Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2023 2:31:24 PM EDT
So I currently just moved from Delaware to Maryland, but literally 5 minutes across state lines.  I would like to buy a suppressor and I do not know how long I am staying in Maryland for.  Meanwhile in Delaware for whatever reason suppressors are banned.
If I ever choose to move back would I have to forfeit my suppressor and tax stamp?  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I would rather not go to prison in a federal jail.  Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If you become a Maryland resident, you can legally buy and possess a suppressor, as you know.

Unless Delaware law changes, you won't be able to take it back to DE with you, also as you know.

This means selling it from MD or otherwise signing it over to someone who can legally possess it. Unless you plan to return to Maryland later, it would seem simplest to just sell it, perhaps on consignment.

Delaware cannot control your actions or possessions outside their jurisdiction, so if you had somewhere you could legally leave it/keep it in MD, you could continue to own it and then use it when you visit MD. I seem to recall some C-III dealers with indoor ranges that would keep your C-III gear for you and let you use it when you came to their facility. This would only be a stop-gap solution if you did plan to return to MD.

If you did continue to possess it in MD after returning to DE resident status, that MAY give you standing to challenge the DE law, in that you have a legally owned item you cannot bring to your home. If this seems like a possibility, contact a firearms-savvy attorney. Feel lucky?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This response is what I needed!  Thank you for that!
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You're welcome. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top