Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2018 3:37:25 PM EDT
Does anyone here honestly believe it will pass? What is the mood in UT towards it, especially with the LDS church seemingly being against it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Most polls right now are suggesting that it will pass, even with the church's opposition. This past week, the governor said he'll call for a special session of the legislature in November to pass a bill. This is widely seen as an attempt to get people to vote No because the legislature is going to pass something.

There are provisions in Prop 2 that are poorly written and ambiguous. It's going to put law enforcement in a very tough spot too. And the ATF has already told FFL licensees in other states that the mere possession of an MM card makes a person ineligible to buy a gun. This needs to be solved at the federal level.

I'm an MD and I hate the concept of medical marijuana. Legalize it, tax it and leave me out of it.

I work in urgent Care and the ER and I have no doubt that we have people coming in, wanting me to certify them for an MM card. And sure, a few of them are kids with seizures or severe cancer or AIDS symptoms. Fine.

But that's not most of the so called MM users. They're unmotivated, unemployed smokers and addicts (but I repeat myself) who want a doctor's note to smoke doobies. No. Get out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most polls right now are suggesting that it will pass, even with the church's opposition. This past week, the governor said he'll call for a special session of the legislature in November to pass a bill. This is widely seen as an attempt to get people to vote No because the legislature is going to pass something.

There are provisions in Prop 2 that are poorly written and ambiguous. It's going to put law enforcement in a very tough spot too. And the ATF has already told FFL licensees in other states that the mere possession of an MM card makes a person ineligible to buy a gun. This needs to be solved at the federal level.

I'm an MD and I hate the concept of medical marijuana. Legalize it, tax it and leave me out of it.

I work in urgent Care and the ER and I have no doubt that we have people coming in, wanting me to certify them for an MM card. And sure, a few of them are kids with seizures or severe cancer or AIDS symptoms. Fine.

But that's not most of the so called MM users. They're unmotivated, unemployed smokers and addicts (but I repeat myself) who want a doctor's note to smoke doobies. No. Get out.
View Quote
Bummer...I was hoping it would fail to pass. Is it even close?
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, a lot can change in a month. Right now, it still looks more likely than not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]
There is talk in Colorado even by Governor Hickenlooper of wanting to ban recreational Marijuana after the impact it has had.

He warns other States to get a good baseline in their stats before jumping to conclusions.

I realize the consideration in UT currently is for medical use and not recreational.

My impression from everything I've seen so far is that this UT initiative is meant to be a gateway to recreational use, not really focused on medical use.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope it fails as well...
I know of several techs that will flat out become useless at work if it passes.

And owning guns, especially with a CFP; you will likely get red flagged for gun ownership if any of us gets a card.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is talk in Colorado even by Governor Hickenlooper of wanting to ban recreational Marijuana after the impact it has had.

He warns other States to get a good baseline in their stats before jumping to conclusions.

I realize the consideration in UT currently is for medical use and not recreational.

My impression from everything I've seen so far is that this UT initiative is meant to be a gateway to recreational use, not really focused on medical use.
View Quote
Why do you say that? Everything in Prop 2 has to do with medical marijuana. Are you suggesting that it will be like the camel getting its nose in the door and then it will be easier to get recreational MJ legalized (on a state level)? I think church members are sympathetic (and perhaps a bit gullible) for people who are suffering from pain and other severe symptoms (kids with intractable seizures and similar). But I think most church members are MUCH less likely to approve of recreational MJ usage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent off my ballot today with a no vote. I don’t think it’s medical and I do t want people asking me for a prescription. I’m also not Lds if that matters. I really don’t want utah to become Colorado either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sent off my ballot today with a no vote. I don't think it's medical and I do t want people asking me for a prescription. I'm also not Lds if that matters. I really don't want utah to become Colorado either.
View Quote
I also received my ballot today and voted no, for all of these reasons (except that I am LDS).
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I also received my ballot today and voted no, for all of these reasons (except that I am LDS).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sent off my ballot today with a no vote. I don't think it's medical and I do t want people asking me for a prescription. I'm also not Lds if that matters. I really don't want utah to become Colorado either.
Which hospital system are you with?r
ETA
If you don’t mind me asking. I take call across the south salt lake valley
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which hospital system are you with?r
ETA
If you don't mind me asking. I take call across the south salt lake valley
View Quote
I mostly do outpatient urgent Care. But I'm on staff at Jordan Valley and Alta View. I'm also still on courtesy staff in Delta and Fillmore, because I used to practice there and I still cover their ER from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I mostly do outpatient urgent Care. But I'm on staff at Jordan Valley and Alta View. I'm also still on courtesy staff in Delta and Fillmore, because I used to practice there and I still cover their ER from time to time.
View Quote
Oh ok. I’m on at altaview podiatry. Also lone peak, imc, Riverton and st marks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I genuinely hope it passes.

Prohibition of marijuana is a total and abject failure, waste of time, money and lives.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And owning guns, especially with a CFP; you will likely get red flagged for gun ownership if any of us gets a card.
View Quote
I asked Connor Boyack of Libertas Institute/Utah Patients Coalition  about this specific thing. He said, quote "BCI will not be pursuing [those with CFPs] who use MMJ."
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
As it damn well should be.

Prohibition is awful and has a batting average of zero.  All it does is create black markets, which creates crime, evasion and an even more powerful and intrusive government.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As it damn well should be.

Prohibition is awful and has a batting average of zero.  All it does is create black markets, which creates crime, evasion and an even more powerful and intrusive government.
View Quote
Yes. Which is part of why I hope it does not pass. "Partial" legalization will just create more problems. If they're going to legalize it, then do so.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 1:28:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes. Which is part of why I hope it does not pass. "Partial" legalization will just create more problems. If they're going to legalize it, then do so.
View Quote
Both sides have had the most success with incrementalism, debate around MJ notwithstanding. It seems like a decent idea to use it in reverse. Given that wholeseale recreational will be a non-starter in today's climate, it seems the only way forward is to move the needle slowly.  The LDS church does, and for the foreseeable future (until the outflow of Mormons and the influx of non-Mormons swings the legislator to be made of of non-Mormons) will continue to be the most powerful lobbying group -- without the LDS church buy-in, nothing moves.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I will vote yes and also hope it leads to recreational use.  The drug war needs to end.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The problem I have with prop 2 is the state run dispensary. Utah looses money on liquor stores how in the hell are they going to run a mj dispensary?  It will be our tax dollars paying people to smoke dope for “social anxiety”!

The sad thing is any 3rd grader in a vibrant neighborhood can make money selling mj and our legislators will f it up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The problem I have with prop 2 is the state run dispensary. Utah looses money on liquor stores how in the hell are they going to run a mj dispensary?  It will be our tax dollars paying people to smoke dope for “social anxiety”!

The sad thing is any 3rd grader in a vibrant neighborhood can make money selling mj and our legislators will f it up.
View Quote
Super late to the party, but that is why I voted no.  It can't even pay for itself.  Absolutely pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Super late to the party, but that is why I voted no.  It can't even pay for itself.  Absolutely pathetic.
View Quote
When it fails to do so, the legislature will move towards loosening it up a bit again.

Incrementalism works.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top