Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2024 1:33:49 PM EDT
Needing to replace our ceramic crock pot slow cooker.    We just use it for soups and roasts.  
Have you found the Instant Pots just fads that you don’t use anymore?  Are they really much more useful?

Looks like they can do a lot.  Would be open to try other things cooked in one.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:33:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#1]
My wife loves hers. She’s made beans, various chicken dishes, cooked spaghetti squash, hard boiled eggs, her dad makes yogurt in his, pretty much everything you’d crockpot all day you can do in a half hour.

While I couldn’t care less (I don’t use it), it’s on our counter several times a month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Every meal we've made with ours has been a real hit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife had to have one, she might used it 4 or 5 times, now that Air Fryer I bought her, she uses the fuq outta that thing and so do the kids....

I dont use either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There's always some new fad kitchen appliance.
The only two that seem to really be useful are a crock pot and an air fryer.

My wife often makes corned beef brisket, cheesy chicken, and pot roast in the slow cooker.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to replace your slow cooker one way or another get an instant pot.
They slow cook plus many other things.  A slow cooker is an Alton Brown single tasker while an instant pot is a multitasker.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  I’ll go ahead and do some more research on the Insta Pot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#7]
We love ours. Wife makes chicken stock from bones every time we get a Costco chicken - no need to simmer for hours, just pressure cooks for 30-45 minutes and done.
I do ham and beans. Frozen ham and dry beans to hot soup in an hour.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It's the best for chicken to get it to the fall apart kind of cooked.  Some people make cakes in them.  

That and the air fryer are life changes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi,

Wife uses an oval slow cooker from Ninja for everything, stew to soups.  She loves it.  I'm partial to a versatile air fryer oven.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Our Insta Pot sits on the shelf unused. Just too complicated.
Our air fryer doubles as a toaster. We use it as a toaster.

We use the heck out of our Crockpot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#11]
We had our first bad meal out of the instant pot last night.

We had frozen fish of grouper meat consistency that didn't cook all the way like the recipe said it would.  We had to finish it off in the microwave because we were impatient.  All three of us had just returned from the gym and we were ready to feed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:
We had our first bad meal out of the instant pot last night.

We had frozen fish of grouper meat consistency that didn't cook all the way like the recipe said it would.  We had to finish it off in the microwave because we were impatient.  All three of us had just returned from the gym and we were ready to feed.
View Quote

Remove and clean your pressure relief device.  I found it fails to seat when dirty from heavy use.  This in turn prevents the Insta Pot from reaching enough pressure to cook.  Other parts that can fail are the head gasket. Make sure it isn't stretched out, damaged, or dirty.

We love our 'Pot and use it for soups, pull-apart chicken, chilis, you name it.

Still use a dedicated rice cooker though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top