Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 10:22:04 PM EDT
My son is transferring to U of W from Dixie State U./Utah Tech, this fall, and I want to make sure
he's prepared for the winter driving conditions. Is 4WD with all terrain tires sufficient or will chains
be necessary for routine driving around town?
Thanks in advance
Tom
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#1]
For the most part he'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
(I live in Laramie). I don't think I've ever seen a non ATV with chains around town.
Good tires are a must. Not all streets get plowed, but some do, and there are many freeze thaw cycles, sometimes in a day. So going around town you might have a block that is a sheet of ice, followed by a block that is dry pavement then turn onto a street packed with snow.
Around the mountains as long as he sticks to more main and forest service roads it should be good too. If he likes exploring deep in the woods then it might be a good idea.

Let me know if y'all need any help.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not regretted 4WD.  I've been here for three winters, and this
last one was the worst.  I never put on chains.  Laramie generally doesn't
get THAT bad.  Definitely less than the area from Saratoga ish to Wamsutter ish.

He'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I was just concerned as he has no experience
driving in winter conditions.
Tom

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I was just concerned as he has no experience
driving in winter conditions.
Tom

View Quote

I would advise staying off I-80 from about November until about April then.
It can be unforgiving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top