Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2018 1:22:54 AM EDT
I've heard that somewhere on the books is law stating on public lands one cannot hunt small game, such as squirrel or rabbit with rifles.

Can anyone point me to where this is in the ORC?

I can't find anything on the DNR website or in the hunting/trapping guidebook.

Also, spotlighting furbearers, specifically coyote... I can only find spotlighting to be prohibited if the light is projected from a vehicle. I can't find anything prohibiting the activity if on foot, nor whether the light can be attached to a weapon (except when deer hunting).

All I can find so far is the section on legal hunting implements and the prohibition of lights from vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to check the rules for each public hunting land.

For example, West Branch State Park: ODNR West Branch State Park Wildlife Area Regulations

Upland game species are well distributed throughout the wildlife area, in crop fields, shrubby coverts, grasslands, and
woods. The best rabbit hunting occurs in the brushy upland along field edges and woods borders. There are several
good squirrel woods on the area. Deer populations are good offering good archery and shotgun hunting opportunities.
West Branch State Park is open for hunting, but the northeastern section of the park, which is bound on the west
by Rock Spring Road and on the south 100 yards beyond the lake shore, is closed to hunting. This no hunting
area includes the park office, camp area, horse camp, dam, and east boat ramp. A 400-foot no hunting/safety zone
extends around all other developed facilities. Rifles are permitted for furbearer hunting only, between 6:00 p.m. and
6:00 a.m. during the furbearer hunting season. Trapping is permitted in all hunting zone areas. Target shooting is
prohibited. Contact the park office for more details.
View Quote
You can always call the local park office to get a run down as well. My understanding is that most public hunting lands based around a large body of water prohibit rifle use.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would maybe call the game warden for that particular county and ask him, I used to hunt groundhogs a lot with rifles many years ago and it was legal certain months of the year, If I remember right I couldn't have a rifle during rabbit/pheasant season(I can only assume it was because of safety with hundreds of guys out there after bunnies and you out there throwing rifle bullets, plus the whole thing of being out there with a firearm not legal for the game most guys are after) Deer season was a big no no for bottle necked rounds, I think they want you killing yotes year round but its best to be careful/sure on your gun because most wardens cut no slack.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to kill a ton of groundhogs at the public hunting land across RT 58 from Findley Sate Park.  For some reason the state stopped leasing the land to farmers and now it is just overgrown fields.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to kill a ton of groundhogs at the public hunting land across RT 58 from Findley Sate Park.  For some reason the state stopped leasing the land to farmers and now it is just overgrown fields.
View Quote
Use to be a shit ton of them here in Central Ohio but Coyote have cut there numbers a bit(at least where I hunted) they used to have there holes right out in the middle of fields but the last couple years I hunted them they had smartened up and were in the edges of tree lines and creek banks, they didn't seem to venture to far from there holes either, had a farmer tell me one time he watched from his kitchen window as two coyotes caught a groundhog out in the open...one sat by his hole while the other chased him down, pretty tricky stuff.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Lady on the phone of my local hunting area said that rifles are prohibited and it is POSTED as such. I've yet to see a sign. When i get back in town I'm going to go check out the office area AGAIN.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top