Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/30/2020 1:50:37 PM EDT
I've been following the big thread in GD and took someone's advice about checking local news for scheduled protests - sure enough, tampabay.com reports an "angry but peaceful" group in the hundreds rallied at the downtown TPD headquarters and began marching around the area. The article also mentions scheduled protests for St Pete and Temple Terrace (northeast Tampa area) today as well. I'm far enough north that I don't expect anything to make it up here, but maybe keep an eye on the news if you're near any of these areas.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If it wasn't so far I wouldn't mind dropping by and instigating something.

Better clarify this. Something like accidentally releasing some pepper spray amongst the rioters, maybe just a few bags of dog shit where they are stomping around with their signs. Who knows....
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Bet no protests next door in Polk county.

Remember in January when a Sanders staffer said that Milwaukee and other cities will burn if Bernie wasn’t on the presidential ticket? Think this is a trial run at it since the DNC convention was cancelled?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Downtown Jax is winding down. JSO had snipers deployed and one cop got slashed in the neck with a knife and is in surgery.

We have a large, very popular outdoor mall and apparently that's the next target.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw something about the cop, hope they come out of it alright. There's a live stream for Tampa on Youtube now, 10 Tampa Bay. Can't quite ID the mall they appear to be covering. Also saw they apparently looted a Walmart and set a gas station on fire. I'm wondering what downtown currently looks like - my office isn't far from the TPD precinct they protested at earlier and I've been kicking around ideas for how to extract my laptop so I can keep working from home in the event that they do something stupid that temporarily puts me out of a job.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Mall that is the hot spot is University Square mall, which is next door to USF and down a little farther is MOSI(Museum Of Science and Industry).

News

More News

Good Vids scroll down
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought that looked like University but I couldn't see well enough to confirm. Looked like they tear gassed everyone or something at the end of the stream I had found there. Might keep an ear out on Broadcastify tonight just in case this spreads or has any knock-on effects in the wider area.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
crazy!

I was ready, but I figured the protestors would mock my Olight WML and Holosun RDO, so I stayed home.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
What’s with all of the paper towels ?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What’s with all of the paper towels ?
View Quote

where you been for the past 3 months?  That's how I'm gonna form my harem of soccer moms, by trading their husbands paper towels and TP for their wives.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#10]
If the relatively full shelves of it at Target yesterday are any indication I think your currency has unfortunately been de-valued

On a more serious note - was there any trouble over in your neck of the woods? I didn't hear anything from over there but I was also more concerned with keeping an eye on the Tampa stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Most Walmarts in Tampa area are closing immediately.  Brandon Town Center also asked everyone to leave and is closing.  Sounds like things are currently getting sporty near MLK and 22nd.  Probably going to be a long night for our first responsders.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the relatively full shelves of it at Target yesterday are any indication I think your currency has unfortunately been de-valued

On a more serious note - was there any trouble over in your neck of the woods? I didn't hear anything from over there but I was also more concerned with keeping an eye on the Tampa stuff.
View Quote

I've heard of nothing over here in Pinellas.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most Walmarts in Tampa area are closing immediately.  Brandon Town Center also asked everyone to leave and is closing.  Sounds like things are currently getting sporty near MLK and 22nd.  Probably going to be a long night for our first responsders.
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Tampa Mayor Jane Castor just enacted a curfew for the city starting at 7:30pm.  This shit is beyond out of hand.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

where you been for the past 3 months?  That's how I'm gonna form my harem of soccer moms, by trading their husbands paper towels and TP for their wives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's with all of the paper towels ?

That's harambe level of harems

oh wait
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tampa Mayor Jane Castor just enacted a curfew for the city starting at 7:30pm.  This shit is beyond out of hand.
View Quote

100 NG headed to Tampa at her request.

Tracking Pinellas and Pasco, nothing yet. Maybe too redneck?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

100 NG headed to Tampa at her request.

Tracking Pinellas and Pasco, nothing yet. Maybe too redneck?
View Quote

Pasco?  Possibly too country but certainly not Pinellas.  Also, Lakeland is a cluster fuck right now and that’s Grady Judd’s county so all bets are off.  Just watched a video posted elsewhere on this site showing motherfuckers jumping on someone’s car and kicking in their windshield.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
per facebook Ocala got some rioting(can't confirm) and they closed the Walmart on 27 in Leesburg(per facebook) made everyone leave just in case. Good distance between the two, I wonder what sort of intel they got.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Good to hear, thanks Spartacus. Pinellas is mostly urban sprawl, decidedly not rural like the interior can be. My main concern is that I have a lot of family in north Pinellas that probably wouldn't know any of this was going on unless it came to their doorstep. I should probably make a couple wellness checks tonight...

