Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 11:07:16 PM EDT
According to fb, there is going to be a " protest " at the Stafford square market place tommorw at 1:00.
I live about a mile up the road. What's the law here concerning defending ones home?  I'm not out looking for trouble but I wont be a victim either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to fear for your life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to fear for your life.
View Quote

Not likely to happen.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not likely to happen.
View Quote

In order to defend your home you have to be in fear of your life.  You can’t shoot someone just because they are busting your car windows for example.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#4]
There’s no way I won’t come off like a dick, so here goes.  I say this with the best of intentions, having only your post to go by.

OP, as a gun owner, this is something that you should already have an answer to. Do you have a concealed permit or regularly OC? Again, you should know the answer.

I’m not an attorney and my advice costs a lot less. But, you do have to be defending yourself or someone from death or serious harm. And you’ll be judged under the reasonable man doctrine. Would a reasonable man be in fear of death in the same situation? Don’t listen to the people that tell you “I was in fear for my life” are magic words. They aren’t. Someone in your yard? Not a threat. Someone in your yard during round after round into your home? Threat.

There are several incidents every year of otherwise respectable gun owners blasting away at a shape in the dark that turns out to be their child, a neighbor, a confused but harmless drunk. And they tend to pay for it, both legally and in a lifetime of knowing they shot the wrong person.

If you haven’t gotten training, it’s probably a good time. If not, read some blogs from guys like Greg Ellifritz or Grant Cunningham or even Mas Ayoob. They tend to cover lots of these issues.

If you are concerned, war game some scenarios about what you would do if rioters showed up in your block.

Stay frosty and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to fb, there is going to be a " protest " at the Stafford square market place tommorw at 1:00.
I live about a mile up the road. What's the law here concerning defending ones home?  I'm not out looking for trouble but I wont be a victim either.
View Quote

What is basically comes down to is you can use deadly force in the preservation of people and not property. You can shoot if you perceive a deadly threat to you or another person but you can not shoot someone if they are trying to steal your car and pose no threat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What is basically comes down to is you can use deadly force in the preservation of people and not property. You can shoot if you perceive a deadly threat to you or another person but you can not shoot someone if they are trying to steal your car and pose no threat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly right. There are some cases where you can properly articulate justifiable deadly force to protect property- particularly where destruction or theft of the property in question puts the public at risk.

To protect critical infrastructure the destruction of which could lead to many deaths, for example, or to stop the theft of firearms when a reasonable person could ascertain those firearms will then be used for acts of unlawful violence.

It is definitely best to avoid those situations though, because you never know what a jury will find "reasonable".
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mostly right. There are some cases where you can properly articulate justifiable deadly force to protect property- particularly where destruction or theft of the property in question puts the public at risk.

To protect critical infrastructure the destruction of which could lead to many deaths, for example, or to stop the theft of firearms when a reasonable person could ascertain those firearms will then be used for acts of unlawful violence.

It is definitely best to avoid those situations though, because you never know what a jury will find "reasonable".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are all valid points. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.
I have a CC permit, I carry. I am also military, lots of training in rifles and pistols.
I did my own research about what I was asking. Im not looking for trouble.
Please be safe out there NOVA, I have a feeling this week is so going to be fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Rumor has it there are people on 610 intersection of 610/95 near the Sheheey Toyota dealership blocking the road.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks.
I have a CC permit, I carry. I am also military, lots of training in rifles and pistols.
I did my own research about what I was asking. Im not looking for trouble.
Please be safe out there NOVA, I have a feeling this week is so going to be fucking stupid.
View Quote

Sounds like you’re ready. Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top