Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2023 10:50:19 AM EDT
Anyone else heard of this? i have watch two reports on local tv (channel 6 in the bhm metro area) where all the major city mayors are getting the democrats to introduce a bill for "public safety". They say it is for glock switches (which are already regulated by the feds) but in listening to the language from the democrats it would also make it a felony to have anything that enhances a trigger (binary triggers, competition triggers, etc). I plan on calling my local rep and have a conversation with them about it this week. It needs to be stopped
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I have not heard about this.

View Quote

I ain’t heard nothin of this either. Shall not be infringed…
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 2:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If that's how it's being presented, "Enhances a trigger" is awfully vague.

I have Power Custom stoning jigs for several trigger styles.  Legal?
You can buy shoes to add to the trigger.  Legal?
What if I just want to Dremel smooth out the face or angle it slightly to fit my finger better?  That's enhanced for me.  Legal?

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an email from the NRA regarding the trigger ban (from reading the proposed law it would outlaw binary triggers in alabama as it is pull of the trigger and not function of a trigger) and two other anti gun rights bills. The trigger ban was introduced by a Republican. WTF! Please call you local rep to stop this craziness

From the NRA:
House Bill 12 violates Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights by making it a Class A misdemeanor for lawful citizens to not inform law-enforcement, upon request, that they are carrying or possessing firearms.

House Bill 28 removes certain exemptions for carry permit holders in order to increase “gun-free zones” where law-abiding citizens are left defenseless against violent criminals who ignore such arbitrary boundaries. It also requires minors to have written permission from parents or guardians in order to transport any firearm, not just pistols as required by current law, to approved activities, such as hunter and firearm safety education courses, target shooting, shooting competitions, hunting or fishing, or military duty.

House Bill 234 goes above and beyond federal law in banning modifications to semi-automatic firearms. It also states that individuals have a duty to inspect all firearms “prior to purchasing, selling, possessing, or using” them to ensure that they are not modified in such a manner. Those in violation are deemed to have done so knowingly. In addition, it allows law-enforcement to retain custody of firearms or parts for up to 48 hours to determine if they are illegal, even in the circumstance of a simple traffic stop. What’s worse - this is being carried by a member of the Republican majority!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock switches create a machine gun and are thus already banned in Alabama no?  I thought there was a provision against having a machine gun in violation of federal law
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock switches create a machine gun and are thus already banned in Alabama no?  I thought there was a provision against having a machine gun in violation of federal law
View Quote

Oddly enough, we have that for SBRs and SBS, but not MGs.

And  I would rather it stay that way. Having the state have their hand in the already hazy nuances of MGs and their ownership would be more of a headache than it already is.

Its not like any of the guys that cause problems with these kind of things cant be charged with something else.

And the chance that the folks who run in the circles of Montgomery can write a bill that does not have significant "unintended" consequences is not one that I will bet on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Amen, also agree with getting rid of "And whatever the Fed bans too" state laws
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]
This one goes beyond the federal law.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Under HB 12, some guy has a gun in the car somewhere, girl borrows the car, says "no" to the question, and if it later comes out that the gun is discovered, boom, class A misdemeanor for ignorance
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
GOA sent emails out on this earlier in the week.

Dear XXXX,

Even in the proudly pro-gun state of Alabama, there is legislation on the move that is dangerous to your right to keep and bear arms.

First, HB 301 greatly enhances firearms penalties, and these penalties could be used to target gun owners.

Next, HB 234 is a “trap” for gun owners. Notably, it redefines a “trigger activator” as a part that turns a semi-automatic firearm into an automatic firearm (such parts are already illegal under federal law). If such a person acquires a firearm with such a “trigger activator” (without the buyer even realizing it), then they could essentially be in possession of an “illegal” machine gun.

Gun owners should not live in fear if their gun is illegal, especially considering how often the federal government whimsically changes the definition of a machine gun.

Of course, the federal government is errant in its regulation of machine guns. However, Alabama does not need to duplicate federal law to make such an act “double illegal.”

Lastly, HB 28 would remove the exemption for citizens with carry permits to carry on school property. Sadly, the gun-free zone shown in the Covenant School shooting demonstrates why this bill should be opposed.

To date, there has never been an active shooter at any school in this country where teachers and staff can legally carry firearms. So we need more good people with guns at schools, not fewer.

Please take action here to help preserve your right to keep and bear arms in Alabama.

Thanks,

Jordan Stein
Certified Firearms Instructor
Southeast Region Director
Gun Owners of America
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top