Meanwhile, in Pasco, I haven't seen any sign of impending hootenanny, but we're also set back about 3/4 mile from the local lootie destination. I found the radio frequency for Wiregrass (local mall thing) given as 466.9125 but haven't gotten anything but static. I figure that or the grove are the two biggest targets around here. Will advise in the unlikely event that anything actually happens around here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pasco?  Possibly too country but certainly not Pinellas.  Also, Lakeland is a cluster fuck right now and that’s Grady Judd’s county so all bets are off.  Just watched a video posted elsewhere on this site showing motherfuckers jumping on someone’s car and kicking in their windshield.
View Quote

Lakeland resident here. Cluster fuck indeed. Two groups have been bussed in. One from Tampa, one from Orlando.

Facebook and social feeds indicate they are waiting for nightfall.

My daughters were out shopping, we called them home early. They indicated there are police everywhere.

We're all home, and everyone knows their role.

Hopefully it is a quiet night. Don't see Grady putting up with too much shit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#21]
not trying to ninja the thread, but in the interest of consolidation, lake county just got a curfew 10pm to 5am
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
No worries, updated to reflect statewide info coming in. Post it if you've got it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#23]
All quiet here in Collier .
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lakeland resident here. Cluster fuck indeed. Two groups have been bussed in. One from Tampa, one from Orlando.

Facebook and social feeds indicate they are waiting for nightfall.

My daughters were out shopping, we called them home early. They indicated there are police everywhere.

We're all home, and everyone knows their role.

Hopefully it is a quiet night. Don't see Grady putting up with too much shit.
View Quote

Very interesting that. Wounder who set up and paid for that?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All quiet here Collier .
View Quote

*yawn*Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Beach Drive in St. Pete is going crazy right now according to unnamed sources. There appears to be a moderate police presence there. St. Pete police can handle First Friday around MacDinton's pretty handily and their tax base is overrepresented by the area east of 4th st and N of USF, so I hope that things stay good for tonight.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All quiet here Collier .
View Quote

Lee and Charlotte has no activity currently. Hopefully it stays that way.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
West Oaks Mall in Ocoee(south of winter garden) is reported looted clean/damaged.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Beach Drive in St. Pete is going crazy right now according to unnamed sources. There appears to be a moderate police presence there. St. Pete police can handle First Friday around MacDinton's pretty handily and their tax base is overrepresented by the area east of 4th st and N of USF, so I hope that things stay good for tonight.
View Quote

@a555 define “going crazy” for us?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
One of our cops had his "neck slashed" last night. No updates in the news, though. All they said last night is that he was at the hospital.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@a555 define “going crazy” for us?
View Quote

Shoot. This would be crazy under normal circumstances, it seems mild in comparison to elsewhere. I know they blocked traffic and had people in the streets. Police appeared to be on top of things.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#33]
No issues overnight up here. Or, at least, if there were they didn't make it down the road to the neighborhood. Pasco PD isn't on Broadcastify so all I got was the EMS system calling out a bunch of diabetics and heart trouble dispatches.

I'm still working from home today, but I'll check in with people in the office and see how downtown is looking. Sounds like business as usual so far but I also don't think anyone would notice or care unless people actually kicked in the door or jammed them up in traffic.

ETA: Co-worker in the office today reported business as usual downtown. Will check at the end of the day to see if anything develops, might do some surveying from the top of a local garage and possibly roam the area a bit tomorrow when it's my turn to head in.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
per facebook Ocala got some rioting(can't confirm) and they closed the Walmart on 27 in Leesburg(per facebook) made everyone leave just in case. Good distance between the two, I wonder what sort of intel they got.
View Quote

I saw in one of the word of mouth Facebook groups that Target and Walmart in Leesburg and The Villages (Lady Lake) were targeted for looting.  I don't know the source of that information or if anything actually happened.

I was in Orlando last night just before things got sporty.  408 was closed at I-4 and there were more Troopers in that immediate area then I've ever seen in one place before.  All the Wawa stores closed at 9:00 PM and taped off their fuel pumps (I'm assuming they were turned off from inside the store).
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe that's been the intent from some of these groups all along, wreck the local communities. Antifa is having a field day with all these protests! Coronavirus is the perfect cover too, since everyone is already wearing masks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I think so, yeah. As always it seems to be a mix - all the Antifa types see a chance to go LARP at being revolutionaries, and in the course of smashing the evil fascist symbols of corporatism (AKA the local auto parts store) they instigate a lot of other people to say "hell with it" and join in, and the looters of opportunity just see a chance to get more stuff in the name of social justice. The original message falls by the wayside and ceases to matter, and as usual, nothing positive comes of any of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Citrus county reporting in... crickets

We do have a “peaceful protest” scheduled for tomorrow evening in Lecanto at a church. Everything is so spread out here they’d die from exhaustion before they could loot more than a mattress or flooring store. I doubt anything will happen unless they bus in agitators and have transpo for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Any south Tampa people here? Worried it’s really going pop off if they decide to bring the rioting and looting to the neighborhood, since it seems like ever other house is retired military or LEO. A lot of trump supporters on my block. Heard they had to block off Bayshore and rioters had to be stopped from trying to get on Davis island last night.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any south Tampa people here? Worried it’s really going pop off if they decide to bring the rioting and looting to the neighborhood, since it seems like ever other house is retired military or LEO. A lot of trump supporters on my block. Heard they had to block off Bayshore and rioters had to be stopped from trying to get on Davis island last night.
View Quote

Start talking to neighbors and setup a neighborhood patrol and if necessary, a road block (with some high power spot lights). If everyone can recognize everyone else easy enough you’re good, but if it gets froggy, you may want IFF armbands etc.  After dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in Miami, just an intimidating presence at the entrance should deter troublemakers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bet no protests next door in Polk county.

