provided paperwork incase I needed it. What I did was brought 6 pelican cases with me, taped and tarped together in groups of 3, cost was 2 oversize bag fees @$100 a piece, checked a large pelican case and a smaller handgun ish case as checked bags.

Airlines screwed the pooch hard, after a 9 hour canceled flight in anchorage, got to Portland a day late, and WITH OUT MY LUGGAGE, they forgot to put it on the plane... so that put me behind. Got to Portland at 7am, didn't get my luggage til 4pm. Assessed and inventoried everything, left cases at place where guns were. Came back in the morning, got to work stripping scopes, optics, bipods and lights off the guns. got them all cased packed and ready to go locks and all, about 18 locks in total. drove from place of packing straight to Alaska Air Cargo had them ship all 6 cases for a grand total of 268lbs of firearms and cases  @$1.02 per lb, so $273.36, I insured it for 25k, Insurance was 1$ per 100$ of value, so insurance was $250, with taxes and all grand total of $541.66 to ship all firearms and a few misc. gun parts home. Took all optics and put them into 2 carry on bags, which was 13 long scopes, 3 red dots and 3 handgun red dots. with no issue. As well as 1k 556 in a checked bag as well as 400 .44 mag in another checked bag.

Didnt want to leave anything in the car as the lawyer said car break in/theft is super bad. Especially in the area where we got our hotel. That area was rough as hell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad it worked out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
That turned out better than I expected. Glad they got home with you!
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. Yes I felt like I got lucky. The lawyer did say that Bill 114 is on hold for the time being? Not sure how much that would of effected me other than having some magazines over 10rds?
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks. Yes I felt like I got lucky. The lawyer did say that Bill 114 is on hold for the time being? Not sure how much that would of effected me other than having some magazines over 10rds?
View Quote

It is going to fuck up everything if it is allowed to go into effect. The state will go into ultra slow mode on all background check if it allows any.

It takes the atf 9 months to approve a can. It’ll take the state a year and a half to approve a gun.

Maybe, maybe not. But I don’t trust those in power here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:34:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is going to fuck up everything if it is allowed to go into effect. The state will go into ultra slow mode on all background check if it allows any.

It takes the atf 9 months to approve a can. It’ll take the state a year and a half to approve a gun.

Maybe, maybe not. But I don’t trust those in power here.
View Quote

Jesus, sounds like a bunch of horse shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Isn’t there a ferry that goes Seattle to Alaska?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top