Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2022 7:29:48 PM EDT
I've done paperwork on a pistol and I've been waiting almost three weeks. What the heck am I waiting for? I called the FFL and they said they're waiting on the police to "do their job" and approve my purchase. The FFL then said if they don't approve it within 30 days I have to come in and redo the paperwork.

Wtf? I've never even had a delay?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait period is ten business days. Labor Day would be excluded.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been waiting three weeks, or 15 business days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I got stung by that 30 day thing in July.  I went to pick up a pistol, and the guy behind the counter said "this paperwork is expired".  I had to go through a background check and waiting period again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
What a bummer. Seems like a really easy way for the state government to sit on their hands and in turn violate rights.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up my pistol yesterday after waiting 7 days. I was amazed, last one took 20 days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang 7? I have yet to get a single firearm before 10 full business days.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a bummer. Seems like a really easy way for the state government to sit on their hands and in turn violate rights.
View Quote

That's why dealers are allowed, possibly are required, to transfer the pistol on the 11th business day after they submit the forms to the local PD/SO (after the tenth business day... so the submission day is like zero day).
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
What counties / cities are these that are running that long a delay? I've found that Seattle PD and South Sound 911 for Tacoma always drag their butts right up to the 10 day mark but I haven't had one go past that yet for a customer in western Washington. Dealers have to send paperwork via fax to Seattle, no other submission option and if their single damn fax machine is busy too bad, try again at night or next day (even though we're required to send these in same day...). By comparison I usually get pistol approvals back from the Kent PD same day (longest was 3 days, shortest was within an hour on a Sunday).
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Dealers MAY release a handgun after 10 full business days have passed, but don't have to.  Some larger stores in particular will not release without a "proceed" (Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and Bass Pro for sure).  Most smaller dealers will send it home at the earlier of 10 days or a proceed.

By law, semi-automatic assault rifles of Death and Doom have to go the full 10 business days even if a proceed is received before them.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dealers MAY release a handgun after 10 full business days have passed, but don't have to.  Some larger stores in particular will not release without a "proceed" (Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and Bass Pro for sure).  Most smaller dealers will send it home at the earlier of 10 days or a proceed.

By law, semi-automatic assault rifles of Death and Doom have to go the full 10 business days even if a proceed is received before them.

Rob
View Quote

i don't buy at sportsmans warehouse but i have heard of this happening at the everett location......forcing customers to come back in and do paperwork a 2nd time. my ffl transfers on the 10th day. aint nobody got time to mess around with multiple attempts at paperwork
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#11]
This will be the last time I shop at Sportsmans Warehouse for firearms for sure, this is the only FFL that I've had this issue with. All this over a friggen .380 acp. I'm sure they're gonna get weird on day 31 and I tell them I want a refund.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top