Remember in January when a Sanders staffer said that Milwaukee and other cities will burn if Bernie wasn’t on the presidential ticket? Think this is a trial run at it since the DNC convention was cancelled?
View Quote

Just saw Judd on the NEWS. He said something to the effect, LET ME WARN YOU

Right on TV Polk county SHERIFF said our residence are armed. If a rioters trys to break in to their homes ect. They will get blown right back out. I encourage our residences to use those guns if they are threatened by these rioters who are not protesters. But criminals.

So basically old Grady Judd said if rioters come into your neighborhood and threaten you on your property. I assume that means business also if you are there protecting it.  Blow them away.

I take back everything I've said about old Judd he talks like we think.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm north of tampa but I work downtown. I was remote today but office folks reported things were normal this morning. Seems like most of it that I heard about remained centered around the University mall area, and things were apparently less rowdy last night. I get the feeling that there won't be enough motivation to get anything really bad going and that this will peter out over the next couple days, but I'm also not taking any chances.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Wifey's feed says they are burning stores tonight. (Tampa)
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Peachy. Got a location or link?
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm north of tampa but I work downtown. I was remote today but office folks reported things were normal this morning. Seems like most of it that I heard about remained centered around the University mall area, and things were apparently less rowdy last night. I get the feeling that there won't be enough motivation to get anything really bad going and that this will peter out over the next couple days, but I'm also not taking any chances.
View Quote

That area is a shithole. We call it suitcase city. Worked station 13 called the house of pain and at hospital in that area on rescue unit. We had a FRS MAV located there.

That area and around Hillsborough ave and 34th st area are all crap areas.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a helicopter circling around my neighborhood near Rocky Point for about 40 minutes this evening, but all seems quiet here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:45:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, I was struck by how long it's been that way too. I was talking to a guy who must've graduated in the late '80s-early '90s knew it well too. I lived off 42nd just north of campus when I was there - actually bought my first pistol (the CZ that gave me my name here) at University Gun and Pawn down on Fletcher. The first night I spent in my apartment out there, I had to run to Walmart for something around midnight, and as I was standing up at the overcrowded checkout line I heard someone yell "man I'm an ex-convict, I will make this line move"

Great place. Truly, just top quality people out there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Downtown appears quiet. Nothing out of the ordinary visible from 275 on the drive in. Will update if that changes later.

ETA: talked to a coworker who lives in Temple Terrace - he got diverted by a TPD roadblock on his way home that night, but didn't directly see anything and his neighborhood didn't appear to be affected. He mentioned seeing some evidence of things getting a little sporty up by the 275/I4 onramp and that police were staging up at various spots as he was leaving yesterday, but he didn't say anything about actually seeing anyone doing sketchy things.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was struck by how long it's been that way too. I was talking to a guy who must've graduated in the late '80s-early '90s knew it well too. I lived off 42nd just north of campus when I was there - actually bought my first pistol (the CZ that gave me my name here) at University Gun and Pawn down on Fletcher. The first night I spent in my apartment out there, I had to run to Walmart for something around midnight, and as I was standing up at the overcrowded checkout line I heard someone yell "man I'm an ex-convict, I will make this line move"

Great place. Truly, just top quality people out there.
View Quote

University Pawn oh yeah remember that place. It's still there. Bought a several guns from them. Use to drive from Plant City to go there.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Just received word from HR that a protest is confirmed for 4PM at the Tampa city hall. We're right in that area so we're all being sent home NLT 3:30. I'm not hanging around to see what happens as that demonstration will block my way out but I'll take note of anything i see.

ETA: left at 230 to get ahead of the (literal) mob. Saw a few hangers-around outside City Hall, probably early birds. TPD had a lot of vehicles staged up along Kennedy and most of the cross streets along my route out were already blocked with concrete barriers and heavy vehicles. My straight shot up Florida Ave to the interstate was uneventful and unimpeded.

Stopped at Shoot Straight to do a peace of mind check on my AR pistol, which will be discreetly coming to work with me for the foreseeable future. Parking lot was practically overflowing. Looked like the WuFlu buying rush but worse inside - range was relatively open but the store itself was packed with shoppers of all colors and creeds. Made me glad I was there to shoot and not to buy.

Also - 301 reportedly shut down at Big Bend Rd for a protest there. Gonna be a long night...
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just received word from HR that a protest is confirmed for 4PM at the Tampa city hall. We're right in that area so we're all being sent home NLT 3:30. I'm not hanging around to see what happens as that demonstration will block my way out but I'll take note of anything i see.
View Quote

Stay safe!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top