Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2020 11:27:02 AM EDT
Long story short is that I have been helping my wife's stepmom liquidate some firearms her dad owned.  He passed away over a year ago.  It is somewhat irritating that he had terminal cancer for 2 years and made no plans for disposition of his firearms collection.  It was nothing amazing but he had a few interesting things.

For a number of reasons I have been helping my mother in law occasionally sell items to Cabelas knowing they are buying them about 60% retail value.  According to condition and blue book values she has got fair deals from them so far.  No complaints at all on her part.  She understands that a private party sale would garner more dollars but just does not want to deal with that even when I offered to help with that.  I respect her wishes.  One item my daughter is interested purchasing from her grandma is a Remington 1100 12 gauge trap gun.  Her grandfather was into trap and skeet shooting and next year she wants to participate on the HS trap team as a freshman.

According to the blue book value the 1110 in 90% condition has a retail value of $270.  So Cabelas will likely offer her $162.  My mother in law wants me to float her a price for the 1100.  I don't want to low ball her and I don't want to offend her.

I am thinking of meeting her half-way on the price.  So $216 for the 1110 is a half-way offer.  It would be more than she would be offered by Cabelas, plus the firearm stays in the family with the connection to grandpa, and seems like a fair offer all things considered.  My wife still is irritated her dad had no plan nor liquidated his shooting stuff before he passed.  He had plenty of time to figure it out.  So a small reminder to everyone to have their wishes known...

What do you guys think about my pricing offer to her on the 1100?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a fair offer.  
Cabela's could do better.  If it's in good shape have her tell Manager she wants 250.  If they say no she can always walk out and Cabela's can still have limited used gun inventory.

If you buy it remember to get some new o-rings and maybe new operating spring if it has high round count.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I will meet her in the middle.  I know she would like to keep the 1100 in the family.  I don't think it will be any issue in purchasing it from her vs. Cabelas.  I just did not want to low ball her nor go the other extreme.

Once we get the 1100 I likely will take it to Laib's Gunsmithing in Spicer to have him once over it.  I also will have him figure out what might be most appropriate and cost effect to set it up for competition for my soon to be freshman daughter who will be in the HS trap team next year.  Essentially figure out if a new stock is appropriate and what not.  He seems to have a good reputation for the scatter gun stuff.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend the extra coin and see if Pat can/able install a Graco?? fully adjustable butt pad.  They run about 70 plus 40 to 50 per labor/hour.  Highly recommend it.  Recoil reducing are quite a bit more.  Pat should have some good recommendations though.
One of the trap coaches in my area puts them on students firearms and their scores greatly improve.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This seems incredibly low to me.
View Quote

This.

You're (Well really she's) getting ripped off if Cabela's is paying those kinds of values. Going for $600-$800 used on auction sites. I realize she doesn't want to deal w/ PP transactions, but this is highway robbery. I was a trap/skeet shooter competitively and would be willing to help or send you a really nice IM

ETA: Offer her $300. You're still getting the deal of the century and G-ma gets a few extra bucks instead of lining Cabela's pockets.
ETA2: Here's a used 1100 Trap in MN @ $610 + shipping

ETA3:  - puck
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Sam sent you an email...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top