Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 3:41:47 PM EDT
With thousands of people a year moving here and houses popping up like rows of corn, are we going to see power problems like this on a peak basis in the summers?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
likely.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree...very likely.  However, unless every politician in the state is in a coma...or handcuffed to pocket lining crooks in the energy industry, this event may have been a wakeup call.  I may be a bit naive, but I don't think Abbott is a Cuomo clone.  The last few years have taught all of us to be distrustful and any politician, but I think Abbott might do about as well as any to address and prevent future energy catastrophes as anyone.  Still, what will he and other elected officials do when it comes down to it?...very likely look out for their own pockets and futures first, then pass on what's left.  The thing with Abbott that strikes me is that he knows there's a golden goose, and you don't kill it to get the last egg.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  We actually design our systems to work in summer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There were rolling blackouts last summer in DFW.
It may have been the summer before.  Don’t remember.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m not disagreeing and I hope you are right, I’m just thinking of it from a logical perspective. You can’t import endless people, build endless houses and think there’s endless water in the lakes and power in the grid...plus we all need EVs we are told.  

Help me understand where my thinking is off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we get hit with a summer with a few weeks or a couple of months never dropping below 100, Texas will have rolling blackouts especially if there is very Lille wind the. The state needs to get ERCOT under control, relying less on green energy, winterizing power plants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Better save this thread :)  Was thinking about this very subject today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't bring the whole damn grid down, though.  And they were actually, factually, rolling; not three day affairs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If we get hit with a summer with a few weeks or a couple of months never dropping below 100, Texas will have rolling blackouts especially if there is very Lille wind the. The state needs to get ERCOT under control, relying less on green energy, winterizing power plants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, this is where the green stuff actually did make a compelling argument for Texas; it is extremely unlikely for a protracted heat wave to not have lots of wind or sun associated with it --weather just doesn't work that way.  I think we just got too fixated on our summers because we've had, what, fifteen straight years of historically hot summers that stress the grid system?  We adapted our way out of even moderate cold tolerance, at an infrastructural level.  And since moderate cold is possible in Texas (if not particularly likely), and grid failure is an existential threat in such a scenario, the resulting "risk assessment calculation" is that we were merely 'not particularly likely to experience a systemic collapse of life support functions across the whole state' --that's a pretty shitty bar for a supposedly professional company whose entire purpose is ensuring reliability.  And that's why heads need to roll at ERCOT.

We also need to dig up T Boone Pickens and slap his bones around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top