Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2024 12:01:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#1]
I mean I really hope it's discovered that NY is using the NICS system for ammo...and that the FBI conspired with them to allow it illegally...

But I don't see NY being THAT stupid. They must have their own janky background check system...like something NY cops or troopers use during traffic stops or whatever?

There's gotta be something they use other than NICS right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure we were all told it would be separate from NICS.
But still, why would he submit that work/effort if there wasn't something worth questioning.
Maybe a nothingburger, but lets see where it goes.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:03:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LamePostCount] [#3]
I thought it was already established that NY is using a thrid party for the ammo background checks.

Tyler Technologies Story
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LamePostCount:
I thought it was already established that NY is using a thrid party for the ammo background checks.

Tyler Technologies Story
View Quote

The real question then is how is money getting funneled back to NY's ruling class from Tyler Technologies?   Who owns this company and to what politician are they related. You know there are kickbacks.  There are always kickbacks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By LamePostCount:

Tyler Technologies Story
View Quote

In a partnership with the New York State Police, New York Office of Information Technology Services, and the FBI. Maybe he is trying to see if the FBI is providing NICS info to this partnership.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zero6] [#6]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Meathook:

The real question then is how is money getting funneled back to NY's ruling class from Tyler Technologies?   Who owns this company and to what politician are they related. You know there are kickbacks.  There are always kickbacks.
View Quote

I wish we had independent conservative investigative journalists who would dig into this sort of thing.  We all know the politicians are making money for themselves or their families on the backside of all the states dealings.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BenC] [#8]
Originally Posted By CatskillDraht:
Pretty sure we were all told it would be separate from NICS.
But still, why would he submit that work/effort if there wasn't something worth questioning.
Maybe a nothingburger, but lets see where it goes.  
View Quote

A spokesman said they use NICS, if they're truely that stupid and the guy spilled the beans then this is a great way to kick them in the nuts.

David Codrea is the guy who initially pushed for info that led to realizing what Fast & Furious was.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fp1201] [#9]
KNOWING that utilizing the NICS System for anything other than the express Congressional Charter would be very bad, even for NY to try (again) to circumvent.
Supposedly the Contracting Company is accessing a different Database, perhaps something publicly accessible that cannot be modified outside of State Controlled access.
As it stands now pretty much all the information found on a 4473 (substituting Gun for Make, Caliber, SN#/Lot and rounds) is entered PLUS a NYS issued ID, phone-Number, and e-mail address.
We fully expect that at some point or perhaps during an investigation that information would be cross referenced against your Handgun Licenses and any registered AW's....after all, those hurdles the State threw at you to begrudgingly issue a Handgun Licenses are meaningless against their belief that YOU are a criminal because you have a Gun and therefor the source of all those illegal guns used illegally to commit illegal acts.
All this money grabbing, unconstitutional bullshit is a precursor to confiscation or Legal actions against you from prejudicial Legislation...How So? game this: Thugs get stopped after a shooting, search comes up with a 9mm cartridge box and on that Box is a Lot number (keep in mind there are 1,280 boxes to a Pallet) so they run the number and find YOU bought a Box, so NOW you're the subject of the investigation.
They couldn't make COBIS work even after throwing 33 million dollars at it, but like all Democrat promises "it'll work this time".  
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fp1201] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Which begs the question of why the Dealer cost for an ammunition check is $2.50 and for a Gun it's $9.00 after all, if they're calling the same place and doing essentially the same work, why the disproportional amount?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fp1201:
Which begs the question of why the Dealer cost for an ammunition check is $2.50 and for a Gun it's $9.00 after all, if they're calling the same place and doing essentially the same work, why the disproportional amount?  
View Quote

Don't go giving them any ideas to jack up the ammo check price
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Don't go giving them any ideas to jack up the ammo check price
View Quote

Who is still buying ammo in NY?  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if they will even notice the loss of sales tax revenue.
Also, NYS Dec will get less, smaller share from Fed / Pitt Robertson act right?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ulyranger:
Who is still buying ammo in NY?  
View Quote

I think there are still quite a few who are at least trying to. I've stayed in touch with a good number of my former customers who tell me stories about them trying to buy ammo through retail and not getting approved for a couple of days
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I was at an indoor range last week and saw a couple guys waiting to pass an ammo background check that they were delayed for. They had pistol permits. And were delayed trying to buy ammo. They ended up just leaving.

Fuck NY.

There were no goddamn laws in the late 1700s saying you had to pass some check to buy ammo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DaveM4P99:

There were no goddamn laws in the late 1700s saying you had to pass some check to buy ammo.
View Quote
We know that and just about every other law they have passed to implement restrictions on the 2nd Amendment. Unfortunately until the Supreme Court steps in and says so, the Circuit Courts, who have been more than willing to go along with all the restrictions, have the final say and they seem to be keeping the status quo in place. There have been District Court successes, like Judge Benitez, but those successes are short lived as soon as the Circuit's step in. The 9th is going through all kinds of contortions to keep California's laws on the books. Maryland's MSR ban was shot down by the lower courts and immediately kept in place by the 4th Circuit and seems to be poised to declare it constitutional under Bruen. Probably the silliest mistake after Bruen was SCOTUS remanding all the cases back rather than overturning them and using them as an example on how future rulings should go.

Not holding my breath than ammunition purchase restrictions in New York will ever go away. At least not in my remaining lifetime and probably never if SCOTUS flips back to a Progressive majority.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I was at an indoor range last week and saw a couple guys waiting to pass an ammo background check that they were delayed for. They had pistol permits. And were delayed trying to buy ammo. They ended up just leaving.

Fuck NY.

View Quote

I’ve been told retail gun ranges that sell ammo to shoot during the range session needn’t run a background check. I only shoot at my club where they don’t sell ammo so I don’t have firsthand knowledge.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#19]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

I’ve been told retail gun ranges that sell ammo to shoot during the range session needn’t run a background check. I only shoot at my club where they don’t sell ammo so I don’t have firsthand knowledge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Fuck NY.

I guess the "problem" is they can't really keep track if you leave the range with live ammo or not.

And I guess you are still taking possession of it.

Such a dumb law anyway. If criminals can get guns, they aren't gonna have a problem getting ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top