Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2021 3:30:05 PM EDT
Long story short I’m under contract to buy a place in Dana Point. It seems like a really nice place that I was surprised I could afford and the area seems really nice too. Is there something that I’m missing? I’ve been here for a few years living a little more inland and I don’t know the area really well so I thought I’d try to solicit opinions and see if there’s anything kinda shitty about living in that part of the county that I’m not to speed on. Any tips would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, escaping the Sunshine Curtain isn’t really an option for the foreseeable future
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had to guess, traffic?  Don't get down there very often.  Maybe politics?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
For Krackaforniastan, Dana Point is rad!  Traffic sucks if you have to go any place outside of N. County SD, and the immediate area around Dana Point.  If you need to go to LA, its a trip you have to plan like you do a trip to Vegas.  If you are trying to get to Riverside, or down town SD, its the same type of trip.

The resturants are good, the beaches are the best in SoCal, and the general vibe and scenery are tops.  Most of your out of town trips are better to fly out of John Wayne if you can, or Long Beach if you must.

The biggest draw back is traffic.  And it has been getting worse exponentially every year since the 90s.

My SoCal FFL and friend is in Dana Point, he works from home.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Dana Point is awesome. Traffic and tourist crowds are gonna be your biggest headache.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#4]
92629 or 92624?

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
92629 or 92624?

View Quote

The place I was under contract for was 92629.  The deal fell through due to...financial irregularities with the HOA that looked like a big, expensive headache down the road.  

That being said, the area seems really fucking cool and I think I can afford to make something happen down there and I’d really like to.  I’m really just trying to figure out if there’s shitty stuff that I don’t want in my life before I make the investment.  

I might as well make the most of being stuck in CA.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For Krackaforniastan, Dana Point is rad!  Traffic sucks if you have to go any place outside of N. County SD, and the immediate area around Dana Point.  If you need to go to LA, its a trip you have to plan like you do a trip to Vegas.  If you are trying to get to Riverside, or down town SD, its the same type of trip.

The resturants are good, the beaches are the best in SoCal, and the general vibe and scenery are tops.  Most of your out of town trips are better to fly out of John Wayne if you can, or Long Beach if you must.

The biggest draw back is traffic.  And it has been getting worse exponentially every year since the 90s.

My SoCal FFL and friend is in Dana Point, he works from home.  
View Quote

You’re confirming my impression . No worry about the traffic; I live in Irvine right now and I can’t imagine it being worse than this.  Never in my life have I ever seen a school district that didn’t run buses...Honestly, anything that’s not a crime-ridden dump would be better than Irvine.  I’ve never in my life lived in such a boring, stale, lifeless, and overpriced town.  

BTW, I didn’t think our glorious People’s Republic allowed kitchen table FFLs?  News to me.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The place I was under contract for was 92629.  The deal fell through due to...financial irregularities with the HOA that looked like a big, expensive headache down the road.  

That being said, the area seems really fucking cool and I think I can afford to make something happen down there and I’d really like to.  I’m really just trying to figure out if there’s shitty stuff that I don’t want in my life before I make the investment.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
92629 or 92624?

As far as public schools go there’s two elementary schools, no middle school and one high school.

Biggest “problem” is homeless people but they stay close to PCH and Doheny Park Road.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As far as public schools go there’s two elementary schools, no middle school and one high school.

Biggest “problem” is homeless people but they stay close to PCH and Doheny Park Road.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
92629 or 92624?

That’s really helpful intel, thanks.  I kind of assumed based off of my experience going down to San Clemente and Laguna Beach that beach bums would be a thing.  It is what it is.  I’m gonna hazard a guess that it’s not as bad as my last trip up to Venice a couple of years ago lol.  If that’s all I’ve got to worry about, I’m not gonna fret too much.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s really helpful intel, thanks.  I kind of assumed based off of my experience going down to San Clemente and Laguna Beach that beach bums would be a thing.  It is what it is.  I’m gonna hazard a guess that it’s not as bad as my last trip up to Venice a couple of years ago lol.  If that’s all I’ve got to worry about, I’m not gonna fret too much.  
View Quote

Night and day difference between Dana Point and Venice. Doesn’t even look like the same country let alone the same state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top